Sign in to follow this  
The Real Buh

Referees Confirmed For Arsenal. Get ready…

Michael Oliver will take charge of the game as the referee, assisted by Stuart Burt and Simon Bennett.

Gavin Ward will be the fourth official, and Mike Dean will be the video assistant referee.

“Pretty boy” Oliver as ref and Mike “should have been sectioned years ago” Dean as VAR ref?

It was fun while it lasted…

Edited by The Real Buh

Here’s the thing. How much do the Arsenal players support Arteta? If they don’t, they may deliberately underperform in order to lose and get rid of him. That’s a positive ‘along come Norwich’ scenario!

36 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

Here’s the thing. How much do the Arsenal players support Arteta? If they don’t, they may deliberately underperform in order to lose and get rid of him. That’s a positive ‘along come Norwich’ scenario!

Quite. It could easily go either way.  It's obvious if they down tools, we win, he is finished there. However, they may just look at us feel they need a performance, change a few 'first choice' players to fringe ones and annihilate us as a result.

Alternatively, the scenario might be that they put one past us then just sit in and deliver a poor 1-0 win, which again may be enough (against a team they see as relegation fodder) to shift him anyway.

My prediction? We will win. We played well against Leicester and Liverpool in parts, so bring it on

• Thanks 1

Just hoping for an early goal which turns the crowd, because they're going to be up for this - I don't buy that players want the manager out as there's a lot of young players that he's building with. 

IMO, We can't start slow in this match, if we play cautious it's their game as they will grow into it better than us - we have to go at them and nick the early goal.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

First goal is going to be huge given that both sides are bereft of confidence. I wish I felt more optimistic but this has ACN written all over it…

First goal is going to be huge given that both sides are bereft of confidence. I wish I felt more optimistic but this has ACA written all over it…

I don't know about Arsenal but I was at the Leicester game and we certainly didn't look or play like a side bereft of confidence.

Where did that come from Bootsie?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, East Rider said:

Quite. It could easily go either way.  It's obvious if they down tools, we win, he is finished there. However, they may just look at us feel they need a performance, change a few 'first choice' players to fringe ones and annihilate us as a result.

Alternatively, the scenario might be that they put one past us then just sit in and deliver a poor 1-0 win, which again may be enough (against a team they see as relegation fodder) to shift him anyway.

My prediction? We will win. We played well against Leicester and Liverpool in parts, so bring it on

I do sometimes wonder if some of the comments on here are really from Norwich City fans. This is a 100% nailed on home win. Norwich City have seldom performed in these sort of games. Ryan Giggs first home game? ACN 4-0. Every team on a losing run? ACN. Watford, no points, at home 2019? 0-2. 

Put your house on a 3-0 defeat.

Console yourself with the knowledge that whatever team Arsenal put out, at least 8 of them would walk into our team.

Back to reality, so we can win the next game; Watford at home......oh.

Nailed on home wins are like Man Utd v Newcastle 1/6 or even Chelsea v Villa 1/4. I wouldn't advise putting your house on them btw.

But if you are convinced Arsenal are nailed on they're 1/2. You could clean up..

We get the first goal

10 minute delay for VAR check

Mike Dean calls the premier league “is there any rule you can see so I can disallow it? Maybe just make one up just for this game?”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Arsenal fans are really upset by the Oliver/Dean combo. They are convinced these two are out to get them. There was even a petition set up by Arsenal fans so Mike Dean would never referee them again, it got over 50,000 signatures. 

image.png.2aac28e65f356e88ad8e86af74717ad0.png

Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Arsenal fans are really upset by the Oliver/Dean combo. They are convinced these two are out to get them. There was even a petition set up by Arsenal fans so Mike Dean would never referee them again, it got over 50,000 signatures. 

image.png.2aac28e65f356e88ad8e86af74717ad0.png

Tbf I agree with the sentiment.

Mike Dean should be put in a home before he hurts someone

• Haha 1

Not a fan of Oliver but there are worse we could have gotten but I remember the excellent way Mike Dean refereed our play off final against Middlesbrough. I know that was a few years ago but you never know, we might just get the rub if the green with VAR (for once 😉).

I don't think it's a case of ref's having it out for us or that they're useless. It's simply for decisions they're not 100% sure about it is better to get on our bad side than a bigger or more established club or manager as it means a lot less grief for them to deal with, you also won't see us much debate in the media when it's a decision going against us. Pukki's goal v Spurs was absolutely scandalous, but all it got was a brief mention on the BBC and MOTD. if that happened to Man Utd or Chelsea you would have been hearing about it for weeks and the officials involved would be really under fire and scrutinized. 

Plus I get the sense they would rather have us out of the PL so they don't have to make the long, time consuming journey to Norwich (part of why I think we have it easy with Championship ref's when we're looking likely to get promoted), I often see Newcastle and Swansea when they were in the PL quite hard done by at times as well, never clubs like Watford or Palace though

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

So now we've spent a decent amount of money, far more than some clubs in the EPL, we're starting to run out of excuses are we?

So if I'm understanding this correctly, we won't get fair treatment from refs because they have to travel all the way to Norfolk? Yet we've signed players from across the world who additionally have to do the same travelling as refs do? Don't think Norwich is that bad.

I would have thought most refs and officials love a weekend in Norfolk, and claim spectacularly well on their expenses!

