Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

England vs Hungary World Cup qualifiers

1 minute ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Hope England really stick it to them now, finish with a couple more goals and really **** these fans off. 

What fans?

This is better but its still not the best. 

I think Sterling was out of order taking his shirt off. There is plenty of social media to make a statement. The crowd were just waiting for it.

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think Sterling was out of order taking his shirt off. There is plenty of social media to make a statement. The crowd were just waiting for it.

It was an RIP message for some YouTuber (or the like) friend of his who died of Covid at 26.

Just now, Foxy2600 said:

Our wonderful ex- EU friends…all inclusive, all integrated, all diverse….. it’s now 0-4 lol 

To be fair, the Hungarians under Orban are quite the opposite of the EU ideal. The polar opposite, in fact.

1 minute ago, shefcanary said:

That Hungarian 'keeper is ****!

Leipzig keeper, he's normally decent but made a few blunders tonight. Has made some decent saves from Kane though. 

10 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

'he was asking for it' 

Yes, mustn't upset the delicate racists, even though the shirt was a tribute message to his recently deceased friend. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

4-0 win away at Hungary against this crowd is an excellent result. They managed two draws in the World Cup group stages against France and Germany, so what more are you expecting exactly?

And I'm surprised you would think Sterling is the one who is out-of-order in that celebration? Those fans deserved a hell of a lot more back from our players than they got, disgusting bunch of ****. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

That Hungarian 'keeper is ****!

Gulácsi on a good day is a very solid keeper, statistically one of the best keepers in the Bundesliga.. Not sure what was up with him tonight mind think all that was going on must have got to him

17 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

You are aware the message Sterling had on his shirt was one in respect and memory to a friend of his that had recently passed away and not a message that anything to do with racism.. right?

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

If the crowd are offended at a goalscorer taking his shirt off to reveal a message about a friend who died, and they're offended at his skin colour, then the problem is not remotely with the scorer.

Right, here's hoping Saka, Bellingham, Sterling, Mings - all of them, just take their shirts off to **** the crowd even more. You'd think it would be even more evidence for FIFA to act on and maybe cause a couple of matches behind closed doors.

• Like 2

Good win in the end against the Hungarian scum.

FIFA has to take action this time, it's getting beyond the joke. Everytime we play some backward eastern european country our coloured players have to put up with this.

5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

FIFA has to take action this time, it's getting beyond the joke. Everytime we play some backward eastern european country our coloured players have to put up with this.

Dunno, Kosovo were pretty welcoming when England faced them in Prishtina if I recall correctly. Were the Czechs that bad either in the Euro qualifiers as I don't remember their fans being off either?

Bulgaria and Hungary were the problems IIRC.

12 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Dunno, Kosovo were pretty welcoming when England faced them in Prishtina if I recall correctly. Were the Czechs that bad either in the Euro qualifiers as I don't remember their fans being off either?

Bulgaria and Hungary were the problems IIRC.

To be fair Kosovo fans and Kosovian people in general tend to be super fond of and love us English folk, mostly down to that war of theres that we helped them win and gain their countires independence in and all

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

9 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

It's our yellow and pink polka dot players I really feel for.

10 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

I know you're making an anti-racist statement, but, please don't describe the victims as coloured, many see that as just as offensive....

23 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

I know you're making an anti-racist statement, but, please don't describe the victims as coloured, many see that as just as offensive....

But “ person of colour “ is ok as it’s just been used on the telly ? 

28 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

I know ‘coloured’ is no longer an accepted term, but let’s not conflate a genuine error and targeted racist abuse as equally offensive - that’s absurd. It’s pretty obvious what the actual problem is here.

5 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

But “ person of colour “ is ok as it’s just been used on the telly ? 

It's better. Coloured has negative connotations for a lot of people from the way it was used in the past in a discriminatory way, e.g. "no coloureds". In capt pants post above the (currently) most accepted way would have probably been to refer to our BAME players.

3 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I know ‘coloured’ is no longer an accepted term, but let’s not conflate a genuine error and targeted racist abuse as equally offensive - that’s absurd. It’s pretty obvious what the actual problem is here.

I wasn't, as I said, I know it was an anti-racist post. It was merely an attempt for education, not challenging or confronting and I apologise if it came across as such.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'm all for lobbing EVERY black player on as subs just to wind this crowd right up.

No need to stoop to their level, fair play to the lads for just getting the job done and in some style with a very good second half.

Its so sad in this modern age that we still have sexism and racism everywhere, just no need for it really

2 hours ago, AJ said:

No need to stoop to their level, fair play to the lads for just getting the job done and in some style with a very good second half.

Its so sad in this modern age that we still have sexism and racism everywhere, just no need for it really

I really don't see that as stooping to their level at all. More a case of fully, and definitively, exposing a troublesome minority of fans for what they are.

A couple of thoughts after the game: England put out a very strong starting eleven, and won deservedly, as we gradually fell apart in the second half. A  bit disappointed as secretly I was hoping for a point, but bearing in mind that England's squad value was over 1bn euros vs 100 thousand, that's reality.  Gulácsi may have the reputation of a solid keeper in the Bundesliga, he makes blunders regularly when playing for Hungary, I'm happier when Dibusz or Bogdan stands in goal.

As to the crowd reactions: while I do hate taking the knee , as it is 100% political and has no merits beyond provocation, I find booing it dumb for the very same reason. I never did it myself, but it's not a crime.  Where I sat I heard no racist abuses,  there may have been a couple of individual ones, but certainly  not at mass level. Sterling or any other player may have been booed in the context of the game, for perceived playacting, or his goal celebration,  but for not other reasons.  Taking goal celebration to the home ultras is never a good idea, but then I distinctly remember France fans throwing cups at Hungary players at the Euros, while I cannot recall UEFA taking any issues about it.   Rest assured, we'll get a 25 match stadium ban in addition to the ones we picked up during the Euros, and I bet England will get a warning, and some symbolic fine.  You can rely on UEFA/FIFA double standards.      

13 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

To be fair, the Hungarians under Orban are quite the opposite of the EU ideal. The polar opposite, in fact.

A sweeping generalisation. Although the EU-ideal itself is quite questionable. 

37 minutes ago, Budapest Canary said:

I bet England will get a warning, and some symbolic fine.  You can rely on UEFA/FIFA double standards.      

Can you expand on this point - what double standard are you referring to?

• Like 1