Mullet

A liverpool fans perspective

42 minutes ago, WD40 said:

We’ve broken our transfer record, what, 3 times this window? Each acquisition has improved their position and is pushing for a start, and not languishing on the bench like the players we’ve let go. Filled all the holes in the squad we needed to. What more could Webber do?

Its over to Farke, and I am backing him for sure. But if the team doesn’t perform then we have to change unless there are mitigating circumstances. We need to make progress by staying in the league. No time for sentimentality. 

Over the top chaps!! It's cliché  wars  time!!  Gung ho!!  Corporate  waffle!! Blah  blah!! Do .... or die!!! 😅🤣😅🤣😅🤣😅😅🤣🥳😅

2 minutes ago, WD40 said:

And? Have WE added better quality. I’m surprised there are so many negatives Nancy’s on here saying we haven’t. 

I'm really not negative. 

Have we added quality,  possibly,  we have added potentially very good players that are yet to see much premier league football, so we don't know.

Anywaym its possibly irrelevant as the question is have we added enough quality relative to our rivals. 

Additionally transfer records are irrelevant because football clubs are terrible at accurately valuing players (hence Joelinton), that's literally the gap in the system that webber is trying to game. However by extension,  he can also misvalue players, so these signings might not work. 

Laying an expectation on a manager based on the spending of a director of football is unfair if the director of football gets it wrong.  Its also pointless quoting a transfer record as meaningful when it's nothing relative to the rest of the league. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Over the top chaps!! It's cliché  wars  time!!  Gung ho!!  Corporate  waffle!! Blah  blah!! Do .... or die!!! 😅🤣😅🤣😅🤣😅😅🤣🥳😅

Ha ha 👏🏻👏🏻 Brilliant! 😂😂😂 🥸🤡🥸

12 hours ago, WD40 said:

I said we’ve added quality, that is better quality players than we had. Can Farke do something with the better quality that he’s been given. I’m hoping so. But if he can’t…

You said we had quality in every position and implying that he should go at Christmas if we don't perform, I asked you to define quality - which you didn't, and still haven't.

Again, if you think the players are at least 17th best squad in the league then we'll be fine, if they're not then how is throwing the manager out after 3.5 months the solution?

They're all signings for the future with the hope they can deliver short-term, but people like you are acting like they're the finished article.

Let's get it right, He's got the biggest job on his hands right now, an massive squad change of players coming from different nations most with no experience of the English game, let alone the Prem league, several of which involved in relegation themselves previously.

You mention that we have better quality players than we had previously - Let's talk goals, Who's the better combo than Emi and Pukki in our squad?  It's that combo that's got us here twice in a row, and is no more.  And what about replacing Skipp with more quality?

Truth is, we don't even know who'll be our starting striker at Christmas it's a massive gamble at this point. 

We could've added 2-3 proven players to our squad as the alternative.  The likes of Billing, and maybe gone in for a player around Ings level with the Emi money, and then peppered around that with the likes of Rashica/Tzolis as an Emi replacement.

We could've saved 8m on Gibson and pushed the extra 5m into a player like Ajer, too.  Because there's no way Gibson will be starting for us within the next few months, will just be a bench sitter as he lacks pace and ineffective in the air.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

You said we had quality in every position and implying that he should go at Christmas if we don't perform, I asked you to define quality - which you didn't, and still haven't.

Again, if you think the players are at least 17th best squad in the league then we'll be fine, if they're not then how is throwing the manager out after 3.5 months the solution?

I don’t have to do anything for you, pal, and won’t be drawn any further into your pathetic point scoring.

I do believe the squad is at least 17th best in the league, so if we’re struggling the problem is with the manager. That’s my view on it.

Have a good one. 

7 minutes ago, WD40 said:

I don’t have to do anything for you, pal, and won’t be drawn any further into your pathetic point scoring.

Sure, posting as a fake 'google bot' name trying to point score from 'wd40' is the height of my success.

Trust me, there's no point scoring here it's just a discussion which has somehow triggered you when I've questioned what you've posted publicly - whatever I've done I can only apologise as there was no intent other than understanding what's formed your opinion.

I only asked you to define 'quality', as it's meaningless without some context, i.e. Which player combo at least matches Emi/Pukki? Again, genuine question, and one you either can't answer or won't? 

Do we at least have a player of Skipp's level in the squad? Again, genuine question.

10 minutes ago, WD40 said:

I do believe the squad is at least 17th best in the league, so if we’re struggling the problem is with the manager. That’s my view on it.

I hope you're right, personally, there's too many unknowns that it's going to take at least a month to know this for sure.

Dare I ask the 3 squads that you consider weaker, or is that pushing my luck now?  Again, genuine question, no point scoring.

Some good points made on here about the squad gelling and integrating new players into the club, the style of play and of course a new country. There will be gnashing of teeth tomorrow when players x,y and z don't start but it's a massive ask to throw people straight into the deep end with very few training sessions under their belts. Patience is going to be required.

