Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

Playing for England

We did, but neither were very good performances against teams who are mid-rebuild. Werner and Muller missed sitters for Germany if you recall, and Belgium were under strength. We were also at home in both - not sure we would have had the same success in their backyards. Don't forget also that we couldn't beat a simply dreadful Scotland team.

We also managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory against both Croatia and Italy. I know everyone agrees that this is progress for England, but we really should have won both and one (not the only) reason why we didn't was because Southgate didn't trust his players enough. He is a Hughton-esque manager whose teams play boring football where only the result matters, so when you don't get the result there is no saving grace.

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Stones is fine. Not been the best at his club recently but he does fine, plays for a top club I think he's a pretty good defender. Mings is a violent thug who should not be on any football pitch and does not in any way deserve to wear the England shirt. Coady is ok, clearly a solid leader for Wolves and a pretty good player. Still not too sure if he should be a regular starter for England though, but he does fine. No real complaints.

As for some other choices in the defence I think England could go for.. On the left while Shaw should contunue being number one in my opinion don't see why Chilwell shoud not be given another shot, has always been reliable for the Foxes and has never really put a foot wrong.

On the right we have Walker who once again I have no issues with and I think is one of Englands best defenders, however why Wan-Bissaka has not been given a chance recently is beyond me. Young which Southgate likes as we know he's clearly talented and never looks out of place for United is full of pace and statsticly one of the best tacklers in the Prem the past season.. Although sadly I doubt his England callup will come anytime soon however given he's recently been arrested for drink driving mind so that's out the window.. Although of course Grealish was arrested and charged with the same yet he's made it into the England squad so who knows what the future holds

As for centrebacks.. I feel Maguire should continue being in the England lineup. He's always been solid for England and has clearly started to improve for both club and country and I feel he does get a little too much slack thrown at him. But as for my choice for a surprise callup I would make, hmm.. Michael Keane should get a shot I feel. Been doing well for Everton and has always seemed like he's up for a fight and a defensive battle. Rather surprised to not see him get a callup recently.. Been a whole two years since he last was. Tarkowski is one that I feel very much deservers a callup, alongside his Burnley partner Mee. I feel Tarkowski is probably the better of them two of them though, and I still have no idea why he's not been called up giving just how good and strong he has been for Burnley recently. Maybe he has said he would prefer a Poland callup? Who knows, I guess only he and Southgate do.

Now you want a real crazy out of left field callup I would make? Smalling. Haha, no I have not been hit on the head. Yes he became somewhat of a joke player for Man United (Although given he was alongside Phil Jones at the time I don't think the blame is all on Smalling..) but ever since moving to Roma in Italy he has been quite frankly phenomenal for them. He's won awards, best defender trophies and once again from a stats perspective one of the best defenders in the Italian divison. Yes I understand that's not quite the Prem, and he if called up would be one of the oldest players for England and we know Southgate loves his players to be on the younger side and all.. But I feel he could be a surprise callup that would really prove everyone wrong. He has all the experience of playing at a top level for most of his career and I really do feel that much as people would laugh and joke about it he really would do very well for England right about now.

Wan Bissaka is behind Walker, Trippier, Alexander-Arnold & James, and rightly so.

Need to remember to win World Cups or Euros you need to play tournament football and pick teams accordingly. Some players will get in due to being able to play in different systems , different positions and take onboard information from the coaches at any given time . 
Some of the afore mentioned were great players but for reasons unknown were not able to adapt , or accept different roles as required. 
Our recent successes- which is the only way to view a semi final and a final - is due to adaptation when required . We played very differently against Scotland , to Germany , and Denmark often with the same players . 
You can’t just pick your best players , in their club positions, for a tournament. 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

On 03/09/2021 at 17:58, Ward 3 said:

If you play for any of the big 6 you're an England International. Joke

Yup, because England now are poor, not like all those fantastic teams they had in the 70s, 80s, 90s etc!!

Maybe you should apply for a job on talk sport!!

5 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Yup, because England now are poor, not like all those fantastic teams they had in the 70s, 80s, 90s etc!!

Maybe you should apply for a job on talk sport!!

OK..... not really sure what your point is. Pretty pointless post 😂

On 04/09/2021 at 12:03, cambridgeshire canary said:

Stones is fine. Not been the best at his club recently but he does fine, plays for a top club I think he's a pretty good defender. Mings is a violent thug who should not be on any football pitch and does not in any way deserve to wear the England shirt. Coady is ok, clearly a solid leader for Wolves and a pretty good player. Still not too sure if he should be a regular starter for England though, but he does fine. No real complaints.

As for some other choices in the defence I think England could go for.. On the left while Shaw should contunue being number one in my opinion don't see why Chilwell shoud not be given another shot, has always been reliable for the Foxes and has never really put a foot wrong.

On the right we have Walker who once again I have no issues with and I think is one of Englands best defenders, however why Wan-Bissaka has not been given a chance recently is beyond me. Young which Southgate likes as we know he's clearly talented and never looks out of place for United is full of pace and statsticly one of the best tacklers in the Prem the past season.. Although sadly I doubt his England callup will come anytime soon however given he's recently been arrested for drink driving mind so that's out the window.. Although of course Grealish was arrested and charged with the same yet he's made it into the England squad so who knows what the future holds

As for centrebacks.. I feel Maguire should continue being in the England lineup. He's always been solid for England and has clearly started to improve for both club and country and I feel he does get a little too much slack thrown at him. But as for my choice for a surprise callup I would make, hmm.. Michael Keane should get a shot I feel. Been doing well for Everton and has always seemed like he's up for a fight and a defensive battle. Rather surprised to not see him get a callup recently.. Been a whole two years since he last was. Tarkowski is one that I feel very much deservers a callup, alongside his Burnley partner Mee. I feel Tarkowski is probably the better of them two of them though, and I still have no idea why he's not been called up giving just how good and strong he has been for Burnley recently. Maybe he has said he would prefer a Poland callup? Who knows, I guess only he and Southgate do.

Now you want a real crazy out of left field callup I would make? Smalling. Haha, no I have not been hit on the head. Yes he became somewhat of a joke player for Man United (Although given he was alongside Phil Jones at the time I don't think the blame is all on Smalling..) but ever since moving to Roma in Italy he has been quite frankly phenomenal for them. He's won awards, best defender trophies and once again from a stats perspective one of the best defenders in the Italian divison. Yes I understand that's not quite the Prem, and he if called up would be one of the oldest players for England and we know Southgate loves his players to be on the younger side and all.. But I feel he could be a surprise callup that would really prove everyone wrong. He has all the experience of playing at a top level for most of his career and I really do feel that much as people would laugh and joke about it he really would do very well for England right about now.

Smalling would be in the Italian team, but he is more of a Mee type player than a Stones.  

I agree with every point, except Keane, I really struggle to see the potential, Gibson is better on the ball, and Keane makes regular defensive mistakes, I am surprised Everton are still keen on Keane.