Sideshow Tim

Fever pitch - The Premier League years

Just watched the first episode on BBC2. I recorded it in anticipation of getting lots of coverage of the inaugural 1992/93 season when we were top of the league for 75% of the time. 

Not even a mention, the only footage was Shearer scoring against us. It was all United, Cantona, Blackburn and Shearer. Even John Walk had more coverage than us! 

To make matters worse they claim that with 6 games left it was a straight showdown between United and Villa. Wtf?? 

Won't be bothering with that again! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sideshow Tim said:

Just watched the first episode on BBC2. I recorded it in anticipation of getting lots of coverage of the inaugural 1992/93 season when we were top of the league for 75% of the time. 

Not even a mention, the only footage was Shearer scoring against us. It was all United, Cantona, Blackburn and Shearer. Even John Walk had more coverage than us! 

To make matters worse they claim that with 6 games left it was a straight showdown between United and Villa. Wtf?? 

Won't be bothering with that again! 

Total ****... Beckham made utter crap! Airbrushed out of it all..  no doubt that idiot Shearer had a say...

I agree.  Instead of a sort of review about the inaugural Premier League season it developed into a love in for Man Utd and Ferguson as if they had a right to win the League. Other than showing League table with us top, we didn’t get a mention.  Typical!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Myra Hawtree said:

Instead of a sort of review about the inaugural Premier League season it developed into a love in for Man Utd and Ferguson as if they had a right to win the League.

Which is exactly why I didn't bother to watch it 👍

As soon as I read it was produced by a company that Beckham was involved with I knew it was going to be as bad as the other things he's been involved with. His kids, his 'whisky', his aftershave, his football franchise......

All sh!t.

It was 'flippin terrible.

Sweeping, and false assumptions about the state of football by '92 and the way it was saved by Murdoch. That was indeed a bit far-fetched, and I am one of the few, it seems, in favour of Sky, the Premier League and football in general today.

There were some good points, especially the Monday night thing broadening the appeal of the game, especially among women, and more televised live football was long overdue. 

That it evolved into a documentary about Man. U., and Ferguson over-cooked the fact that they were the inaugural winners and dominated the competition in its infant years. 

Some attention to the romance of team Walker's efforts throughout that season would have made for a more interesting, and less hackneyed, programme. Villa fans need be equally grieved.

I'll watch episode. 2, but  switch off if it carries on in the same vein.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

As soon as I read it was produced by a company that Beckham was involved with I knew it was going to be as bad as the other things he's been involved with. His kids, his 'whisky', his aftershave, his football franchise......

All sh!t.

I loved Beckham as a player (chiefly due to witnessing his efforts against Greece at Old Trafford) but i do find myself increasingly resentful at the kind of wealth and influence people like him are now able to enjoy simply due to being able to kick a ball around well. Its ludicrous. 

5 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

All sh!t.

I did buy a couple of pairs of his range in mens underwear-very nice 💦🍆

Yep, I came on here to comment on that. Incandescent with rage I was. Founding member. Top for most of the season. The most successful season in our history.

Im sorry, but without my yellow and green spectacles on, our achievements that season was one of the main stories. The only time they showed us at all was one of Blackburn's goals against us in what I assume was the 7-0.

It was certainly a bigger story than Blackburn finishing 4th. Ok so that leads into the subsequent episode but FFS

Just watched it also.

We were literally top most of the season and failed to get a mention - boils my p!ss. Especially the line when the narrator said something about "Man Utd were in a title battle with Aston Villa" - Villa fans themselves can feel aggrieved as I think that was their only mention!

It was literally a Man Utd/Cantona/Shearer w*nkfest. I have no doubt that future episodes will be the same.

8 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

All sh!t.

A touch harsh? 😀 Agree with the last three though!

• Haha 1

Just catching up now. Shockingly no mention of how Alan Sugar (the crook) owned Amstrad and had shares in Spurs thus enabling Sky to win the rights over ITV. 

