Who thinks Norwich will stay up? I believe we will and with points to spare. All should be clearer in the next month and hopefully positive results are on the horizon. 

Tozolis is my pick to be key to improving our position but what does anyone else think? 

Far to early to say. Don't take this as negative but we have lost from our squad from last season the player who made us click upfront and the player who screened  for us at the back. We have signed a number of players with promise but we will have to wait and see. I missed the Bournemouth game so have never seen tzolis play but his direct opponent had spent the last two seasons on loan at Weymouth. We have so many things that at the moment are impossible to predict as we have not seen them play together. If the players hit their potential then we will be alright but it's still a big ask for young players with a new team in a new league. 

At this point I think it looks a good bit rosier than two years ago. Need a lot to go right though, e.g. Pukki to regain his sharpness, Normann to be a hit, the goal burden to be shared around beyond the Goat (e.g. Rashica, Cantwell, Sargent, Idah, central midfield...), be a bit more cynical in midfield (even though I don't really like to see it), reasonable luck with injuries, to be more effective at both defensive & offensive set-pieces compared to two years ago etc.

I'm reserving judgment until the end of November.

My feeling at this stage is that we will stay up, but it's by no means certain. We've strengthened every position except perhaps WR, although we need to remember that Buendia's greatest years were in the Championship. His goals and assists dried up considerably in the PL just as Pukki's goals dropped from 29 to 11 in the PL whereas the new players have all achieved at the top level in various countries. That has to translate into PL achievement and I think it will, though we won't really know until the mid point around Christmas when we've played all of the other teams.

The squad is way stronger than the last two seasons but the doubt is whether the first 11 is stronger.  Even if we go down, barring some unforeseen meltdown or mutiny the club is in an incredible position and I fully expect us to bounce back even stronger. 

Unlikely but the new signings give me some hope.

I'm a bit concerned we will give them a whole load of "time to adapt" when we really don't have that luxury.

If they are good enough then they should be bang on it within a couple of games so we can get some points on the board. Admittedly it may be a tall order though.

The signing of Normann does feel pretty pivotal saying that. He looks like he was our primary target and seems to be in great shape ready to make an instant impact. We only really need one of Tzolis, Rashica or Sargent to have that same instant impact provided Pukki and Cantwell can contribute as expected and I believe our defence is far better equipped now to help us.

5 hours ago, Mr.Carrow said:

The squad is way stronger than the last two seasons but the doubt is whether the first 11 is stronger.  Even if we go down, barring some unforeseen meltdown or mutiny the club is in an incredible position and I fully expect us to bounce back even stronger. 

Injuries meant we never really had a first 11 last time around but on performances I'd say this was our strongest 11.

Krul

Aarons - Godfrey - Hanley - Lewis

Tettey - McLean

Buendia - Stiepermann - Cantwell

Pukki

Time will tell with our current 11 but I can't help think it's already stronger than that.

Far more experience at the back and a better left back. Godfrey of 2 years ago vs Kabak/Gibson now will be interesting.

Tettey should not have needed to start the number of games he did. McLean is a better player now. Stiepermann just didn't cut the mustard but Duda didn't du anything either. As good as Buendia was he wasn't winning us games like in the Championship, putting his numbers for villa against the likes of Rashica and Tzolis will be interesting I expect.

Pukki, a couple of years older perhaps but still a good player. We seemingly have a couple of other real options this time too unlike last time around with Drmic.

• Like 1

Good summary.

The bottom line is that we are miles better. Unrecognisable, in fact.

As important will be the lessons learned, by Farke re: tactics, and, by Webber, in order to avoid the selective injury crisis that scuppered our chances last time around.

Edited by BroadstairsR

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

No. I think we will look back and say that we wished exciting pacey youngsters when we needed big physical units. I hope I am wrong 

BINGO!😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We appear to have given ourselves every chance with the additional signings. I don't think  anyone could deny we are stronger than our best XI from 2 years ago. I'm confident there will be 3 worse teams than us.

I think the league in general is stronger which will make it more difficult, but still possible. In other words I have no doubt we are in with a shout but need others to have a meltdown. I'm thinking Newcastle, Southampton, Brentford, Watford, Burnley, Palace and wolves will be in and around us. 

• Like 1

I think we will go down , with a start like this and not having a settled side yet ... playing catch up is a very very hard thing to do and losing is a bad habit. 

I hope I am wrong , I really hope so...

