Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Raducanu

On 10/09/2021 at 11:47, Greavsy said:

Early nomination for (young - if they still have that category?) sports personality of the year.

Whilst im thinking of it - I guess England Football will get team of the year too. 

Winner of Sports Personality Of The Year probably. A big improvement on last year's winner😊

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Well done to her but can the love in for someone most had never heard of stop after Monday?

Nope.... 😏

I can remember watching the Wimbledon final on TV in 1977, I was still at school. Virginia Wade was one of the  top players but it’s fair to say she was very fortunate with the way the draw went that year and normally was not in with a real chance of actually winning. Whereas Raducanu has won the US Open at age 18 without dropping a set and has every chance of becoming world no 1. I think we’ll be seeing an awful lot more of her. Fantastic to have a Brit in her position.

5 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

I can remember watching the Wimbledon final on TV in 1977, I was still at school. Virginia Wade was one of the  top players but it’s fair to say she was very fortunate with the way the draw went that year and normally was not in with a real chance of actually winning. Whereas Raducanu has won the US Open at age 18 without dropping a set and has every chance of becoming world no 1. I think we’ll be seeing an awful lot more of her. Fantastic to have a Brit in her position.

Raducanu was also fortunate with the way the draw opened up in all fairness but you've got to do the work to win it and that she did, beating a couple of top players. I think the real test comes now she's peaked, if she can keep up that level of tennis she's a dead ringer for more major titles

13 minutes ago, AJ said:

Raducanu was also fortunate with the way the draw opened up in all fairness but you've got to do the work to win it and that she did, beating a couple of top players. I think the real test comes now she's peaked, if she can keep up that level of tennis she's a dead ringer for more major titles

It’s a good point and I was thinking going into the final that Fernandez had beaten some much higher ranked players than she had, obviously I needn’t have worried . Time will tell but I think it’s a definite changeover at the top and we’ll see a lot more of both of them at the top end of the rankings.

2 hours ago, AJ said:

She might of been fortunate, but she didn't drop a set all tournament. Takes some doing, no matter who you play.

Edited by Ward 3

On 12/09/2021 at 20:33, A Load of Squit said:

🤣

When asked if Piers Morgan's views had encouraged her, Emma replied "Sorry, I don't know who she is."

Did someone seriously ask that?!

Edited by PurpleCanary

I hope she isn't persuaded to change the team around her - they might not be well known names, but they have obviously done a very good job. Her decision making and adaptability was very impressive given her experience. I've watched her last three games, and in each one she has unsettled the other player - Emma doesn't have a glaring weakness which they can attack and she keeps varying things, like doing a slow first serve - it reminded me of T20 cricket bowling.

2 hours ago, AJ said:

That's true, although not dropping a set even against lesser opponents, considering she was a qualifier herself, made me optimistic.

She even won me some money! Thought she was capable of doing it in 2 sets and serving most aces. Incredibly talented.

This won't even be her peak - she's not played enough matches - experience against the best players will strengthen her further

Not lucky at all, they are seeded on form. Fernandez looked a quality player, (but terrible sportsmanship) and had the majority of the crowd on her side. But she, like everyone else couldn't get anywhere near Raducanu, who lost points rather than her opponent winning them. 

• Like 1

Well done to her but talk of a gong is surely OTT.   Winning one Grand Slam tournament will earn her millions but I would expect her to win at least Wimbledon to merit an award.

On 12/09/2021 at 12:36, dylanisabaddog said:

Winner of Sports Personality Of The Year probably. A big improvement on last year's winner😊

What have you ot against one of the greatest British champions of all time. Don’t tell me he is a tax exile as it appears he is in the top 5% of tax payers to the Exchequer.

15 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

What have you ot against one of the greatest British champions of all time. Don’t tell me he is a tax exile as it appears he is in the top 5% of tax payers to the Exchequer.

He may be in the top 5%  as you say but that doesn't mean he has paid all that was due. As per the attached (which is the first article I found, there are others). There are also other sportspersons / celebs etc who flout the rules.  

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/nov/06/lewis-hamilton-avoided-taxes-jet-isle-of-man-scheme-paradise-papers

• Like 1

The awards committee have turned him down because of the tax issue. When the evidence was shown to them that he does pay enormous sums of tax they then awarded him his knighthood. Having the joint greatest number of world titles in F1 made it difficult to not award it. If Emma Raducanu is worthy of an award for one grand slam win Lewis certainly deserves his knighthood,

22 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

The awards committee have turned him down because of the tax issue. When the evidence was shown to them that he does pay enormous sums of tax they then awarded him his knighthood. Having the joint greatest number of world titles in F1 made it difficult to not award it. If Emma Raducanu is worthy of an award for one grand slam win Lewis certainly deserves his knighthood,

I wouldn't mind if Raducanu got an award, it was an astonishing and absolutely historical achievement in the world of tennis, but awards are usually there for longer term career achievements, so it's a bit early imo.  Lewis Hamilton?  You can't knock his achievements, but F1 is not what it used to be.

1 hour ago, Crafty Canary said:

Not until he pays his full tax bill... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crafty Canary said:

It's not about paying enormous amounts it's about paying the right amount. 

18 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

Why exactly do you think he lives in Monaco? He pays withholding tax on his UK sporting earnings but so do Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Co. What you need to consider is how much more he would be paying if he hadn't walked out on a country the minute he signed his first big contract. 

Shortly after he left he was interviewed by Jonathan Ross and admitted to moving for tax reasons.