Yep, all Shearer and Cantona, just like episode 1. 

It's not even the lack of Norwich mentions that annoys me (lets face it, we could really have only been involved in the first episode as we've done nothing in the Prem since) but there were so many other stories in those seasons that don't get a mention. 

Might as well have called it a history of Man Utd in the Premier League 🙄

A good reminder though to the many Happy Clappers on here who are happy just being a Yo-Yo club. Norwich really were a very decent side back in the late 80s and early 90s. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

A good reminder though to the many Happy Clappers on here who are happy just being a Yo-Yo club. Norwich really were a very decent side back in the late 80s and early 90s. 

And the top league was a very different league in the 80s and early 90s.

I'm not happy with City "just" being a yo-yo club, but would settle for it, for now at least. There will always be a chance of getting better, and may be that chance will come this season.

That doesn't make me a "Happy Clapper," whatever that is supposed to mean, more a realist supporter of a self-funding club in an age dominated by the millions of billionaires.

I tend to sway with the wind, as many a fickle football supporter does. At this moment in time, there is only a very gentle breeze fostering a very  mild level of discontent, and not all against our club. We could do with the rub of the green, with perhaps a disputed decision (Cantwell's offside, Arsenal's goal) going our way for once. Both probably correct decisions, but the finest of margins.

Continuing with the meteorological theme, Farke could now do with a fair wind. We have not been particularly unlucky in this respect, but have had no particular good luck either.

The programme it'self was more balanced this time around, and the Cantona saga will always make for fascinating viewing. 

The Sutton transfer mention will be our lot in the series now, I suppose, unless they do an episode especially devoted to "yo-yo" clubs😀. I seem to recall that the Baggies were the first to receive that acclaim, and I envied them for it at the time. We currently claim the No. 1 spot, so I suppose that's some success in a time when a few ex-Premier League clubs now languish in the "third" division and so-called "established" clubs like Burnley have just one more point than us, despite a much easier start to the season.  

Edited by BroadstairsR

3 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

And the top league was a very different league in the 80s and early 90s.

I'm not happy with City "just" being a yo-yo club, but would settle for it, for now at least. There will always be a chance of getting better, and may be that chance will come this season.

That doesn't make me a "Happy Clapper," whatever that is supposed to mean, more a realist supporter of a self-funding club in an age dominated by the millions of billionaires.

I tend to sway with the wind, as many a fickle football supporter does. At this moment in time, there is only a very gentle breeze fostering a very  mild level of discontent, and not all against our club. We could do with the rub of the green, with perhaps a disputed decision (Cantwell's offside, Arsenal's goal) going our way for once. Both probably correct decisions, but the finest of margins.

Continuing with the meteorological theme, Farke could now do with a fair wind. We have not been particularly unlucky in this respect, but have had no particular good luck either.

The programme it'self was more balanced this time around, and the Cantona saga will always make for fascinating viewing. 

The Sutton transfer mention will be our lot in the series now, I suppose, unless they do an episode especially devoted to "yo-yo" clubs😀. I seem to recall that the Baggies were the first to receive that acclaim, and I envied them for it at the time. We currently claim the No. 1 spot, so I suppose that's some success in a time when a few ex-Premier League clubs now languish in the "third" division and so-called "established" clubs like Burnley have just one more point than us, despite a much easier start to the season.  

Have Norwich ever been anything else other than a self funding club? No Sky money back then and attendances half what they are now for many matches. Football has changed as you say but the achievements back then are not to be sniffed at. 

Those achievements were truly noteworthy, but it is perhaps unfair to mention them in relation to today's situation.

To be sure, City were a self-funding club then, but so were many other teams in the top league, those we were up against.

(Jack Walker's spending made Blackburn an exception, and they duly won the league.)

Today we are a rarity.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Was talking about this with a mate the other day. Can you imagine if Norwich actually won the league that first year? How different would the football mythology look?