I think it is more likely that Norwich go down than stay up. Not that it represents a massive failure if the club is relegated - whether the season is a success or not shouldn't simply come down to the difference between 17th and 18th.

This is one of the strongest ever Premier Leagues and while some of the established clubs hasn't been able to strengthen as much as they might have done if Covid wasn't a thing the sheer quality throughout the league is high. 

Norwich have a lot of new players to bed in and had the worst pre-season in memory. There is no escaping the fact that it takes time for new players to perform at their top level and it can take even longer when they are coming in from other leagues. 

Hopefully, Norwich can build up some momentum over the season and finish really strongly to avoid the drop - feel it needs at least one, possibly two other teams to completely implode - which is obviously beyond the club's control.

• Like 2

Depends on what other clubs do in the Jan window. 

For example my friend is a Wolves fan and he was concerned they didn’t sign new players over the summer window, having watched them play Utd they looked toothless.

Palace as another example have had a hell of a rebuilding job on their hands…

Anyway, what I’m saying is, will other teams, in a panic, add quality to their sides in Jan which will prove the difference?? Most likely. 

Im still also uncertain as to whether we’ll score enough. 

If we do go down again we can’t say we didn’t give it a good go this time, but that worries me that our ‘good go’ just isn’t enough. 

10 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Too early. I'll judge our chances by Christmas.

Unlike you to sit back and take time to make a considered judgement before posting. 😜

I'm as sure as eggs is eggs this thread will inevitably resurface at the end of our season.....maybe earlier, who knows?......

Is the positioning of our fullbacks going to improve and can PLM, Normann and Mclean compete for possession in midfield and disrupt attacks. If so then we will be tight enough at the back.

Can we effectively transition the ball from our deeper lying midfielders to our attacking players and can we do it quickly enough. If so we will score. 

Those three things for me are key and until they are answered I have genuinely no idea. Its not exactly a complex appraisal but I think those are the questions that matter.

Edited by 1902
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I think it is more likely that Norwich go down than stay up. Not that it represents a massive failure if the club is relegated - whether the season is a success or not shouldn't simply come down to the difference between 17th and 18th.

This is one of the strongest ever Premier Leagues and while some of the established clubs hasn't been able to strengthen as much as they might have done if Covid wasn't a thing the sheer quality throughout the league is high. 

Norwich have a lot of new players to bed in and had the worst pre-season in memory. There is no escaping the fact that it takes time for new players to perform at their top level and it can take even longer when they are coming in from other leagues. 

Hopefully, Norwich can build up some momentum over the season and finish really strongly to avoid the drop - feel it needs at least one, possibly two other teams to completely implode - which is obviously beyond the club's control.

The pre-season was really unfortunate but maybe the fact we've had fixtures where we wouldn't be expecting points is actually a bit of a blessing so long as the management and coaches can keep morale high.

Overall I agree with what you say. I think we'll be far closer to survival than last time but if it'll be enough is hard to judge. We'll rightly be one of the favourites for relegation and will have to perform above our individual abilities quite regularly. Cautiously optimistic.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

The pre-season was really unfortunate but maybe the fact we've had fixtures where we wouldn't be expecting points is actually a bit of a blessing so long as the management and coaches can keep morale high.

Overall I agree with what you say. I think we'll be far closer to survival than last time but if it'll be enough is hard to judge. We'll rightly be one of the favourites for relegation and will have to perform above our individual abilities quite regularly. Cautiously optimistic.

It definitely was better that than having Watford, Brentford, Newcastle in the first few weeks - but doesn't change the fact it was a disaster and put Norwich on the back foot straight away.

Would have been tough without many changes to the squad, but to have that while trying to integrate a bunch of new players made it particularly bad. Think the lack of cohesion across the midfield is a direct impact. 

If Farke can get Rashica out of his funk that he had last season and get some confidence into him then Norwich will have a real weapon in attack. Have to remember that several of the new boys are coming in off personally difficult seasons so will need to find their form. 

Considering the first 4 games it wasn't hard to predict we would be in this position or similar. Whilst there was positives against Leicester, if we can take those positives into the Arsenal game and then next four games will be crucial for the season (Watford H, Everton A, Burnley A, Brighton H).

If we can get 8+ points from these 5 games I think we will stay up comfortably, will take the result pressure off the team and give a very young side confidence and momentum.

5 points or less, it's likely we will come up short. 

6 and 7 points, likely to go to the last few games.