Bethnal Yellow and Green

Interesting Telegraph Article

I feel a bit for Aarons, to be honest!

Whilst I'm sure he's glad to be back in the PL, he's seen Godfrey, Lewis and Buendia get their big money moves. He's had been linked to most of Europe and two of the biggest clubs make strangely feeble offers. 

Taking my NCFC tinted glasses off, I hope he proves that he's PL quality and gets a move to a Champions League club next summer.

19 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Ditto. Can anybody paste the text please?

@OTBC06with the telegraph if you do the cookie selection then refresh the page you can actually stop it once the article is loaded but before the paywall has. It can take a couple of tries but definitely works on Chrome on my phone ..

• Thanks 1

So In the last couple of years Dortmund, Roma, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Tottenham, Arsenal and Man Utd have been interested in Aaron’s yet he is still at Norwich. I just call bs on all of those links. The minute someone is really interested in a Norwich player the deal is done end of.

This is nothing against Aaron’s he is a great player.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

I’ve been a bit worried by his body language first few games to be honest. It may just be that he doesn’t like losing and I know he’s notorious for being grumpy but he looks a little bit p**sed off to me.

Jim, the winner of a Miss Smiley🥰 competition would looked p*ssed off to you...

3 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

image.png.6171e8855330f3f0b46c4f6830fe9b26.png

This is an interesting passage, I posted recently stating that - although the transfer business coming in more than justified the sale - I still felt the club were complicit with the sale of Buendia, and that perhaps a harder stance on the sale could've been taken without necessarily compromising the self-funding model / squad harmony or Buendia - as some on here immediately jumped to. Again I reiterate that the overriding feeling on the sale is good  due to the business coming in which has exceeded my expectations. But reading this it sounds more like things could've definitely turned sour if instead the sale was drawn out or not agreed with Villa, so more points to the club for doing it the way they did it. I take it back!   

From what I read we were confident that Villa wouldn't play silly ****s and would be easy to deal with, and give us a deal structured roughly the way we wanted. Ie, one with a fair bit of the fee coming to us straight away. In fact a Villa fan here said as much, and warned that Arsenal, for example, would mess around. And supposedly Arsenal did bid late on, and higher than Villa, but not structured to our liking.

53 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

From what I read we were confident that Villa wouldn't play silly ****s and would be easy to deal with, and give us a deal structured roughly the way we wanted. Ie, one with a fair bit of the fee coming to us straight away. In fact a Villa fan here said as much, and warned that Arsenal, for example, would mess around. And supposedly Arsenal did bid late on, and higher than Villa, but not structured to our liking.

Can't remember where I read it now (was a story about how amateurish their recruitment has been for a few seasons) but the story was Arsenal did bid but they didn't go higher. Said they called the club and wanted to offer X, we told them Villa had already bid more than that so it wouldn't even be considered. They then told us their recruitment analysts only thought he was worth what they were bidding and their offer still stands.

I wonder how long before Emi feels he is too big for Villa? Mixing with Argentina's top players would suggest it might not be too long.

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I’ve been a bit worried by his body language first few games to be honest. It may just be that he doesn’t like losing and I know he’s notorious for being grumpy but he looks a little bit p**sed off to me.

Winning might cheer him up - it certainly helps me!  If that doesn't work then we do have a problem.

29 minutes ago, duke63 said:

I wonder how long before Emi feels he is too big for Villa? Mixing with Argentina's top players would suggest it might not be too long.

He has to prove himself at Villa first, and he knows it. He was a fit at Norwich, but has not become that at Aston Villa it seems.

The mixed reactions from the Villains thus far suggest this will not be a formality. Last week's nonsense hasn't helped.

To be the star of the Championship and wrapped up in Farkism does not automatically make him a top six player. He's a bench filler for his country after all.

Good luck to him, he'll need it because he's not there yet, and he'll be 25 soon.

33 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Well, one of those players is his team-mate at Villa, and who's to say Villa can't push on higher? 

They don't have a self-sustainable ceiling like us, which is the biggest factor in how players easily out-grow our ambitions as we'll forever have that leash pulling us back to the garden.  

i.e. At this point would Arsenal be considered a step up, sideways or down?   Villa have already demonstrated the ability to beat them in the transfer window as a desirable move.

20 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

They don't have a self-sustainable ceiling like us

That ceiling is rising every season. 

Tortoise and the Hare Boto, Tortoise and the Hare.

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

He has to prove himself at Villa first, and he knows it. He was a fit at Norwich, but has not become that at Aston Villa it seems.

The mixed reactions from the Villains thus far suggest this will not be a formality. Last week's nonsense hasn't helped.

To be the star of the Championship and wrapped up in Farkism does not automatically make him a top six player. He's a bench filler for his country after all.

Good luck to him, he'll need it because he's not there yet, and he'll be 25 soon.

To be fair,I reckon 90% of professional footballers would be bench warmers with Argentina.

This from today's Guardian. I may have missed it but if true the 4m euro loan fee is new to me:

Norwich were the most active Premier League club with loan incomings during the recent window having signed four players in that manner, including a deal for Turkey defender Ozan Kabak that contained an obligation to buy him from Schalke next season for around €13m having paid a €4m fee up front..

11 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

This from today's Guardian. I may have missed it but if true the 4m euro loan fee is new to me:

Nope, It has been mentioned before, We paid around £3.5m for the Kabak loan deal, and just under £2m for Normann loan. I think it's not so uncommon nowadays, either.  Club are serious about both players, so they're not without risk which some people presume.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

That ceiling is rising every season. 

Tortoise and the Hare Boto, Tortoise and the Hare.