Edited by Gordon Bennett
  • Like 1

In all seriousness (and I don’t think we are anywhere near it and hopefully won’t get to it) does there come a point where if we can’t cut out the mistakes and sh*t defending and continue to lose then Farke’s position comes under pressure? It’s all well and good being good at getting out if the championship but for me he now has a decent squad at his disposal and we need to see quick signs of improved competitiveness and cutting out the same, repetitive errors. 

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

In all seriousness (and I don’t think we are anywhere near it and hopefully won’t get to it) does there come a point where if we can’t cut out the mistakes and sh*t defending and continue to lose then Farke’s position comes under pressure?

Yes of course, but we can't sit here today and pre-meditate his position being under pressure, as we have no idea how it unfolds and where the blame lays for those mistakes.  Although I'm pretty sure that it'll be clear how good these players are vs the last campaign where injuries and shortages made us look ragged.

As we like to pass it out from the back, if a player makes a mistake and the opposition scores in the final minutes to take a win - Where does the blame lay?  Because that will be the most prominent criticism raised, you'd imagine.

Is it a Farke thing? Is it a player thing? Or is it our coaching?

I'm hoping that players such as Kabak and Williams own sense will take precedence over the managers in those situations and they're not afraid to boot it clear.  Because, despite having a gameplan, the top players make the right decisions based on that given moment. If you have it out in the changing rooms after, so be it.

It's certainly better than everyone doing their job, but a mistake leaves you leaving empty handed.

Farke is the perfect manager for us. Dont forget how long we had looked for 'The Norwich Way' and the man to make the academy bear fruit. Firstly Neil Adams, former youth team manager, and then Alex Neil, a manager who'd had some success 'playing the kids'.

Neither really worked and so we turned to another man with his roots in youth football.

This time however, he genuinely blooded the youth, whilst also winning the Championship twice. He has also along with Webber finally installed a club ethos and a way of playing.

The very last thing this club needs is a change to this model. Id be more concerned about Webber ending his relationship with us of Farke moving on, than us deciding he needs the sack.

The only way I can see Farke going is if he leaves to go to a bigger club. He has proven he can instantly shake off relegation and get the team winning again. If we were to fail again, what more do you want?

This club is likely to always be up against it in the Premier League, we still spend peanuts compared to other clubs with wealthy owners.

The Liverpool fan is merely showing his complete lack of knowledge about our club

Edited by The Great Mass Debater
  • Like 1

On 09/09/2021 at 19:33, alex_ncfc said:

You weren't wrong, there was no way in hell Worthy was turning that ship around. He was here a year too long in the end.

But no I can't see Farke getting sacked whatever happens. Still be interesting to see if SW definitely is off at the end of the season.

Noone else really turned the ship either though did they?

My opinion is that the test for Farke and Webber is can they improve the NCFC squad each season. If they are doing that then even if we go down this year, they should stay. 

There is no doubt in my mind that we have improved the squad every year since they took charge.

Whatever happens this season, they should both stay. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Give me the list of Norwich managers who have done a better job than Farke has? Been more than a flash in the pan? Honest question - who has been better?

Mike walker 

No manager has built the kind of legacy that Farke (and to a huge degree Webber) are going to be responsible for. They have built this club back from the ground up. What we are doing in the academy now is outstanding and the production line of talent has safeguarded our future and allowed tremendous investment into the first team.

I remember last year saying on Twitter that Farke is the best manager we've ever had. 

I stand by that comment and then some. Is he perfect? No. Are there things I'd like to see us do better at first team level? Yes. I want to see us add real steel to the defensive side of our game. 

But there's no one I would rather have in charge of our club.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Beefy is a legend said:

No manager has built the kind of legacy that Farke (and to a huge degree Webber) are going to be responsible for. They have built this club back from the ground up. What we are doing in the academy now is outstanding and the production line of talent has safeguarded our future and allowed tremendous investment into the first team.

I remember last year saying on Twitter that Farke is the best manager we've ever had. 

I stand by that comment and then some. Is he perfect? No. Are there things I'd like to see us do better at first team level? Yes. I want to see us add real steel to the defensive side of our game. 

But there's no one I would rather have in charge of our club.

Smashed it clean out of the park there, fella. Back in the Walker days and not long after we had a reputation for bringing youngsters along. Eadie, O'Neill, Akinbiyi, Sutch, Bellamy etc. without even thinking. Could add a fair few goalies to that as well. Then we gradually went the way of experience and going the high-paying experienced route, and nearly lost the club twice.

Farke's given us our club back. We try to play good football on the deck, we try to be sustainable in everything we do, and we become a destination of choice for promising youngsters as they realise the gateway's well and truly open to them if they're willing to work hard and back their talent.

As I have said before, progress is not always linear. I hope to see signs of improvement in our play, but if we go down again, it's not the end of the world as I'm confident in Farke's ability to get us back up for yet another crack.

