Capt. Pants

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Arsenal ****

We just don't create enough chances. Whether we are scared to push too many forward or its not in our tactics I don't know.

But today we weathered the early storm and then controlled for good periods but never really looked like scoring.

We have to change something or we are going to end up the whipping boys. 

Next game is already a must win.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chicken said:

I think the current argument is that Williams touched it. My view on that is it is the single most stupid rule change in recent history of football. If you kick it against a player, or a player chooses not to gamble on whether a player is offside and try to intercept it but touches it on, it's not offside.

Now, with VAR, they should axe that, and go back to simplicity of "when the ball is played forward" again. Would make VAR a lot simpler.

That can be the only reason IMHO. 

Williams playing it can be the only reason. Otherwise Aubemayang is offside in an active position when the original shot hits the post, the rebound is played forward by an Arsenal player not Williams, or when it comes off Pepe's back.

If Pepe is given the assist, which I believe he has, then Aubemayang has to be offside

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

If you want to believe that there's some conspiracy against Norwich, then please do knock yourself out; I guess it's the right day for it.

Shame to lose after giving it a decent go.

OTBC

Can you explain why we constantly get shafted by ref's at this level then? That isn't a rhetorical question I'm really asking. Explain these decisions to me then for and against us then without suggesting bias. Go ahead

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

On the plus side. OM and Williams stepped up. Rupp did well in the first half. Krul is back to his best (ignoring 2 scary moments late in the second half when he was closed down). If Rashica can get his crossing sorted, he looks a threat.

2 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

The big club bias is sickening. Give me the Championship

Here we go. How about we try and fight relegation first. Some of us like to see our team play against top level.

I hope the players have a bit more fight than some of you lot on here.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Can you explain why we constantly get shafted by ref's at this level then? That isn't a rhetorical question I'm really asking. Explain these decisions to me then for and against us then without suggesting bias. Go ahead

I believe we came bottom of the VAR decision table last time around - ie most VAR decisions against us

We all know that it's fine margins in the Premier League but my lord Lady Luck always goes against us.

We score a boarderline goal... offside.

They score a boarderline goal... goal stands.

We shoot.... blocked.

They shoot... deflected and in.

Salah miscontrol.... perfect throughball to Jota. Goal.

I'm sure other fans would cry sour grapes but it seems to have been the way since Cameron Jerome's disallowed overhead kick.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

For me, Rashica clearly has talent, but his first three crosses (including a corner) failed to beat the first man. Wasn't he brought in for crossing? I'm concerned for Pukki. Defences have the measure of him now.

Farke said to him "You're Emi's replacement, do exactly what he did and you'll be alright" but forgot that Emi was s h i t at corners. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

Here we go. How about we try and fight relegation first. Some of us like to see our team play against top level.

I hope the players have a bit more fight than some of you lot on here.

Im talking about the brand and the league in general, as the arrogant actions of 'the big six' with their breakaway league showed. Arsenal are part of the brand and they always get protected. The Premier League documentary should have been about Utd, Villa and Norwich. Instead it was a Utd Shearer w*nkfest. **** this league

Just now, The Great Mass Debater said:

I believe we came bottom of the VAR decision table last time around - ie most VAR decisions against us

Yep, why is that then? If it's not officials conspiring against us because they don't like traveling to Norwich and how we don't generate publicity for Sky then what is it then? Are we just co-incidentally the unluckiest club in the world? Because I don't believe in luck, things happen for a reason and the reason in this instance is that everyone involved with the PL thinks we don't belong at this level. 

Some Plus Points But little matters unless you score 

Farke has to sort the Team out Attacking wise 

Better to go down Fighting creating chances got to try something else upfront 

How many games in the Premier League without scoring from open play now for Pukki ?  14 /15 games ? not getting chances or PL to much ?? 

something needs to change tactics or  upfront in the PL it is not working 

Edited by norfolkngood

Just now, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Yep, why is that then? If it's not officials conspiring against us because they don't like traveling to Norwich and how we don't generate publicity for Sky then what is it then? Are we just co-incidentally the unluckiest club in the world? Because I don't believe in luck, things happen for a reason and the reason in this instance is that everyone involved with the PL thinks we don't belong at this level. 

Well, we're compliant to that view, aren't we. Be lovely to have a bit about us to prove everyone wrong. 

9 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Can you explain why we constantly get shafted by ref's at this level then? That isn't a rhetorical question I'm really asking. Explain these decisions to me then for an against is then without suggesting bias. Go ahead

We don't imo; no more than anyone else. Mistakes can happen, of course, because...we are only human. I'm not sure if it's offside or not - I'd need to see the video again from all the angles - if it hit someone, it changes everything. I think it might have done.