Ronaldo earning £500k per week is about to blow PL wages out of the water. I see Salah wants the same and so will many other top players. Where does that leave the likes of us?

1 minute ago, duke63 said:

Ronaldo earning £500k per week is about to blow PL wages out of the water. I see Salah wants the same and so will many other top players. Where does that leave the likes of us?

Solvent and free of prima donnas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, duke63 said:

Doing what we're doing , we can do no more with what we are building,  I don't see the problem.  We never were and never will be nan u or Liverpool...and for that ,i  for one am grateful. Liverpool and man u probably have room for one more  supporter though. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Doing what we're doing , we can do no more with what we are building,  I don't see the problem.  We never were and never will be nan u or Liverpool...and for that ,i  for one am grateful. Liverpool and man u probably have room for one more  supporter though. 

Is this a spin-off from the WSL? Women’s over 60 football?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

Is this a spin-off from the WSL? Women’s over 60 football?

😂😂😂😂 don't think I'll edit that.

• Haha 1

On 09/09/2021 at 09:11, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Nice article on Norwich's window in the Telegraph - written by John Percy who is very reliable.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/09/09/no-longer-going-war-without-gun-inside-story-norwichs-11-new/

Nuggets include Dortmund making a bid for Aarons the day before the window closed (loan with an option).

Lee Dunn has taken over as Head of Recruitment.

Tzolis had been tracked for years by the academy recruitment team, and Rashica had been watched since he was at Vitesse.

Well worth a read.

Really enjoy reading your posts on here and your tweets on twitter, always very informative, they should sign you up  on here for a regular column 😀

Edited by Diane
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, duke63 said:

It's the top clubs way of creating elite players that they can interchange, without having large transfer fees.  Because it benefits the player and club better running everything on a monthly like that. 

It also means they don't have to pay big transfer fees to clubs like us, Because I think you'll start to see more players on 2 year contracts based on Agents advice so that they're free to move every other season, And if they get to the top clubs most others are priced out due to the salary requirements.

The money has gone so wild now that players aren't really assets of a club anymore as their cumulative value are dwarfed by the pockets of the owners, they're effectively becoming a monthly service which is offset by revenue from success or shirts/merch/ad sales.

It's just the beginnings of the super league, really, and how they can hold/take players into the elite earning brackets.

No longer 'going to war without a gun': The inside story of Norwich's 11 new summer signings

After their relegation from the Premier League in 2020, Norwich have changed tack and signed 11 players for a total of £45 million

By John Percy 9 September 2021 • 8:00am

When Norwich City were last relegated from the Premier League, in July 2020, their season was described as “going to war without a gun” after a spend of just £1.2 million.

This time, however, there is little doubt that Daniel Farke has been supplied with ammunition and Norwich are fighting back to end their unwanted reputation as English football’s ‘yo-yo club’.

It may come as a surprise to some of their detractors, but Norwich were the most active Premier League club in the summer transfer window: a league-high 11 senior signings were recruited with over £45 million invested.

This weekend Norwich will face the biggest spenders, Arsenal, and despite three successive league defeats there remains confidence internally that Farke will never have a better chance of survival.

After such a drastic recruitment drive, Farke is expected to now compete with the likes of Brentford, Watford, Burnley, Newcastle and Southampton.

Norwich’s transfer business was planned meticulously, long before the Championship title was lifted, with sporting director Stuart Webber and Farke at the forefront.

Long-term targets previously unattainable came into reach due to the impact of Covid-19 on football’s finances. Norwich have acted swiftly and decisively to provide Farke with two players for every position.

Crucially, they also avoided major disruption to their squad with only one key player, Emiliano Buendia, sold this summer.

Borussia Dortmund made a late bid to sign right-back Max Aarons the day before the deadline but the proposal of a loan deal, with an option to buy, was instantly rejected.

While Aarons has remained at Carrow Road, the sale of Buendia to Aston Villa was pivotal to Norwich’s transfer strategy.

Villa paid an initial £33 million for the Argentina international, after whirlwind negotiations which started on 4 June and ended the following day.

Norwich were happy to let Buendia go for the right price as that is the club’s model. Villa’s conduct during talks was also far more respectful than the tortuous negotiations they endured last October with Everton’s director of football Marcel Brands over the sale of Ben Godfrey. Buendia also wanted to leave.

While there can be no revisionism over Buendia’s role in their recent history, for at least 12 months there was a regular flow of messages stating his desire to quit the club and, at times, it was difficult to manage.

Buendia’s sale enabled Norwich to quickly press ahead with their own spending plans.

Milot Rashica, the Kosovo international, was the record capture at £9.4 million from Werder Bremen, who were relegated from the Bundesliga for the first time in 41 years last season.

Rashica has been on Norwich’s radar since his time with Vitesse Arnhem, but any deal was out of bounds due to the price tag. Werder’s relegation finally made it possible for Norwich to move this summer.

They have high hopes for the 25 year-old, though also recognising there is some risk attached: Rashica performed poorly last season, with only three goals and one assist, and is being given a platform to jump-start his career back into life.

Another major signing was Christos Tzolis for £9 million from Greek club PAOK. Norwich’s academy scouts have been aware of Tzolis for some time, regularly watching him in under-17 matches, so when he broke into the first-team the groundwork had already been done.

Last season, the winger was the second highest under-20s scorer in Europe, behind only Dortmund’s Erling Haaland.

On 09/09/2021 at 12:02, cornish sam said:

@OTBC06with the telegraph if you do the cookie selection then refresh the page you can actually stop it once the article is loaded but before the paywall has. It can take a couple of tries but definitely works on Chrome on my phone ..

This is a really useful tip! I never new this and, without this prompt, wouldn't have even entertained the idea it might work.

Thank you.