Bethnal Yellow and Green

Interesting Telegraph Article

Nice article on Norwich's window in the Telegraph - written by John Percy who is very reliable.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/09/09/no-longer-going-war-without-gun-inside-story-norwichs-11-new/

Nuggets include Dortmund making a bid for Aarons the day before the window closed (loan with an option).

Lee Dunn has taken over as Head of Recruitment.

Tzolis had been tracked for years by the academy recruitment team, and Rashica had been watched since he was at Vitesse.

Well worth a read.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 8

Yes, somebody with know how, rather than preconceptions.

No bias, either way.

I will re-visit as a reading of the comments below the piece (none atm) from neutrals will be interesting. They are usually positive towards the club in these articles, with some disparagement from closet binners, balanced from a degree of gushing from a few City fans.

Thanks BYG, some real nuggets in there. Shows our recruitment is maticulously professional and has a long term outlook. 

The comment about Emi constantly pushing for a move to the point that it was difficult to manage was interesting and puts to bed the idea that we simply could have told him he was staying. Aslo explains why Villa got their man with their neggotiating stance which allowed us to grasp the nettle and use his funds to upgrade the squad to have two players fighting for every position.   

• Like 1

image.png.6171e8855330f3f0b46c4f6830fe9b26.png

This is an interesting passage, I posted recently stating that - although the transfer business coming in more than justified the sale - I still felt the club were complicit with the sale of Buendia, and that perhaps a harder stance on the sale could've been taken without necessarily compromising the self-funding model / squad harmony or Buendia - as some on here immediately jumped to. Again I reiterate that the overriding feeling on the sale is good  due to the business coming in which has exceeded my expectations. But reading this it sounds more like things could've definitely turned sour if instead the sale was drawn out or not agreed with Villa, so more points to the club for doing it the way they did it. I take it back!   

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hairy Canary said:

Thanks BYG, some real nuggets in there. Shows our recruitment is maticulously professional and has a long term outlook. 

The comment about Emi constantly pushing for a move to the point that it was difficult to manage was interesting and puts to bed the idea that we simply could have told him he was staying. Aslo explains why Villa got their man with their neggotiating stance which allowed us to grasp the nettle and use his funds to upgrade the squad to have two players fighting for every position.   

beat me to it! 

• Haha 1

Thanks BYAG.

I liked this bit,

Norwich also moved to trim Farke’s squad by offloading players who the club has ‘outgrown’, such as Marco Stiepermann, Timm Klose, Tom Trybull, Onel Hernández and Jordan Hugill.

In the same way that some players outgrow the club (like Buendia) the club also outgrows the some players, all part of footballs rich tapestry.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hairy Canary said:

Yes confirms my thoughts that the future is secure.

If Webber were to leave tomorrow, then he will leave a club well set.

Cynics might say that our yo-yo status is confirmed, so it's now up to Farke and the players to contradict this view.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Why do teams insist on trying to loan our best young players?! 

You mean like we do with Kabak and Normann? 🙂

I guess it's a sign of nervousness, and reducing risks.  But there's still a fee involved - i think we paid 3.5m to loan Kabak for the season? And about 2m for Normann?

21 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Interesting our head of recruitment is now an analyst by trade. 

Yes - wonder if data will become even more important in recruitment now.

While Scott was happy to use it, Norwich certainly weren't like Brighton or Brentford who use it as their primary recruitment tool. Scott said he wouldn't sign a player that he hadn't physically gone and watched, other more data lead clubs, will take that risk if the outlay is relatively small.

Brighton signed Mitoma from Japan without being able to go and watch him play for over a year for example.

23 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I guess it's a sign of nervousness, and reducing risks.  But there's still a fee involved - i think we paid 3.5m to loan Kabak for the season? And about 2m for Normann?

I can sort of see that but are Dortmund that bleak financially they couldn't just pay up if they had enough faith in Maxs ability? They just got nearly £80m for Sancho and have assets like Haaland on the books if things go south. Not like they're in danger of relegation like us is it? Our TV money next year is either over £100m or a few pence (and parachute payments) hence our need to do loan with view to buy

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

I think Farke deserves credit as well for still getting so much out of Emi and seemingly keeping the camp happy despite our most integral player spending a year consistently making noise about wanting to leave.

I think it shows that football is far more complex than @Jim Smith's (and others) concept of "Just keep emi, not doing so shows no ambition" etc etc. There's so much info we don't have access to.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Yes - wonder if data will become even more important in recruitment now.

While Scott was happy to use it, Norwich certainly weren't like Brighton or Brentford who use it as their primary recruitment tool. Scott said he wouldn't sign a player that he hadn't physically gone and watched, other more data lead clubs, will take that risk if the outlay is relatively small.

