Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Semi 85

Who attended this feisty night at Carrow road? 
Lots of arrests and Town players crying like babies in the changing room. Here’s what the referee thought. 

Former referee Keith Hackett said of the East Anglian derby: 

"As for the most aggressive atmosphere that I’ve ever encountered, believe it or not it was at Carrow Road for Norwich v Ipswich Town. There are certain derby fixtures that you always know are going to be highly charged, but the East Anglian derby tops the lot. The players came out of the tunnel as if they were ready for a boxing match. The noise was intense and aggressive."[6]

Edited by Midlands Yellow
  • Like 1

Yes I was there, I was 12 years old. I was a season ticket holder with my dad & we sat in the south stand. I remember my dad grabbing me & we were both jumping around like a couple of lunatics. My dad has since passed away, but looking back always brings a smile to my face. The final at Wembley is something which I will never forget, my dad & me having a brilliant day together. I had a raffle ticket for us to win 1-0 & the prize was a £10, which was a lot for a 12 year old. But I nearly didn’t win, because of Mark Barhams effort, which just went over the bar. Happy times indeed. 

• Like 3

I was there, back of the (old) south stand. only tickets I could get, as usually in the terracing. 

Cracking game, atmosphere and result. 

Yes, I was there. Keith Hackett was excellent that night, probably the best performance I've seen by a ref.

Just before Bruce scored my mate said "We never score from corners", he said it every time we got a corner at Wembley, we had to tell him to shut up.

I still don't know how we came away from the 1st leg at Poorman Rd only one nil down, we were awful.

8 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

I still don't know how we came away from the 1st leg at Poorman Rd only one nil down, we were awful.

Probably their last significant victory! 

I was in the River End, and as has been said, when Bruce scored, it was right up there for pandemonium. 

I was also at the away game, and for the first time in my life, walked away really happy from a defeat.

Bruce's goal remains my most exhilarating football watching moment, if you weren't there, particularly if you were too young or even not born it is hard to appreciate the visceral nature of football at the time. I think that has been lost. That said Carrow Road was a true **** hole, building site on one side, teams changing in portacabins, and a undercurrent of violence prevalent in football and wider society generally. All that and the Binners, although in decline, were coming off the back of a decade of East Anglian dominance and a series of what must be admitted were fine teams.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Bruce's goal remains my most exhilarating football watching moment, if you weren't there, particularly if you were too young or even not born it is hard to appreciate the visceral nature of football at the time. I think that has been lost. That said Carrow Road was a true **** hole, building site on one side, teams changing in portacabins, and a undercurrent of violence prevalent in football and wider society generally. All that and the Binners, although in decline, were coming off the back of a decade of East Anglian dominance and a series of what must be admitted were fine teams.

Some awful stadiums back then in Div 1. But Kenilworth Road, Filbert Street and the Dell were far worse. 

27 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I was in the River End, and as has been said, when Bruce scored, it was right up there for pandemonium. 

I was also at the away game, and for the first time in my life, walked away really happy from a defeat.

Yes, I was at both too.

It was funny, looking back, at Portman Road because we were all singing near the end as if we had won rather than lost - obviously confident about the second leg!

I was at Uni - living in Brighton.  Could only follow the game by radio reports - it wasn’t even a live commentary. With a few minutes left the radio station (would have been Radio 2 in those days?) said - there has been a goal at Carrow Road … the reporter said 

“it will be Norwich City going to Wembley as Steve Bruce blah blah “ and I went absolutely f3cking mental. 

No one else in our halls of residence gave a monkies about the score . 

what a night .

That was the night Terry Butcher kicked The Scum dressing room door in at the end of the game which was in a temporary portacabin situated between the River End and the City Stand as a result of the fire.

I was there in a rammed Barclay with my mates John and Phil . We’d had a few pints ( Horse and Drey , Ber Street I think ) then got there really early to get a good spot behind the goal.Then of course we were absolutely bursting for a p*ss but didn’t dare leave that spot until half time whistle . It was fever pitch the whole game. so much so that I can’t actually remember much about the game apart from Steve Bruce scoring that glorious  header in front of us. I can replay that in my head even now .Got a big photo from the EDP on my wall of him wheeling away after he’s scored with Donowa , Channon and Deehan. Crazy celebrations at the end. Then I think I was actually in a bit of a state of shock. We’d actually beaten Ipswich to get to Wembley …..we were better than them …….. it felt like a sea change in our clubs fortunes .💛💚 OTBC . 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Some awful stadiums back then in Div 1. But Kenilworth Road, Filbert Street and the Dell were far worse. 

Worst stadium I went to in that era was Stamford Bridge. Away fans in one completely open end , and the terracing literally crumbling away in big lumps. Let alone having to run the gauntlet of the the regulars of the Chelsea Shed before and after. 

28 minutes ago, Pockthorpe said:

I was there in a rammed Barclay with my mates John and Phil . We’d had a few pints ( Horse and Drey , Ber Street I think ) then got there really early to get a good spot behind the goal.Then of course we were absolutely bursting for a p*ss but didn’t dare leave that spot until half time whistle . It was fever pitch the whole game. so much so that I can’t actually remember much about the game apart from Steve Bruce scoring that glorious  header in front of us. I can replay that in my head even now .Got a big photo from the EDP on my wall of him wheeling away after he’s scored with Donowa , Channon and Deehan. Crazy celebrations at the end. Then I think I was actually in a bit of a state of shock. We’d actually beaten Ipswich to get to Wembley …..we were better than them …….. it felt like a sea change in our clubs fortunes .💛💚 OTBC . 

The Horse and Drey brings  back memories, hit that one after the the Murderers and Surrey Tavern on a crawl. Happy days at Carrow Road with people no longer with us. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I was at Uni - living in Brighton.  Could only follow the game by radio reports - it wasn’t even a live commentary. With a few minutes left the radio station (would have been Radio 2 in those days?) said - there has been a goal at Carrow Road … the reporter said 

“it will be Norwich City going to Wembley as Steve Bruce blah blah “ and I went absolutely f3cking mental. 

No one else in our halls of residence gave a monkies about the score . 

what a night .

Power of the radio to send you crazy in the day. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pockthorpe said:

Worst stadium I went to in that era was Stamford Bridge. Away fans in one completely open end , and the terracing literally crumbling away in big lumps. Let alone having to run the gauntlet of the the regulars of the Chelsea Shed before and after. 

To tell the truth when we got to Wembley it was by then a pretty poor stadium, partiicularly in comparison with today's standards.