Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Interesting little article on Gilmour

Of course its very early days so far and Billy deserves some more time to get going which could take several more games. But at the same time he will be of little use to us if he is going to spend his short spell here on a slow and steady learning curve. We need someone to have an impact sooner than that, unfortunately that means he is / will be under pressure to perform.

I hope there isn't anything written too harshly about playing time for him, and ditto for Williams. With no option to buy its really hard to make a case for persisting with them if they struggle when we have better or equal full-time NCFC options on the bench.

However both players  are already showing promise so hopefully it doesn't come to that.

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

He is still young. He also earns more in a week than the majority of people who have a season ticket earn in a year and I have been fairly unimpressed with him so far.

If Billy doesn't like my criticism (and I'm pretty sure he couldn't care less of my opinion) he can always quit football and work a job which isn't so much in the public eye, like a barman, postman or bus driver.

He needs time and support for sure - not folks laying into him after 3 games around sides that will be challenging for the title/top 4.  Nobody should be immune from criticism if they are doing badly, but give the lad a chance and let's see where we're at after 10-12 games when he's properly bedded in with the system, tactics and how his team mates play.

Really don't see what his wage has to do with anything really either, as it's all relative.  Footballers get paid more that your average Joe, shock, horror... Plenty of players in the championship that earn more and 20k a week, it's just the pond they swim in, like it or not.

6 hours ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

He is still young. He also earns more in a week than the majority of people who have a season ticket earn in a year and I have been fairly unimpressed with him so far.

If Billy doesn't like my criticism (and I'm pretty sure he couldn't care less of my opinion) he can always quit football and work a job which isn't so much in the public eye, like a barman, postman or bus driver.

What do you do for a living?

• Like 1

I think the best thing we can do in this situation is look at how we've developed other young talent in the past. That, after all, is partly the reason we have been trusted with Gilmour. 

Skipp didn't start amazingly well for us in the championship, but he progressed with each and every game, until he was fully comfortable in his position and the rest is history. 

With Gilmour, you have a player who has had a few games in the Prem albeit with some excellent players around him. Chelsea want to see how his progression pans out in this league hence entrusting him to us. The issue is, it's not the championship now so he has to try and develop in a difficult league. 

If he plays enough I think we'll see more from him but it is entirely possible that now we have our other midfield enforcement, he won't get in at all. That would be disappointing for all involved but now it's up to him to show what he's got. 

Has he been playing in his best position for us?  Don’t think so, that’s not his fault.  
But now he can play further forward he needs to perform otherwise like any player, he will get benched.  

Edited by Danbury Yellow

7 hours ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

I'm sure if you worked in any of the 3 jobs you've stated you'll get seen more in the public eye....

1 minute ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

How so?

Really? So bus drivers don't see hundreds of people a day? Postmen or women don't walk past hundreds of people a day and sometimes have to knock on doors. Bar tenders don't pull pints for hundreds a people a day? 🤣

16 minutes ago, Danbury Yellow said:

Has he been playing in his best position for us?  Don’t think so, that’s not his fault.  
But now he can play further forward he needs to perform otherwise like any player, he will get benched.  

I still have hope that once Normann becomes our regular defensive midfielder and Gilmour starts moved higher up and getting played more central alongside say Lees-Melou or Mclean he will really start to shine and play better

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

2 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Really? So bus drivers don't see hundreds of people a day? Postmen or women don't walk past hundreds of people a day and sometimes have to knock on doors. Bar tenders don't pull pints for hundreds a people a day? 🤣

Premier League footballers get broadcast to billions all over the world?

Agreed he might not be playing in his preferred position, but then we don't have a Kante.

I also think he plays better for Scotland and in that role I see some similarities with Modric.

He's a great little player and it's down to Farke to get the best out of him.

I sincerely hope I am wrong because Gilmour looks like being a good player. But with us, is he a square peg in a round hole at the moment?

1 hour ago, Gibbo said:

He needs time and support for sure - not folks laying into him after 3 games around sides that will be challenging for the title/top 4.  Nobody should be immune from criticism if they are doing badly, but give the lad a chance and let's see where we're at after 10-12 games when he's properly bedded in with the system, tactics and how his team mates play.

Really don't see what his wage has to do with anything really either, as it's all relative.  Footballers get paid more that your average Joe, shock, horror... Plenty of players in the championship that earn more and 20k a week, it's just the pond they swim in, like it or not.

Agree with this broadly speaking. He needs time and not people getting on his back. However, people are entitled to say he's not good enough if they think that way. If he was a builder and the wall he built for you fell down, you're entitled to moan about it. If he is a chef and burnt your chips, you are entitled to moan about it. If he's a footballer who is not performing as a footballer, you're entitled to moan about it.