Like I said, go all tinfoil hat all you like but I won't be coming with you in the back of the van.

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap

Just now, norfolkngood said:

How many games in the Premier League without scoring from open play now ?  14 /15 games ?

We've scored 2 goals against top opposition. There was nothing wrong with McLean's goal so I'm counting it. We set up to defend and counter today which was the right decision we were never going to create loads of chances and Arsenal would have scored against us without the ref's help if we did go too attacking. 

11 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

We've only played four games, you thicket. 

Who cares four or five still got 0 points and yes the 5th game is next Sat but not holding my breath - and thanks for the pleasantry 

Im not angry about the performance, Im angry that, once again, as we look to be taking something from Arsenal, the officials step in.

We did ok today. Goal-scoring a worry but otherwise performed very well. Liverpool we were always in the game despite the scoreline. I missed the Leicester game as out with the kids so cant comment, but by all accounts we were very unlucky. So the only woeful performance has been Man City. Scoreline not unexpected but manner of performance was awful.

Just now, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

We don't imo; no more than anyone else. Mistakes can happen, of course, because...we are only human. I'm not sure if it's offside or not - I'd need to see the video again from all the angles - if it hit someone, it changes everything. I think it might have done.

Like I said, go all tinfoil hat all you like but I won't be coming with you in the back of the van.

OTBC

Seriously? 

I know other people aren't lucky enough to have weekends off like me, but I watch a lot of football and no other club get's treated like we do at this level. Do you watch other games in full? Trust me, the way we're treated is not normal. 

27 minutes ago, BaltimoreBird said:

Krul has been awful today simply putting the ball in to play

I've said a few times gunn to start ahead of krul. He is good keeper but time to change

Just now, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Seriously? 

I know other people aren't lucky enough to have weekends off like me, but I watch a lot of football and no other club get's treated like we do at this level. Do you watch other games in full? Trust me, the way we're treated is not normal. 

I do watch the odd other game but not loads, no. 

Let's just agree to disagree; it's all just opinions after all.

OTBC

3 minutes ago, Bomber said:

Who cares four or five still got 0 points and yes the 5th game is next Sat but not holding my breath - and thanks for the pleasantry 

Please do. 

• Haha 1

A few were wetting themselves ever since the fixture list was published. Well you got what you expected, 0 points, personally I think Arsenal are nothing more than mid table mediocrity.

The season starts next week, absolutely no excuses with hopefully a full squad to pick from. Gilmour and Normann simply have to start.

6 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

How many games in the Premier League without scoring from open play now ?  14 /15 games ?

Poor final balls still. Rashica running with his head down to the byline and getting a corner when we had two midfielders unmarked in the box for a cutback was just typical. Max’s overhit cross when we had an overload in the box another example. Need better quality and decision making at this level.

• Like 1

Just now, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

I do watch the odd other game but not loads, no. 

Let's just agree to disagree; it's all just opinions after all.

OTBC

Of course, I'm not arguing with anyone. But i just think in this one instance, because I watch a lot of football I can stand up for my opinion on this. Normally i don't argue, but the way we're ref'd compared to other teams just absolutely makes my blood boil and I do sometimes get frustrated when other fans don't see it because to me it is glaring, like full beam headlights straight into your eyes, glaring, obvious and a bit of a scandal that nobody wants to talk about. This should be a discussion because I think as paying fans we deserve an explanation as to why we're constantly and blatantly being cheated

22 minutes ago, chicken said:

I think the current argument is that Williams touched it. My view on that is it is the single most stupid rule change in recent history of football. If you kick it against a player, or a player chooses not to gamble on whether a player is offside and try to intercept it but touches it on, it's not offside.

Now, with VAR, they should axe that, and go back to simplicity of "when the ball is played forward" again. Would make VAR a lot simpler.

That can be the only reason IMHO. 

I don’t get that though. It hit the Arsenal player before getting to him as well.

So surely either both touches that weren’t deliberate count, so it’s offside, or none do in which case…it’s offside.

Just now, Dean Coneys boots said:

Lose to Watford and things will look very bleak indeed…

God, I hope you're not touching yourself as you type this. 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

We've scored 2 goals against top opposition. There was nothing wrong with McLean's goal so I'm counting it. We set up to defend and counter today which was the right decision we were never going to create loads of chances and Arsenal would have scored against us without the ref's help if we did go too attacking. 

Also, we had 10 shots today. When Brentford beat Arsenal, they only had 8. We done ok on the counter today and a draw would have been a decent result.