nutty nigel

Manager, coach and man with a sponge..

There's a lot to be said for promoting from within and trying to grow our own people,but sometimes it's beneficial to poach someone who already has vast proven experience to our backroom team like this guy, I know nothing about him but his past career is impressive. I've thought as much as we can spend our PL money on players, it might not be a bad idea to devote a portion of it to poaching high level backroom talent from other clubs while we have the opportunity. 

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Don't forget the two blokes who used to carry the lucky numbers board round the pitch.

And Russell Allison keeping them off the grass.

I don't think Russell grew vegetables at Trowse though...

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Don't forget the two blokes who used to carry the lucky numbers board round the pitch.

And the old boy shouting 'SWEETS' pushing his cart around it too

9 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

And the old boy shouting 'SWEETS' pushing his cart around it too

Used to wind them up by asking for something they didn't have.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

and the finance department ... the two with the blanket.

22 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

and the finance department ... the two with the blanket.

Wonder what happened to the blanket? Did more for the club than any Hall of Famer.

2 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

There's a lot to be said for promoting from within and trying to grow our own people,but sometimes it's beneficial to poach someone who already has vast proven experience to our backroom team like this guy, I know nothing about him but his past career is impressive. I've thought as much as we can spend our PL money on players, it might not be a bad idea to devote a portion of it to poaching high level backroom talent from other clubs while we have the opportunity. 

This is exactly how Webber operates. Gone are the days where every penny is put down the drain through the first team players 

Who'd be up for having a guess at the amount of backroom staff there are at Colney?

Load of old nonsense. Everyone knows football is easy. 

4-4-2, fast wingers, big man/little man up top and “safety first clear your lines” defending = success. 🏆 

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

This is exactly how Webber operates. Gone are the days where every penny is put down the drain through the first team players 

Who'd be up for having a guess at the amount of backroom staff there are at Colney?

Yeah. But quite often in the past 4 years we have seen promotions from within, at least in high profile positions like the u-23's coach or GK coach and that is totally fine. But as a self funding club we need to eek out every small advantage possible and on occasion it might be worth recruiting high level talent from elsewhere like John Iga. He has experience doing tough, specialized jobs and has worked at similar sized or bigger clubs in similar roles, you can't help but think he's going to be better in this job than someone we give a promotion to from within who hasn't done that role before.

Again I'm not slagging off the club's approach, I just like it when we bring in talent from elsewhere. 

4 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

When they stopped doing that my career dreams were shattered 😫

While the video is a basically a glorified advert for Joma - the hire of Dr John Iga as 'Head of Strategy and Innovation' is very intriguing.

He was at Huddersfield as Head of Sports Science and hired by Webber to be part of Wagner's team. He was credited with keeping the small squad relatively injury free, despite Wagner's very intense training and play style. Dr Iga was also Head of Sports Science for the FA for a while. 

Would be very interested to know what his role entails - the title suggests it isn’t  simply as a part of the medical team. Hopefully it is Norwich trying to mimic (in a small way) Liverpool's research team, who have been a large part of their success. 

Edited by Bethnal Yellow and Green
  • Thanks 1

On 04/09/2021 at 17:35, keelansgrandad said:

Wonder what happened to the blanket? Did more for the club than any Hall of Famer.

Maybe a hero of its time, but turned out to be wet. Was set to training on its own & finally left at the same time as RvW

28 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Maybe a hero of its time, but turned out to be wet. Was set to training on its own & finally left at the same time as RvW

Of course they would have to carry a duvet round now😀