For what its it's worth, I think by the end of the season we'll be desperate to sign him permanently as he will improve as the season goes on. Skipp was a far, far better player on game 30 last year than he was on game five. Gilmour will go the same way. It's the reason he is here and not in the Chelsea first team (yet)!

48 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Premier League footballers get broadcast to billions all over the world?

Yeah broadcast. Not always face to face with people is it. 

On the subject of Gilmour and Normann, if Normann is injured who replaces him and if no one does, will Gilmour then fall back to this current position which, as we all feel, isn’t really suiting him??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I still have hope that once Normann becomes our regular defensive midfielder and Gilmour starts moved higher up and getting played more central alongside say Lees-Melou or Mclean he will really start to shine and play better

I think this will be the case too.  Quality player on our books.  

8 hours ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

Billy may not take any notice of you and your criticism, but multiply that up a thousand fold and with twatter and social media jealousies and cliques ramping it up, then the effect could be much greater. Footballers are human beings and we shouldn't forget that. If players get too much criticism on top of too much expectation it can affect them, especially younger players who haven't perhaps learned how to deal with that kind of stuff. That is all Steve Clarke - and Daniel Fatrke - have been saying.  

The article mentions KIopp too and I'd criticise him for coming out with over the top statements about players like he does. He's been doing it for years, heaping too much praise and probably pressure on young players - he did it with Vrancic when he was young and probably affected his career, he probably got into Todd's head a year or two ago too and he's done it again with Gilmour. He should know better.

40 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Billy may not take any notice of you and your criticism, but multiply that up a thousand fold and with twatter and social media jealousies and cliques ramping it up, then the effect could be much greater. Footballers are human beings and we shouldn't forget that. If players get too much criticism on top of too much expectation it can affect them, especially younger players who haven't perhaps learned how to deal with that kind of stuff. That is all Steve Clarke - and Daniel Fatrke - have been saying.  

The article mentions KIopp too and I'd criticise him for coming out with over the top statements about players like he does. He's been doing it for years, heaping too much praise and probably pressure on young players - he did it with Vrancic when he was young and probably affected his career, he probably got into Todd's head a year or two ago too and he's done it again with Gilmour. He should know better.

So you're blaming klopp for careers failing... look at Liverpool in the last season how many youngsters have had to play and he stuck with them....

16 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

That's not what being in the public eye means.

a position that receives a lot of public notice and attention. Kinda is. But you win as I can't be bothered. You seem to be one of these who always has to be right.

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yeah I completely agree , really excited about Norman , we have always been known as a soft team , but Norman can change this.

10 hours ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

He also earns more in a week than the majority of people who have a season ticket earn in a year

So if he was paid a more "reasonable" wage you wouldn't complain as much? No.

Ergo, what he earns has got nothing to do with it. And after all, why should he get paid less when all of his peers are likely on even more money than he is? 

45 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

Yeah I completely agree , really excited about Norman , we have always been known as a soft team , but Norman can change this.

Possibly but he'll need time to adapt to the Premier League and the physicality. 

I watched him the other night for Norway, for every good thing he done, he matched it with either a misplaced pass or caught in possession.

Cracking long throw though, it would be a waste not to make use of that.

Can't wait to see him in action for us.

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Possibly but he'll need time to adapt to the Premier League and the physicality. 

I watched him the other night for Norway, for every good thing he done, he matched it with either a misplaced pass or caught in possession.

Cracking long throw though, it would be a waste not to make use of that.

Can't wait to see him in action for us.

oh yeah he'll need time , Russian league to prem is a big step up.

5 hours ago, Ward 3 said:

So you're blaming klopp for careers failing... look at Liverpool in the last season how many youngsters have had to play and he stuck with them....

Yes, it is quite possible Klopp's over exuberance can have an opposite effect to what he intends on some players. The art of good management is to know when to build players up and when they need to have their feet kept on the ground.  He said he regretted saying what he did about Vrancic all those years ago in building him up as the next wonderkid, but he still does it to players in other teams. 

15 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

What do you do for a living?

What I do for a living is about as relevant to this conversation as what you do for a living, and no one cares about what either of us do.

11 hours ago, chicken said:

So if he was paid a more "reasonable" wage you wouldn't complain as much? No.

Ergo, what he earns has got nothing to do with it. And after all, why should he get paid less when all of his peers are likely on even more money than he is? 

No what I inferred is if he was a postman I probably wouldn't care as much about his performance, unless he was my postman and wasn't delivering my mail, then I'd be equally as disappointed.