Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Credit to the board

Fair credit to the board. Those two signings have turned this into a very solid transfer window indeed- perhaps the best I can remember on paper. Bravo Webber two days have totally plugged the gaps. My bad for doubting! 

Don’t know much (anything) about Normann but hope he is the CDM we are crying out for. Kabak is a huge signing for us- marquee. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Credit to you for the acknowledgement. But it's maybe a life lesson not to judge the painting before it's been hung on the wall. 

• Like 3

Agreed, but at the same time, the aim is to be competitive. Let's not go overboard thinking they're going to gel right away (that's not going to happen with so many players, so Farke is surely going to introduce them in ones and twos), or that we're suddenly going to send lower-Premier sides like Burnley and Palace home with a 3-0 tonking.

But in theory we've certainly plugged the gaps and given Farke more options.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Credit to you for the acknowledgement. But it's maybe a life lesson not to judge the painting before it's been hung on the wall. 

Fake or Fortune

39 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Not sure that is fair. I could point to numerous windows when our club didn’t plug an obvious gap- so it’s not as if past history was on the side of those who were optimistic 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Not sure that is fair. I could point to numerous windows when our club didn’t plug an obvious gap- so it’s not as if past history was on the side of those who were optimistic 

It's almost as though Webber didn't spend the whole summer asking fans to judge them at the end of the window.

Now that you have judged them in a positive light at the end of the window, is it fair to say that our recruitment team deserved more faith?

17 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Live in the present.

45 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Fake or Fortune

Opinion will vary from one week to the next.

I think 2 years ago they wanted to reward the boys for getting us to the prem by not over hauling the squad. Now they've realised this is where we need and want to be. Give it time and all will come together hopefully. 

29 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

I think 2 years ago they wanted to reward the boys for getting us to the prem by not over hauling the squad. Now they've realised this is where we need and want to be. Give it time and all will come together hopefully. 

More the case that 2 years ago Farke way exceeded expectations by getting promoted with no money, using cheap foreign imports and bringing through prospects. This time we have much firmer foundations, it looks like long term planning. This was funded in part by the Buendia money, does that mean the criticism will go away on that?

• Like 2

I think it shows the value of biding your time and being patient so that rather than piling in and getting a sub standard player you can actually achieve the players you want. The cogs of the transfer window become looser and turn easier as Aug 31st gets nearer.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Yeah, this sums it up for me. There really doesn't appear to be much 'filler' in this squad now. The only possible weakness I can see is the lack of a recognised goalscorer should Pukki lose form or pick up an injury. Either Idah or Sargent would need to make a pretty huge step up in that eventuality. Idah's lack of minutes as a first-team player has been well-documented, and Sargent managed 11 goals in 70 Bundesliga appearances (it's clear he offers a range of attributes including fantastic work-rate, but lethal finishing doesn't appear to be among them).

Edited by Feedthewolf

2 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

As a wise Jedi master once said, it is better to have regrets about things that you did rather than things that you didn’t.

Whatever happens, we’re giving it a bloody good go 😀

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

As a wise Jedi master once said, it is better to have regrets about things that you did rather than things that you didn’t.

Whatever happens, we’re giving it a bloody good go 😀

I regret my trip to the pub last night. Probably more than I would have regretted declining my friends offer of "just a quick pint".

• Haha 1

Until the last two signings we were looking certs for another relegation, now there is some hope.  But after previous PL poor excursions needed to give it a real go.  Another fiasco and Delia would have many questions to answer "where are NCFc going" a yoyo existence which when it comes to an end will see the frailty of her plans for the club.

I currently regret the over zealous addition of extra scotch bonnet chillies, garlic and onion and kidney beans to my 'hotter than the sun' home made chilli I created, cooked and heartily consumed last night.....and all washed down with 6 cans of Guinness.....Sounded like a flapping an' feeding frenzy of a flock of seagulls fighting over a drunkenly discarded bag o' chips in my toilet pan earlier this morning.....Had to get my wire-brush from my tool box to remove the more stubborn pebble-dash speckles an' freckles from said pan..... 

Anyway please excuse my descriptive digression....

Yes I'm pleasantly surprised and quite pleased that Webbo has hopefully acquired the necessary ammo for Daniel to strengthen our squad for the colossal campaign to be competitive in the big league....Oh and also a thank you to the board who've backed him with their erm.....backing......

I just wish to see us perform well and give a good account of ourselves and that we survive and actually survive comfortably....Also to hopefully cork a snook to all those pretentious punters and sniggerin' snooty club supporters of the BIG teams who think it'll be a deja vu downward spiral in the Premier league for them chippy chirpy canaries again.....Well Fug 'em!.....OTBC.....

Anyway I gotta go.....I need to go to Morrison's to get some more toilet duck and air freshener.....and then to Screwfix to purchase a new wire brush.....Laters!.... 😉 

• Haha 1

I know our relative pauperism compared to other PL clubs has been discussed a lot, but, I was just looking on wiki's list of football club owners (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_owners_of_English_football_clubs) and in the top four divisions there is only one listed worth less than Delia & MWJ! I realise that there are a fair few not listed, but it is still quite shocking and really brings home how well we are doing in general and especially this window.

We'll have to wait until the end of the season to see if it is a success, but what I will say is well done to Webber et. al for giving it a good go, working hard to bring in great value for money targets whilst also getting in those with huge potential that plugged the holes in the squad we needed to address. Makes being sitting ducks 2 years ago worth it now, saving the money for when we can really give it a proper go. Let's hope the players deliver on the pitch and get us what we want!

