Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

For the Numpties who Criticise Cantwell's Work Rate

Who knew the standard of tackling in the Premier League was so bad. 😉

He has to make that many as his second touch is a tackle. 😉

If Max made more tackles then there would be less crosses into the box and we'd concede less. 😉

This is only tackles won, how many did they lose? 😉

Todd has to make lots of tackles as he can dwell on the ball. 😉

Looks like these stats will always be pumped up if the player is on a team without the ball, on the back foot. Good on Todd but I’d rather we hold onto the ball and not need to chase shadows!

15 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Looks like these stats will always be pumped up if the player is on a team without the ball, on the back foot. Good on Todd but I’d rather we hold onto the ball and not need to chase shadows!

Congratulations on putting a negative spin on it - I knew it wouldn't take long. 

• Haha 1

Be careful! Stats are interesting to have , but at the end of the day , they're just stats. Don't care for the title of this post though , "numpties" , nah not the way to address people...not my style...

I didn't think it was fair either to single Cantwell out in hindsight! That's for sure...

The only stat that really counts is the amount of points we assemble during the season...isn't it?

Let's hope we don't have to undergo another season of "carnage" like the last time round.

Cantwell will be an important part in avoiding that happening again!

• Like 1

Somewhere out there, Paolo Maldini is crying (and not just because Todd nicked his hairdresser)

I don’t think you can criticise his Running about like a head less chicken, it’s more his effectiveness that is the issue 

34 minutes ago, kirku said:

Somewhere out there, Paolo Maldini is crying (and not just because Todd nicked his hairdresser)

Great comment. Arguably the best defender in the world, and in his peak years I belive he was averaging less than two tackles per game.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pugin said:

Great comment. Arguably the best defender in the world, and in his peak years I belive he was averaging less than two tackles per game.

Confucious say that if a defender has to make a tackle, he has already been caught out.  In other words, the best defenders don't have to make so many tackles because they have greater awareness, anticipation and positioning to snuff out trouble before it gets to making a tackle.

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Congratulations on putting a negative spin on it - I knew it wouldn't take long. 

I’m sorry your feelings are hurt I didn’t like the post 😢

18 minutes ago, WD40 said:

I’m sorry your feelings are hurt I didn’t like the post 😢

I'll let you into a secret - it takes far more than you making a negative comment to hurt my feelings. (So don't beat yourself up about it). 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Just goes to show how much our defeders need to step up if Cantwell is doing a better job than them at the tackleing side of things

Not really - the higher up the pitch we are tackling the better IMO. A defender making a tackle might sound good on paper but it could just as well be a reaction to a poor bit of positioning or anticipation which has led to the need to tackle. It also goes without saying that the more you are tackling, the more you are risking a foul, and I'd much rather it were Cantwell et al giving away fouls in the opposition half than Hanley or Gibson just outside our own area. 

So there is nothing concerning in having attacking players higher on the tackling side IMO. And just looking at that top 5 list, there are only two defenders and three midfielders (including McNeil who will play a similar position to Cantwell). I'm not sure what say the top 50 would look like but I'd wager a pretty even mix of midfielders and defenders. 

However, the above does show how under the cosh we've been in our first games with two of our players making that top 5 list, I would hope that changes with a more pleasant set of fixtures coming up next!

Top player, Always passionate and hungry on the field.  People who slate him do so cause he's willing to poke his head above the parapet and be counted - Those who are willing to do that are always a target.  Wes was the same.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

I don’t think you can criticise my waddling about like a head less broiler chicken, it’s more my  knowledge of footy that is the issue .

👍😉😇 sorted again!! .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, WD40 said:

Sherlock called and asked that you kindly returned his sh!t... 

• Haha 1

On 08/09/2021 at 15:04, lake district canary said:

Confucious say that if a defender has to make a tackle, he has already been caught out.  In other words, the best defenders don't have to make so many tackles because they have greater awareness, anticipation and positioning to snuff out trouble before it gets to making a tackle.

I think it was actually maldini who said that, tho it's easy to confucius the two....

I had that coat a moment ago...

Norwich players making loads of tackles from three matches chasing the ball against quality opposition?

I love Todd (and Max) but this isn't a stat that tells us anything except that we have been right up against it so far. 

As far as the point of the thread goes, I agree. However downhearted anyone might be about the results it is wrong to question anyone's effort.

• Like 1