• Like 3

I expect he will come under pressure if results continue to be bad (there are already numpties on social media wanting him gone) but you have to ask yourself would it be to the clubs benefit to replace him? Who would come in and would they do a better job? And please nobody suggest Allardyce.

• Like 1

Its interesting to see the amount of people saying Farke now has a good squad at his disposal.

It makes me wonder how many have watched the likes of PLM, Rashica, Tzolis, Normann etc play over the past few years. Because judging Farke based on a preconception these players are good enough is weird.

Not that weird really. All football fans, for the most part, have always creamed themselves over new signings; and nowadays especially as they eagerly search for highlights on YouTube and exact the slightest positives from a Wiki search.

Look at our close neighbours, beside themselves with expectation. Already they have a squad which is, quote: "The best in the division (L.1) and destined for promotion," yet three or four of them have still to kick a ball in anger for their club. One is injured, one suspended and another is a 'keeper who replaces a newly signed player who too was supposed to be it, but has disappointed.

At least we know that those in charge at Carrow Road have built up a decent reputation for finding (young) talent, and that good research and planning are behind our signings. Credit where it is due, surely?

Sometimes I am tempted to post that it's only the Premier League, but I suppose that would be a daft thing to do.

I realise that our habitual experiences have shown survival to be a tough ask, but lesser outfits than us, as we are now constructed have managed it in recent seasons.

Edited by BroadstairsR

On 09/09/2021 at 21:57, 1902 said:

Nearly ever club had spent in excess of 20 million on their record transfer.  

It also tells you nothing at all given that Newcastle spent £40,000,000 on Joelinton.

Liverpool spent £35m on Andy Carroll too 🤣

Back in 1972 we achieved our first ever promotion to the top division. That first season we started brightly in the first few games and surprised a lot of commentators at how well we were doing.  

Then a football reporter from one of the red tops wrote a stinging article stating that the canaries would be plucked by Christmas. That report caused a massive stink among the Canary supporters and saw hundreds of angry letters being sent to bemused editors. Back in 1972, angry letters to the editor was about the only form of protest other than pitched battles in the streets. 

So here we are fifty years on, and still journalists at national media dismiss little old Norwich for exactly the same ill-researched reasons. Nothing changes on that score and I suspect in another fifty years from now it will be the same dismissive reaction from the usual pundits.  

You just have to ignore the noise. A Liverpool fan's perspective should mean nothing to us. We do things our way and we'll judge ourselves and not worry about the judgement of others. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Its interesting to see the amount of people saying Farke now has a good squad at his disposal.

It makes me wonder how many have watched the likes of PLM, Rashica, Tzolis, Normann etc play over the past few years. Because judging Farke based on a preconception these players are good enough is weird.

Does he have a good squad or not then? 

i would Say Lambert Was Better in his time here 

Not saying he rebuilt or was better for the club etc as Farke and Webber have done 

But Results in taking us up then keeping us here with limited Resources 

Farke and Webber have done wonders to the club But we do need someone who can keep us up 

Farke is Wonderful manager but there is a time where you have to say Best ever Championship manager can he do it in the PL ? otherwise we will go down then ( hopefully back up ) and be in the same position in 3 seasons time with a manager that can not keep us in the PL 

39 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Does he have a good squad or not then? 

In my opinion, I THINK so, but don't know so. I've only seen highlights of these players playing, its certainly way too soon to judge for sure either way.

It normally becomes pretty clear when a manager is weaker than his squad. I dont think that's ever been the case under Farke and would be hugely surprised if that were the case this season.

We certainly have a very balanced squad now. We can name two completely separate teams which could happily start. Im not sure we could do that last time.

We'll miss Buendia. I dont think we'll miss Jamal or Godfrey, I think their replacements are better than they were, albeit with perhaps less potential. 

Normann does look the business from his highights reel. I know that isnt representitive but he certainly seems to have an eye for a pass and gives us the type of player we have been sorely missing. Im really excited by him.

Kabak Im unsure about. Liverpool opted not to make his transfer permanent, but they clearly saw something in him for them in the first place. Might not have been good enough for Liverpool but doesnt mean he cant be great for us.

Hanley seems to have improved over the last few years. Many were writing him off ahead of the last Premier campaign. 

Gunn has more experience and provides us with better back-up/competition to Krul than before imo. 

Omobamidele is a great prospect and proven to be a first team option. Having a left footed and experienced CB in Gibson gives us balance and numbers. Aarons certainly wont have declined in ability. Gilmour will grow into his role. Im unsure about his physique at this age but his movement and passing may well offset that. Lees-Melou I think has been impressive at times, he will come good and adds physique and quality.

Todd again wont have declined, Rashica if he finds his feet could prove to be a great signing. Tzolis likewise.

I really like the look of this team and hopefully makes us less dependent on Emi. My concern is goalscoring however. If we get the Pukki from the first half of the season last time and he maintains this then I'll be less concerned. Idah I am concerned about, this really needs to be the season where he steps up from being all potential. Sargent is an unknown quantity for me but is surely an upgrade on Drmic and Hugill