Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

England vs Hungary World Cup qualifiers

So, it's just two days away until our/Englands world cup campaign starts. First up is Hungary this Thursday, with kick off at 7:45PM. Live on ITV if I remember right. Now let's be fairĀ  this match should be a win but end of the day.. This is England we are talking about. Now for those of you who are out of the loop or have forgot here is the squad that Southgate called up.

E9t1gULXEAYdsmw?format=jpg&name=small

Now the question is.. Who do you want to see play for England against Hungary? I think I would go for a bit of a mix and match like this, give some of the newer ones a shot and the ones just returning from injury a go, while sneaking in one or two of the more experienced lads.

england-team.png

5 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Bamford? Really?

Of the forwards selected, he would definitely be last choice.Ā 

Hate to break it to you but it's Hungary and not Brazil. If he does not get a shot against them he's never getting a shot.

Ā 

I know that he was never that good for us but hey.. Over 40 goals in 100 apperences for Leeds. No point in him being with England if he's not gonna get a chance against the weaker sides otherwise we just end up playing Kane every single match

You're not breaking anything to me, but he's the least best option in his position in the squad. While Hungary might not be Brazil, nor are we.Ā 

16 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Hate to break it to you but it's Hungary and not Brazil. If he does not get a shot against them he's never getting a shot.

Hungary looked a pretty tough side to beat in the Euros and are probably our strongest rivalsĀ alongside Poland.Ā 

Surely all of yourĀ rotation options would make more sense against an Andorra or San Marino type team?

image.png.11eb7274a94394adee37761436636589.png

• Like 1

Cant take any chances with world cup qualification...only top place goes automatically through, second place has to go through 2 one off rounds of playoffs where anything could happen on the night - a sending off, penalties.

2 tough away games in Budapest and Warsaw with no away fans arent the games to experiment and do anything other than play Kane.

Andorra at home in between is the time to experiment with the likes of Bamford but after Calvert-Lewin dropping out , Southgate's continued omission of Greenwood demands explanation

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Bamford? Really?

Calvert-Lewin is injured and out of the squad,Ā with three games in such a short period and only two central strikers chosen Bamford has to play, if not why pick him in the first place?Ā 

20 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

Calvert-Lewin is injured and out of the squad,Ā with three games in such a short period and only two central strikers chosen Bamford has to play, if not why pick him in the first place?Ā 

I wouldn't have.Ā 

8 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

I wouldn't have.Ā 

Just beacause you don't like someone does not mean they arent a decent striker. Bamford has statistically scored the same number of goals for Leeds as Lewin has for Everton in almost 50 less apperences..

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

13 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Just beacause you don't like someone does not mean they arent a decent striker. Bamford has statistically scored the same number of goals for Leeds as Lewin has for Everton in almost 50 less apperences..

How many games has Calvert-Lewin played for Everton in the Championship? You know, statistically...

Just because you'd play someone against Hungary doesn't make them a good striker or mean that everyone has to agree with you.Ā 

1 hour ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Bamford? Really?

DCL has pulled out with injury, so it's him or Kane and makes sense to give Bamford a go. I agree, in that I don't rate the guy. I'd rather call up Greenwood and give him a shot, he's got a big future for England I feel.

4 minutes ago, AJ said:

DCL has pulled out with injury, so it's him or Kane and makes sense to give Bamford a go. I agree, in that I don't rate the guy. I'd rather call up Greenwood and give him a shot, he's got a big future for England I feel.

As GJL mentioned above, I wouldn't be surprised to see him start against Andorra, but I can't see him getting a look in with the other fixtures unless it's as a sub when the game is safe. I'll also add I've nothing much against him, just don't think he's very good.Ā 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Duncan Edwards said:

As GJL mentioned above, I wouldn't be surprised to see him start against Andorra, but I can't see him getting a look in with the other fixtures unless it's as a sub when the game is safe. I'll also add I've nothing much against him, just don't think he's very good.Ā 

That's pretty much how I feel about him. I mean he knows where the net is, but most of the goals I've seen him score have been tap-ins

• Like 1

That is a REALLY sh!t group. Hungary and Poland are average to slightly above-average sides but will probably put up stern resistance on their home turf. England will probably do their customary flat-track assault in the qualifiers. Albania had a spell where they could be justifiable gatekeepers a few years ago but not moved on, whilst Andorra and San Marino are complete bunnies.

