Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Farkes very first competitive team.. How far we have come

So, there I was watchig through some old highlights of Farkes first season with us as a little retrospective lookback. Reminding myself of that season. It's fair to say it was not quite the best season around, but it is a fun one to look back on. I'm sure we remember this season as being the one in which Burton Albion seemed to get spanked every match yet we ended up getting two 0-0 draws against them.

We of course finished the season in 14th with 60 points, below Ipswich on goal difference as they finished 12th. This was a season in which Maddison very much kicked on, finishing the season as our top scorer with 14 goals. This was the season Farke had his hand at the transfers for the very first time as he had just signed on as our manager. Who did he bring in for us? Why, none other than Vranic, Zimmerman, Steipermann, Srbeny, hernandez, Mclean.. And I mean he did also bring in Husband, Raggett and Watkins too but still I mean you can't win them all. He also let Bassong go, contract termiated, and leaving with him were Bennett, Laffety, Whittaker, Jerome and Ruddy and various others all to try and free up the silly wages they were on as it's fair to say our club was rather suffering at the time with the money side of the club.

But what was the first match of the season for us? Well, it was away to Fulham. We were trailing to an own goal early on and the match was looking a little bleak for us until near the end a beautiful chipped ball over the Fulham defenders from Hoolahan landed right at Oliverias feet an he blasted the ball into the net to resuce a point for us as the game ended 1-1. But what was the team Farke choice for his first ever competitive match with us? Well, here it is. How things change huh?

team.png

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

14 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Oh yeah. Wildschutt as a full back. Pretty hilarious 

Also... Husband. Eek. Bless him. 

TBF, with three at the back he was more of a wing-back. I have to admit I’d forgotten Farke had gone with three central defenders at the start.

Swap out some of the bench for some of the starters and you’ve got a side there that could win the Championship!

44 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Swap out some of the bench for some of the starters and you’ve got a side there that could win the Championship!

Have to be a few swaps. You wouldn’t want Husbands, Franke, Wild**** or Watkins anywhere near it!!

53 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Have to be a few swaps. You wouldn’t want Husbands, Franke, Wild**** or Watkins anywhere near it!!

Hoolahan might be almost 40 but he's tearing it up in league one.. Dare I say he could still do the job in the Championship?

2 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Gunn

pinto Zimmerman Godfrey Martin (I reckon he would be better than Husband at left back)

tettey reid

Murphy Maddison hoolhan

Oliveria

that would be a tough team to beat,

• Like 1

It was a pretty dire season though in some respects with only 49 goals scored compared to league winners Wolves who netted 82!

Luckily it was bad enough to lead to some pretty inspired changes in time for 2018/19, and the rest is history.

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

It was a pretty dire season though in some respects with only 49 goals scored compared to league winners Wolves who netted 82!

Luckily it was bad enough to lead to some pretty inspired changes in time for 2018/19, and the rest is history.

I think that's rewriting it a bit. I think you'll find Webber and Farke warned it was a transition season throughout,  all part of a bigger plan. In fact I recall Webber coming out and telling fans if they didn't enjoy one of the later games that season they should go support someone else. 

I loved it but he took lots of flack on here for it. At the time we had really performed better at home in the second part of the season but a huge amount of fans were unwilling to acknowledge it and continued to scream "GEDDIT FORWOORRDDDSS".

Thankfully Webber and Farke ignored the fan base, continued development of their playing style and at that point,  the rest is history...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Well, the fact that we ended the season lower than Ipswich says all you need to know really

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Well, the fact that we ended the season lower than Ipswich says all you need to know really

Even then they couldn't beat us though 🤣

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Even then they couldn't beat us though 🤣

And that says it all.. Even with one of our weakest squads and seasons in years they still could not beat us. Been what, 20 years now since they did? Time flies by

15 hours ago, hogesar said:

I think that's rewriting it a bit. I think you'll find Webber and Farke warned it was a transition season throughout,  all part of a bigger plan. In fact I recall Webber coming out and telling fans if they didn't enjoy one of the later games that season they should go support someone else. 

I loved it but he took lots of flack on here for it. At the time we had really performed better at home in the second part of the season but a huge amount of fans were unwilling to acknowledge it and continued to scream "GEDDIT FORWOORRDDDSS".

Thankfully Webber and Farke ignored the fan base, continued development of their playing style and at that point,  the rest is history...

It was a very dull season to be fair- 49 goals in 36 games, only 5 teams scoring less than us, and a general obsession with stagnant, sideways passing with no cutting edge or ability to cut teams open. Sure, we built on it the season afterwards but I don't blame fans for being skeptical at that point. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, king canary said:

It was a very dull season to be fair- 49 goals in 36 games, only 5 teams scoring less than us, and a general obsession with stagnant, sideways passing with no cutting edge or ability to cut teams open. Sure, we built on it the season afterwards but I don't blame fans for being skeptical at that point. 

Our football was immense, world class at the time really. I don't get why people complained 😉

Wouldn't mind Reed back to be fair, looking forward to seeing what this Normann chap offers though.

It is an amazing revolution though, to scraping the barrel for players like Husband, Franke and Watkins to signing first choice internationals like Dimi, Rashica and Tzolis for tens of millions! 

2 hours ago, king canary said:

I get that. But what I said was people refused to acknowledge the improvements in the second half of the season and continued to shout "GET IT FURRWAAOOORRDDDSS". People wanted Warnock and similar ilk as manager. What followed should have been a real indication for some that they should show a little patience and try to understand, identify and pay attention. For some on here that's never happened, unfortunately.

In regards to the improvements not being acknowledged in the second half of the season you only have to see @cambridgeshire canary's silly post picking out a couple of poor results. We actually Millwall 2-1, beat Brentford Away, Boro at Home, beat Reading 3-2 at home, beat Villa 3-1 at home, beat Leeds 2-1 at home. And it isn't actually the results that matter in this instance, the performances were clear but people refused to accept it at the time. Like I say, you hope lesson learned.

The changes this window are more of an evolution than an abrupt change. Rashica was the first indication of an increased emphasis on counter-attacking with pace. Sargent and Tzolis have added to that. In midfield, Gilmour and Lees-Melou are another shift, moving away from the double pivot of Skipp and McLean which thrived in the Championship but could be overrun in the PL. The 3 man midfield allows a wider screen in front of the defence but other options to support our own attack as well. It's interesting that Spurs have now switched to a 3 man midfield as well, with Skipp at the heart of it.

McLean, Lees-Melou, Rupp and now Normann can also play at CAM which helps to bridge the gap from midfield to the attacking players while still being able to cover for FBs going forward. The 3-3 balance of midfielders and attacking players should make us stronger overall and harder to predict in attack, hopefully with more goals from midfield as well. With the possible exception of WR (when Sargent isn't playing there), every position has been strengthened for this season and the way we play has been strengthened as well. We'll be less predictable in attack while also being stronger in defence than we were in the PL two years ago.

Edited by Yelloow Since 72