Sign in to follow this  
Hank shoots Skyler

Thoughts on transfers and a pledge for the coming weeks

After what felt like a deflating performance versus a depleted Leicester, the signings of Normann and Kabak have provided serious optimism. Kabak in particular appears to be a marked improvement on our current options, and the signing gets bonus points as I had fully consigned myself to 'going with what we've got' at centre back. Indeed I think the majority on here were in the same boat. 

IMO the signing of Kabak represents that Klose or Ashton type transfer we have seen in recent January windows, only we've made it 5 months earlier, a huge difference. With that move we have gone above and beyond most fans' expectations and taken an important extra step - before it perhaps became obvious we were understrength too late in the season, as we have previously seen. It may just be enough to keep us in this blasted league this time! 

When you look at the squad now on paper, the Buendia sale has been totally vindicated IMO, we look like we've significantly strengthened in all areas on the pitch. A successful campaign this season could mean that the next 'Buendia' signing (he might already be here) doesn't need to be auctioned off to fund our competitiveness, indeed it may also mean that the next 'Buendia' doesn't even want to move on for better things. Well, we can hope! 

Either way, if we fall short at the end of the season I certainly will not be pointing at the Buendia sale as a defining moment, though I will maintain my thoughts in the summer that the club could've taken a harder stance without necessarily impeding Buendia or the self-funding model. But, with very good transfer business coming in (on paper), the complicity of the club with the transfer has been fully justified, and more. 

The sale of Buendia has brought about unprecedented levels of transfer movement for a newly promoted club (probably), with 9 new senior players coming in, against the loss of our two best players from last year (including Skipp). That is unquestionably a bizarre position to be in. 

Because of this, my main concern is over how quickly Farke can find that winning combination, particularly as he has historically not been one to rotate players so much. The central midfield area in particular looks a real minefield now, and I can see many variations being tried and tested before we find the right balance. 

So this for me is going to be where our season is make or break. If we get things clicking soon (i.e. in the next 5 or 6 games), then I think we will end up quite comfortably safe, but if we don't we could end up with too much to do too late in the season.

Because of the unique level of transfer movement, and with potentially our 2 most important signings not even properly through the door yet due to the international break, the generally accepted 'Ricardo 10-game standard' for predicting where we will likely finish at the end of the season must surely be put to one side - and with it can be any of the harsher judgements which might be issued around the same time. 

I think we need to be looking at 15/16 games into the season before we start to see and judge - with accuracy - where we might finish. 

If we get to that point, have been steadily improving, and are within touching distance of 17th (i.e. 3-4 points), then I will feel pretty confident that we can bridge that gap in the remaining games. 

Though I am not one to hold back if I think we have played ****, and I maintain the right to swear when we do play unacceptably below par (i.e. the performance against Man City was 10x worse than Liverpool - that isn't excusable), I would hope the general gist on here is one of patience and that Farke and the new signings are given that extra bit of leeway they might need after what has been a very climactic transfer window. 

Overall what looks like a fantastic transfer window and the best one on paper in my lifetime, perhaps only comparable to Hughton's second season but yes let's not do that...

Seriously though, looking forward to see where this new group of players takes us!

• Like 5

It's easy to get ahead of ourselves in these things , as none of the signings have played for us yet . But I think the Kabak signing is a crucial one . This team needed help at central defence and he is a good signing for that.

Young lads like him and Tzolis should prosper under Farke's management , so I think we will benefit ... Normann is a kind of player we needed too , it's too early to judge his value to the team.

I am not pointing at the loss of Buendia as the defining moment , should we get relegated. A self funding club hasn't got much of a chance in the inflated PL anyway, so staying up would be an enormous achievement imo.

Yet the start hasn't been good and we will have to gel asap to get our act together imo.

It's the hope that kills you......

In all seriousness, from a 'decent enough' to a 'great' window. I'm quietly confident that 17th (or dare I say higher) is achievable. If the disappointment does set in and we do go down, or just play poorly......how much blame lies on Mr farke shoulders? I don't expect Messer's tzolis, normann, kabak to be messiah's for us, but, the squad is there. Maybe a few new people need to be given thier heads. Points are needed. 

Fingers crossed for the optimism ahead

2 hours ago, ROBFLECK said:

It's easy to get ahead of ourselves in these things , as none of the signings have played for us yet . 

Yep agreed, and we'll have a much better idea towards the end of the season. I just wanted to comment before, as I don't think it would be fair to criticise Webber for recruitment if any of the signings don't come off in hindsight; on paper now we are in as strong a position as we can be.

Lots of quality additions, but there are a whole host of reasons for why a transfer might not work which Webber / Farke aren't necessarily privy to until after the fact, not least when it is effectively a whole new team being integrated together! 

Of course this will shift the spotlight now to Farke now, and I suspect if we do similarly poorly this season to two years ago, the finger pointing on here will be almost entirely at Farke's door; rather than a pretty even mix of COVID, injuries, Webber, Farke and the board which we saw in 19/20! 

On 07/09/2021 at 23:32, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Because of the unique level of transfer movement, and with potentially our 2 most important signings not even properly through the door yet due to the international break, the generally accepted 'Ricardo 10-game standard' for predicting where we will likely finish at the end of the season must surely be put to one side - and with it can be any of the harsher judgements which might be issued around the same time. 

I think we need to be looking at 15/16 games into the season before we start to see and judge - with accuracy - where we might finish. 

If we get to that point, have been steadily improving, and are within touching distance of 17th (i.e. 3-4 points), then I will feel pretty confident that we can bridge that gap in the remaining games. 

Though I am not one to hold back if I think we have played ****, and I maintain the right to swear when we do play unacceptably below par (i.e. the performance against Man City was 10x worse than Liverpool - that isn't excusable), I would hope the general gist on here is one of patience and that Farke and the new signings are given that extra bit of leeway they might need after what has been a very climactic transfer window. 

Overall what looks like a fantastic transfer window and the best one on paper in my lifetime, perhaps only comparable to Hughton's second season but yes let's not do that...

Seriously though, looking forward to see where this new group of players takes us!

Just bumping to say **** what I said I was wrong. You can’t excuse that performance yesterday. Farke doesn’t deserve 5/6 more games to try to steady the ship. We’re simply not even close to getting the basics right, and no amount of transfer movement, late signings, tough opening fixtures, COVID interruptions or any other **** excuse can legislate for that.

A good performance against Leeds or sack him please. It’s that simple now.