21 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

So now we've spent a decent amount of money, far more than some clubs in the EPL, we're starting to run out of excuses are we?

So if I'm understanding this correctly, we won't get fair treatment from refs because they have to travel all the way to Norfolk? Yet we've signed players from across the world who additionally have to do the same travelling as refs do? Don't think Norwich is that bad.

I would have thought most refs and officials love a weekend in Norfolk, and claim spectacularly well on their expenses!

The referees performances speak for themselves. The gulf in class between the domestic refs and those refereeing internationally is an embarrassment showcased at every international tournament.

Just to be clear - my comments about the about the appointment of Oliver is in keeping with the OP.

POGMOL appointments are  based on reasons that make little sense to ordinary football fans , but are part of the problem . 

As I said at the time the ref for the Leicester game (who was predictable in his reluctance to give “big” decisions ) was a classic POGMOL appointment . Jones had done around 8 prem games (his first year ) in 2020 none of which involved any of the big clubs. So they give him Norwich Leicester . 

Fast forward to a game where all media eyes will be watching - Arsenal bottom of the league (repeat ARSENAL) , possible Arteta’s last and , hey presto , up pops Oliver . 

Why ? Are the laws different ? Is it a cup final? No , it’s because the English Referee establishment make these decisions around spotlights. 

And watch out for the “get up” gesture that all refs have been briefed on this year following generally excellent refereeing performances in the Euros. Why didn’t POGMOL admit that they give unnecessary “contact” free kicks that top European refs stopped giving years ago? 

Premier league football advances have left the English referees behind . 

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I don't know about Arsenal but I was at the Leicester game and we certainly didn't look or play like a side bereft of confidence.

Where did that come from Bootsie?

I am thinking it a reasonable supposition that two sides yet to register a single point and rooted to the foot of the table  are not exactly flowing with optimism and must have a few doubts nagging at them. 

2 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

We get the first goal

10 minute delay for VAR check

Mike Dean calls the premier league “is there any rule you can see so I can disallow it? Maybe just make one up just for this game?”

Mike Dean is a good ref. Not afraid to give what he sees . The big clubs don’t like him as a result . 
Dean's performance in the playoff final was exemplary. 
Best ref in England by miles . 

25 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I am thinking it a reasonable supposition that two sides yet to register a single point and rooted to the foot of the table  are not exactly flowing with optimism and must have a few doubts nagging at them. 

I think you made it up. And already you're reinventing your fairytale.

"Bereft of confidence"

Thou shalt not tell porkies...

I know its super early on but I cant remember the last time we won a basement battle or 6 pointer in the prem, and that also applies to Watford next week... regardless of who the ref is. We've got a horrendous record. #notconfident 

Edited by crab man

5 hours ago, sgncfc said:

I do sometimes wonder if some of the comments on here are really from Norwich City fans. This is a 100% nailed on home win. Norwich City have seldom performed in these sort of games. Ryan Giggs first home game? ACN 4-0. Every team on a losing run? ACN. Watford, no points, at home 2019? 0-2. 

Put your house on a 3-0 defeat.

Console yourself with the knowledge that whatever team Arsenal put out, at least 8 of them would walk into our team.

Back to reality, so we can win the next game; Watford at home......oh.

I can assure as a season ticket holder and supporter since the mid 70s I am a genuine, bona fide, 100%, you can't bend it Norwich city fan!

The only reality is that we play a cr4p arsenal on Saturday who appear to be trying to prove a point and we just as likely to gain a point or three here as anywhere. 

You put your house on a 3-0 defeat and show us the conviction in your prediction. As I said it, could be worse that that. Especially if at least 8 of their team 'shows up'

1 hour ago, East Rider said:

I can assure as a season ticket holder and supporter since the mid 70s I am a genuine, bona fide, 100%, you can't bend it Norwich city fan!

The only reality is that we play a cr4p arsenal on Saturday who appear to be trying to prove a point and we just as likely to gain a point or three here as anywhere. 

You put your house on a 3-0 defeat and show us the conviction in your prediction. As I said it, could be worse that that. Especially if at least 8 of their team 'shows up'

Ha ha! 😊My tongue was firmly in my cheek, but I just know this is all going to go t!t5 up. I so hope I'm wrong and you're right.

24 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Ha ha! 😊My tongue was firmly in my cheek, but I just know this is all going to go t!t5 up. I so hope I'm wrong and you're right.

You need to factor in Farke's record after international breaks including 2019/20 when we beat Man C, Everton and drew at Bournemouth.

Oliver is a good ref these days.

as for the game I think they will be well up for it and I can’t see us getting anything. I think we are just the type of “soft” team Arsenal need to face right now as we won’t rough them up. Get the first goal though and you never know. They will get very nervy and the crowd also. 

7 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

You need to factor in Farke's record after international breaks including 2019/20 when we beat Man C, Everton and drew at Bournemouth.

Yes although in the past our advantage at international breaks was having a decent chunk of the squad for him to work with. Now we are one of the worst effected sides due to how many internationals we have, especially from the smaller nations who play nearly every international game. 

9 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Unfortunately you're probably going to be right.

However factoring in how well our Scottish two have just played and the point Krull will want to make, we could be in for a very interesting game.

This will be the best chance we have, of getting something there, in a loooooooooooooong while