I'd let Saka on from the start. Let him get back in a shirt with hopefully positive experience after the Euros and the gibberish he was exposed to by a set of window-licking morons and let him exorcise it.

23 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

That is a REALLY sh!t group. Hungary and Poland are average to slightly above-average sides but will probably put up stern resistance on their home turf. England will probably do their customary flat-track assault in the qualifiers. Albania had a spell where they could be justifiable gatekeepers a few years ago but not moved on, whilst Andorra and San Marino are complete bunnies.

I'd let Saka on from the start. Let him get back in a shirt with hopefully positive experience after the Euros and the gibberish he was exposed to by a set of window-licking morons and let him exorcise it.

Agreed. Hopefully he'll pick up a niggly injury to keep him out of his next league game.Ā 

I'd be surprised if the line up differs from the Euro final. Southgate has his favourites and despite his claims he picks players based on form it'll be the same starting XI as against ItalyĀ 

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

Sancho is just hugely overrated based on what Iā€™ve seen of him so far.Ā 

Sadly I have to agree with Jim on this one

It's a qualifier, not a friendly. Hungary will be a tough nut away from home so it's vital we don't slip up. Kane will start.

I'd lose all respect for Southgate if he picks bleedin Bamford.

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

So, it's just two days away until our/Englands world cup campaign starts.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Hate to point it out, but the campaign started months ago, we've pretty much already qualifiedĀ šŸ¤Ŗ

7 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

It's a qualifier, not a friendly. Hungary will be a tough nut away from home so it's vital we don't slip up. Kane will start.

I'd lose all respect for Southgate if he picks bleedin Bamford.

Take it no Hungary fans allowed? After all were they not the uh... Balaclava and roman saluting lot?

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Does anyone watch these matches anymore?Ā 

No, nobody does. Hell, there is no way on Earth Englands last macthes in the Euro League made it into the top five most watched live tv shows in the UK in TV history.

Ā 

Nope. Nobody watches them. No way 30 million people watched England V Italy for exmaple.

2 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

When Coady, Mings, Phillips and Bamford can get in your national squad - let alone first 11 - you know you're not very good.

Phillips seems decent, Coady the same. Mings however is a bit of a donkey. Don't think any of them should be first choice but end of the day when most top six Prem teams have an almost full regular 11 mostly made up of non English players the England team does tend to suffer.

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Take it no Hungary fans allowed? After all were they not the uh... Balaclava and roman saluting lot?

Expect locally based ones will be allowed in.Ā 

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

No, nobody does. Hell, there is no way on Earth Englands last macthes in the Euro League made it into the top five most watched live tv shows in the UK in TV history.

Ā 

Nope. Nobody watches them. No way 30 million people watched England V Italy for exmaple.

Qualifiers, Iā€™d sooner watch Eastenders.Ā 

4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Expect locally based ones will be allowed in.Ā 

Wonder if the Hungary FA will 'accidentally' not do proper checks and allow some cheeky lads wearing balaclavas in?

7 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Was it only Leeds fans that voted in this then?

I take it you wouldn't want him at Carrow Road then?šŸ˜€

As a ticket holder, I anticipate this match eagerly. The Magical Magyars may not be the favourites, but with 60,000 fans cheering them on, they may ask the same questions from England as they did at the Euros from France and Germany. (Especially as our young talisman Dominik Szoboszlai (RB Leipzig) is back from injury!)Ā Ā While I expect EnglandĀ to win the group, top teams after big tournaments often not on top of their form, so maybe we could pick up a precious point (points?) that could go a long way towards the playoffs. Hoping for an entertaining match, I'll wear red tomorrow. HajrĆ” magyarok!Ā Ā  Ā Ā 

Edited by Budapest Canary
  • Like 1