Sign in to follow this  
For the future

Need a new striker

In January 2022 we need a new striker as we had only one shot on goal and we will not win games like this the same problem as last time when we got in the premier league 😞

16 minutes ago, For the future said:

In January 2022 we need a new striker as we had only one shot on goal and we will not win games like this the same problem as last time when we got in the premier league 😞

i Was Saying About Pukki's Premiership Record but is it he is not getting the chances Created for him 

Watching Lynn play Dagenham on BT.....Grant Holt is there doing a bit o' punditry.....What I'd give to have a 10 years younger and 3 stone lighter WFLGH leading our attack.....

• Like 1

We have Josh Sargeant who was injured. Thats a new striker. I dont think he does much better than Pukki in a match like this.  Great fight from Pukki all game tho. He got a few balls in the box but his shots were blocked, on another day one of those deflects in.

Over all good preformance I'd say.

• Like 5

The link up play we had with Emi and even Vrancic through to Pukki is no longer there. If that's the only way Teemu can score goals then we have a problem and Farke will have to consider other options, like he is in other areas of the pitch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

i Was Saying About Pukki's Premiership Record but is it he is not getting the chances Created for him 

The issue is that Pukki needs good service, with Emi he had perfect passes provided  on  a plate, now he has to feed off scraps, he is also a bit slower now than last time in this league

• Like 1

This is why I don't understand people saying that Farke has no excuses this season.

We need a proven striker, and we have nothing in stone right now. 

Emi was a huge part of Pukkis success, Sargent has historically shown he's not a proficient goal scorer, the remaining hope sits with Idah. 

It's a real concern, I don't doubt Pukkis ability to find the net. But if he's crowded out every game it's beyond his physical ability to achieve anything. 

What's more we've seen proven strikers sell for less money than we received for Emi. Yes wages are an issue, but if survival is worth 100mil then you just have to go for it. 

We'll have to sell players if we go down due to their ambition to stay in prem anyway, so it's not like the biggest risk to be taking when it's evident that we cannot survive without goals. 

44 minutes ago, shruk4 said:

We have Josh Sargeant who was injured. Thats a new striker. I dont think he does much better than Pukki in a match like this.  Great fight from Pukki all game tho. He got a few balls in the box but his shots were blocked, on another day one of those deflects in.

Which other day is this then. It has been the story of Pukki for too long. Farkes loyalty to him is not paying off. Pukki is not Prem quality. 

One hopes we'll see both Rashica & Tzlosis playing behind Sargent/Pukki, and Cantwell/Dowell fighting for the No.10 spot. 

Four "nightmare games on paper" out of the way. A crazy internal break out of the way.

Lets hope Kabak & Normann now get a good week of training, and Omo looks the future, perhaps with Kabak. Normann in midfield we hope brings greater protection. Lets hope Sargent gets over his tiredness. One has to ask how many games we give a non firing Pukki the starting spot. I can't believe we paid £8m for Sargent to have him on bench majority of the time

IMO playing a front three of Pukki and two others doesn't give us anywhere near enough fire power and I just feel we need three behind our front man to give us that. Unfortunately that means we have to sacrifice the midfield and I feel Farke prefer three in there, which doesn't allow the attacking intent. Frustrating 

We have sent him to war with a gun this season but everyone also has guns and some have tanks too.

We'll have a much better grasp of where we are once we've seen Normann, Kabak and a bottom end opposition.

Edited by KeiranShikari

2 hours ago, shruk4 said:

They are different players. Sergant has a lot more strength and is happy to push players about physically. He's also throwing himself at the 6yard box for crosses. That's not to say his movement isn't good, it perhaps isn't as experienced as Pukki's yet. Hard to judge on his finishing at this point as he's started one game and scored two goals in the cup against Bournemouth.

Pukki is all about clever running. His runs are intelligent, and that is what a lot of his game has been about. He willingly runs the channels to wear down the opposition, but I would say he is at his happiest getting a ball into his feet around the edges of the area to take a touch and shoot. He isn't always throwing himself at that 6yard box. At a guess it's because he isn't that big an aerial player.

