Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

NBC Sports: 'Where do norwich stand?'

23 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Tim Howard looks like one of those faces with magnet/iron filing toys....

Pretty sure he still holds the record for most saves by a goalkeper in one international match. Not sure that says much about the USA teams defence at the time mind..

Looking back now he does come across as one of those underrated players you don't tend to think about but was much better than people gave him credit for. I mean he started for Everton over 300 times and I do remember him playing like a top keeper, and a very vocal and aggresive one at that. On the pitch always came across like the kind of guy you would not want to anger.. The perfect kind of personality for a goalkeeper really

Think they were fairly fair comments, interesting that an American TV station appear to have done more research on us than the likes of Sky and TalkSport. 

Edited by Ken Hairy
  • Like 2

The assessments seem quite fair but the comments in the spend are a bit off. “…have received $54m for Buendia…”. Not quite. They might get all of that eventually, but that includes a number of add-one which aren’t guaranteed, and no club pays it all in a lump up-front. I don5 know how much they have been paid, but it’s probably less than half of that so far. 

1 hour ago, Lazza said:

The assessments seem quite fair but the comments in the spend are a bit off. “…have received $54m for Buendia…”. Not quite. They might get all of that eventually, but that includes a number of add-one which aren’t guaranteed, and no club pays it all in a lump up-front. I don5 know how much they have been paid, but it’s probably less than half of that so far. 

The word was that Villa paid the £33m up front to get the deal done early. That converts to around $46m at current conversion rates, so $8m less than Howard's $54m. That was enough to underwrite the first installment payments of the rest of our transactions with the PL payments yet to come.

Edited by Yelloow Since 72
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Yelloow Since 72 said:

The word was that Villa paid the £33m up front to get the deal done early. That converts to around $46m at current conversion rates, so $8m less than Howard's $54m. That was enough to underwrite the first installment payments of the rest of our transactions with the PL payments yet to come.

I've read the same. It was one of the reasons why the deal may have been done so quickly and that Villa became the preferred club to sell to. It was crucial to allow us to get the funds in early in the window to do all of our business without having to worry too much about when instalments of PL cash would come.

It would also have encouraged us to do the deal at a slightly lower price than if matters had dragged on later into the window. A bird in the hand is worth two in the cabbage patch etc...

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Pretty sure he still holds the record for most saves by a goalkeper in one international match. Not sure that says much about the USA teams defence at the time mind..

Looking back now he does come across as one of those underrated players you don't tend to think about but was much better than people gave him credit for. I mean he started for Everton over 300 times and I do remember him playing like a top keeper, and a very vocal and aggresive one at that. On the pitch always came across like the kind of guy you would not want to anger.. The perfect kind of personality for a goalkeeper really

He also has Tourette's I believe. I always rated Tim Howard, top keeper, just went about his work quietly without fanfare. As you say, likely underrated by many.