Brighton signed Mitoma from Japan without being able to go and watch him play for over a year for example.

It surely needs to be a combination of the two? I would also be nervous about us signing players we’ve not watched. 

27 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I think those are different cases- Kabak certainly Schalke have been desperate to cut wages following relegation so a loan helps in that respect. Normann I was surprised that Rostov agreed to be fair.

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

It surely needs to be a combination of the two? I would also be nervous about us signing players we’ve not watched. 

Will always be a combination, but some teams are more prepared to use video scouting and data as their primary sources of information - especially due to the pandemic and inability to travel.

As I said though, would only really be done where the player cost is low, clubs wouldn't buy a crucial player without having watched them first.

17 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think those are different cases- Kabak certainly Schalke have been desperate to cut wages following relegation so a loan helps in that respect. Normann I was surprised that Rostov agreed to be fair.

Only different cases in why the deals were accepted, The point still remains 'why' a buying club would only commit to loaning young prospects in than investing larger sums of money for them. Shows they're very much interested and keen, but not enough to take the full financial risk.

If you were asking why we accepted then I get your point, but we never did.

In regards to us initially loaning Kabak/Normann then it's the same risk protection strategy.  Dortmund appear to be holding on to their pennies so far this season following the sale of Sancho - maybe the fee for a loan was something they felt would appeal to us once we had Williams in?  i.e. trying their luck.

Edited by Google Bot

6 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Only different cases in why the deals were accepted, The point still remains 'why' a buying club would only commit to loaning young prospects in than investing larger sums of money for them. Shows they're very much interested and keen, but not enough to take the full financial risk.

If you were asking why we accepted then I get your point, but we never did.

In regards to us initially loaning Kabak/Normann then it's the same risk protection strategy.  Dortmund appear to be holding on to their pennies so far this season following the sale of Sancho - maybe the fee for a loan was something they felt would appeal to us once we had Williams in?  i.e. trying their luck.

Yeah it wasn't a hugely serious comment- clearly Dortmund just tried their luck. I'm just a bit baffled why they thought we'd entertain it but I suppose, don't ask you don't get.

The constant Max Aaron’s rumours are getting embarrassing to be honest. It’s clear for whatever reason there isn’t a big club interested in him.

My only evidence is that we are a selling club the minute someone is really interested a deal is done. Tottenham have signed 3 RBS in Aurier, Doherty and Emerson over Aaron’s.

1 hour ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Also can someone please link this article through to Alex Crook?

Can he read?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ulfotto said:

The constant Max Aaron’s rumours are getting embarrassing to be honest. It’s clear for whatever reason there isn’t a big club interested in him.

My only evidence is that we are a selling club the minute someone is really interested a deal is done. Tottenham have signed 3 RBS in Aurier, Doherty and Emerson over Aaron’s.

Well, there have been big clubs interested in him. That's literally what the article says.

10 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Well, there have been big clubs interested in him. That's literally what the article says.

I’ve been a bit worried by his body language first few games to be honest. It may just be that he doesn’t like losing and I know he’s notorious for being grumpy but he looks a little bit p**sed off to me.

16 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

I think the problem with Max is that he's a great player, but if you compare him to someone like Tierney (Who has had similar start of season to us) Tierny is still hitting attacking areas in the stats/heatmap despite being in a losing team.

Whereas Max has been nowhere near effective in reaching higher areas of the pitch.  Much of that is to do with the team than himself though, but still, articles like this I can understand the comparison from an external view:-

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/transfer-news/max-aarons-trend-proves-arsenal-21492719

For the top teams they're wanting a player in that position to be pushing into the final third at the highest level.  And I think that's the hesitancy being displayed.  Once we get into our stride and if he can maintain that same level of attacking play shown in the championship the big money, big clubs will come circling.

Edited by Google Bot

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Why do teams insist on trying to loan our best young players?! 

No club outside the Premiership have any money now. Barcelona, Madrid, Milan etc are heavily in debt. The only exception is PSG it seems. Dortmund is odd though, but only because they just sold Sancho for 75m. Hmmm

14 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I’ve been a bit worried by his body language first few games to be honest. It may just be that he doesn’t like losing and I know he’s notorious for being grumpy but he looks a little bit p**sed off to me.

Well if his form drops he’ll never get the move he wants - will just be seen as ‘one of those’.  Best thing he can do is keep playing as well as he can.

Edited by Branston Pickle

24 minutes ago, OTBC06 said:

Cant read it, don't want to subscribe and don't want a free trial. 😞

Ditto. Can anybody paste the text please?