I do wonder if at times we need someone up front who is willing to push and shove a bit. Love him or hate him Deeney was quite a consistent scorer for Watford in the Prem and a lot of his game was "hustle", he had a nice turn of pace and knew where the goal was as well. Much like our very own Grant Holt in fact.

Pukki is at his best when our passing is pulling and stretching teams creating space for him to run into and take advantage of. When we are being closed down quickly and the balls to him are a bit more rushed, I don't feel he is the best we have at shielding the ball and holding it up.

• Like 1

To be fair. Pukki had 1 chance which was brilliantly blocked by the Arsenal defender who literally threw his body in the line of fire. Had the defender not done that, Pukki would have scored and we'd be sitting here saying how great Pukki's finish was, and that 1-1 was an impressive result that kick started our season!

• Like 4

i like Pukki, but equally I would prefer a big centre forward, who can play with his back towards goal, good in the air and can finish to boot. We missed the boat on Lukaku. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

To be fair. Pukki had 1 chance which was brilliantly blocked by the Arsenal defender who literally threw his body in the line of fire

When he controlled it in the box was a really classy moment too, but as you say Arsenal soon got back to block.

We're not playing like we did a year or 2 ago. Even if Pukki did score it would be chalked off because 20 years ago he sneezed on a deli counter. 

He's a great player, just now playing in a more defensive team. He's our best striker since Holt so let's support the guy

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

We're not playing like we did a year or 2 ago. Even if Pukki did score it would be chalked off because 20 years ago he sneezed on a deli counter. 

He's a great player, just now playing in a more defensive team. He's our best striker since Holt so let's support the guy

Everyone supports the guy, but it is reasonable to debate if he's not up to this standard anymore? It happens to all players, let's not forget he's massively off form for Finland too this year. 

We definitely need a new striker , pukki is a good championship striker but no good in premiership, idah despite several starts with Ireland has failed to score , Sargent is our only hope but his performance for USA has not been great . Been here before when we stuck with cam 

Edited by Yellowhammer

3 hours ago, percy varco said:

Which other day is this then. It has been the story of Pukki for too long. Farkes loyalty to him is not paying off. Pukki is not Prem quality. 

Pukki has scored I think 62 goals for norwich in something like 120 matches. You make it sound like they are some type of friends. Pukki scores goals, thats what he does. And if he plays in the Premier league and stays healthy he will do so. 

If Idah or Sargeant show in training something that makes Farke determine they are a better choice they will start. But neither of them has the body of work that Pukki has that indicates they will score very much in this league

9 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Nobody going to mention all the goals Pukki has scored for Finland without Emi? Give him a break. It's been a ridiculously hard start for the team.

Yeah. It is undeniable that the Emi + Pukki partnership was incredible. But Pukki doesnt simply finish, his nice runs are a huge part of that. If you look at most of Emi's assist they arent rocket science, just nicely weighted through balls along the ground. 

A lot of Pukki's goals for Finland have been assisted by Robin Lod. A guy who plays in the MLS for Minnesota united. No reason why our other players cant hit a nice through ball now and again. However the playstyle with with one less attacking midfielder, no no. 10 gives us much less weight in our attack.

However I think its only a matter of time until the group of new players find a way to score goals from open play. Our player material is too good for that. So far we have seen a lot of changes to our starting XI. With time it will begin to solidify. It seems we have a good base to work from with McLean and PLM in midfield, Hanley, Williams, Aarons in defence. these players are starting to find their feet. The results will come, everyone should relax. Trust in the boss.

16 minutes ago, shruk4 said:

Yeah. It is undeniable that the Emi + Pukki partnership was incredible. But Pukki doesnt simply finish, his nice runs are a huge part of that. If you look at most of Emi's assist they arent rocket science, just nicely weighted through balls along the ground. 

A lot of Pukki's goals for Finland have been assisted by Robin Lod. A guy who plays in the MLS for Minnesota united. No reason why our other players cant hit a nice through ball now and again. However the playstyle with with one less attacking midfielder, no no. 10 gives us much less weight in our attack.

However I think its only a matter of time until the group of new players find a way to score goals from open play. Our player material is too good for that. So far we have seen a lot of changes to our starting XI. With time it will begin to solidify. It seems we have a good base to work from with McLean and PLM in midfield, Hanley, Williams, Aarons in defence. these players are starting to find their feet. The results will come, everyone should relax. Trust in the boss.

If I could be arsed, I would drag up the stats I dug out.

Basically, when people are saying that the "partnership" between Pukki and Emi was good, they often mean that Emi assisted the majority of his goals. It isn't accurate. Emi may have assisted Pukki more than any other one player in our team, but it isn't to that great a percentage. In fact I would put money on Pukki assisting Emi more.

What was more key was Emi being on the same wavelength in passing as to the movement that Pukki likes to make. That may not have scored goals but it would have contributed to our forward play quite heavily.

The issue we have at the moment is that two of our new forward players arrived after the season had started, the others that were already here didn't have much of a pre-season, especially when you take into account Rashica self isolating as per regulations when he arrived. That leaves you with a squad, as Todd put it, still trying to learn their "new roles" and getting used to each other and each others' games and doing so with two of the most difficult fixtures of any premier league calendar for any side in this league. 

• Like 2

I wonder if it might be worth trying McLean in that position. He's played there before and is good in the air. 

Pukki seems to have a few games when he doesnt score but when he regains his confidence he's prolific. 

13 hours ago, Samwam27 said:

One hopes we'll see both Rashica & Tzlosis playing behind Sargent/Pukki, and Cantwell/Dowell fighting for the No.10 spot. 

Four "nightmare games on paper" out of the way. A crazy internal break out of the way.

Lets hope Kabak & Normann now get a good week of training, and Omo looks the future, perhaps with Kabak. Normann in midfield we hope brings greater protection. Lets hope Sargent gets over his tiredness. One has to ask how many games we give a non firing Pukki the starting spot. I can't believe we paid £8m for Sargent to have him on bench majority of the time

IMO playing a front three of Pukki and two others doesn't give us anywhere near enough fire power and I just feel we need three behind our front man to give us that. Unfortunately that means we have to sacrifice the midfield and I feel Farke prefer three in there, which doesn't allow the attacking intent. Frustrating 

Krul

Arrons kabak omo Williams

Normann gilmour

Tzolis cantwell rashica

Pukki 

Starting 11 against Watford and then keep the back 6 in front of krul consistent for the next several games. The front 4 can be rotated/subs where necessary.

52 minutes ago, Yella Army said:

Krul

Arrons kabak omo Williams

Normann gilmour

Tzolis cantwell rashica

Pukki 

Starting 11 against Watford and then keep the back 6 in front of krul consistent for the next several games. The front 4 can be rotated/subs where necessary.

This would be my favoured line up. Without Buendia, who linked up so well with Pukki, the latter may well score far less goals, as the Premiership doesn't give so much space, which Pukki thrives on. Our style has also changed, and I'm all for giving Sargent, who will give more hustle and bustle and physical nuisance up front.

I also think Pukki might now benefit from a subs role against tired legs 

With Pukki and Sargent  both playing and alternating between No 9 and No 10 I feel we would be far more of a threat. We still have two new players to bring into the side who could strengthen it considerably, but they need time to settle in and accustom themselves to the way we play. Just glance at yesterday's bench, have you ever known Norwich to have such quality available there. I see it as Pukki, Sargent as 9 and 10 with Idah as the backup with Tzolis, Cantwell and Rashica competing for the wide positions. The big test will be whether Normannn will be good enough to allow Gilmour to play.  

19 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

With Pukki and Sargent  both playing and alternating between No 9 and No 10 I feel we would be far more of a threat. We still have two new players to bring into the side who could strengthen it considerably, but they need time to settle in and accustom themselves to the way we play. Just glance at yesterday's bench, have you ever known Norwich to have such quality available there. I see it as Pukki, Sargent as 9 and 10 with Idah as the backup with Tzolis, Cantwell and Rashica competing for the wide positions. The big test will be whether Normannn will be good enough to allow Gilmour to play.  

The bench looked strong because at least 5 of them should have been in the starting line up.

If they were , the bench would have probably looked quite limited