Credit to the Board for:

• balancing the books,
  • meeting the ORIGINAL transfer budget yet
  • still able to keep most of Emi's transfer fee in reserve. 

Remember Gibson & Giannoulis fees were always said to be from last year's budget, not this. 

Cheap, cheap, said the Canary. 

Room to splash the cash in January mind .........

Before anyone bites, I think the Board are doing a fine job, but as an accountant I can see they've pulled off a blinding smoke and mirrors trick here.

For pure excitement, enjoyment the yo-yo experience has been for the best for fans, I’m as dull as dish water and have always hankered for mid table; but I doubt I’ll get it 

Webber has Spent well Now it is up to Farke to prove he can do it at PL level

is he The best Championship manager ever Or can he do it itn the PL ?

i hope he Shows what he can do in the PL with a stronger squad he deserves it 

Buendia, like Maddison, is a great player, but his departure shocked us but it paid for the arrival of Rashica, Gunn, Lees-Melou, Sargent, Gilmour and Tzolis as well as the formation and tactical tweaks we've seen so far, just as Madders' departure enabled the arrival of Buendia, Pukki, McLean, Rhodes and Krul and the movement from a 14th place finish to finish Champions.

Our net outlay in effect is the cost of the loan deals for Williams, Normann and Kabak. The Gibson and Giannoulis deals came out of last year's budget. Much as I admired Emi, the 6 players who have come in from the money his departure provided and the last 3 loan deals have given us a real chance of survival without a huge financial gamble. Even wages of those 9 have been balanced by the departure of 12 players. That is a master-class in transfer dealings by Webber.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Yelloow Since 72 said:

Buendia, like Maddison, is a great player, but his departure shocked us but it paid for the arrival of Rashica, Gunn, Lees-Melou, Sargent, Gilmour and Tzolis as well as the formation and tactical tweaks we've seen so far, just as Madders' departure enabled the arrival of Buendia, Pukki, McLean, Rhodes and Krul and the movement from a 14th place finish to finish Champions.

Our net outlay in effect is the cost of the loan deals for Williams, Normann and Kabak. The Gibson and Giannoulis deals came out of last year's budget. Much as I admired Emi, the 6 players who have come in from the money his departure provided and the last 3 loan deals have given us a real chance of survival without a huge financial gamble. Even wages of those 9 have been balanced by the departure of 12 players. That is a master-class in transfer dealings by Webber.

Good to see you concur with what I said, classic smoke and mirrors stuff.  All the speculation of what the transfer budget this season was three months ago, and we've hardly spent any cash at all.  (NB: assumes that the discarded & departed four's - Drmic, Leitner, Trybull & Klose - lack of transfer fee and their salaries was also budgeted for).  Marvellous work. 

8 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Good to see you concur with what I said, classic smoke and mirrors stuff.  All the speculation of what the transfer budget this season was three months ago, and we've hardly spent any cash at all.  (NB: assumes that the discarded & departed four's - Drmic, Leitner, Trybull & Klose - lack of transfer fee and their salaries was also budgeted for).  Marvellous work. 

We've committed to wages on 6 high end players over 1. Probably averaging £25,000 pw * 6 = £150,000 pw * 52 = 7.8 mill just in wages for the first year.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

We've committed to wages on 6 high end players over 1. Probably averaging £25,000 pw * 6 = £150,000 pw * 52 = 7.8 mill just in wages for the first year.

What about the wages of the other 11 players who have left or gone out on loan? Our wages won't have increased dramatically overall.

6 minutes ago, Yelloow Since 72 said:

What about the wages of the other 11 players who have left or gone out on loan? Our wages won't have increased dramatically overall.

Compared to when? Compared to last season they'll probably be 2.5x - our wages are always high in the prem. Circa 80 million, maybe more.

12 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

I currently regret the over zealous addition of extra scotch bonnet chillies, garlic and onion and kidney beans to my 'hotter than the sun' home made chilli I created, cooked and heartily consumed last night.....and all washed down with 6 cans of Guinness.....Sounded like a flapping an' feeding frenzy of a flock of seagulls fighting over a drunkenly discarded bag o' chips in my toilet pan earlier this morning.....Had to get my wire-brush from my tool box to remove the more stubborn pebble-dash speckles an' freckles from said pan..... 

Anyway please excuse my descriptive digression....

Yes I'm pleasantly surprised and quite pleased that Webbo has hopefully acquired the necessary ammo for Daniel to strengthen our squad for the colossal campaign to be competitive in the big league....Oh and also a thank you to the board who've backed him with their erm.....backing......

I just wish to see us perform well and give a good account of ourselves and that we survive and actually survive comfortably....Also to hopefully cork a snook to all those pretentious punters and sniggerin' snooty club supporters of the BIG teams who think it'll be a deja vu downward spiral in the Premier league for them chippy chirpy canaries again.....Well Fug 'em!.....OTBC.....

Anyway I gotta go.....I need to go to Morrison's to get some more toilet duck and air freshener.....and then to Screwfix to purchase a new wire brush.....Laters!.... 😉 

Sorry to hear about the violent bowel movement this morning. I remember winning a hot curry eating contest at a wedding in Devon decades ago. Unfortunately I put the hotel toilet out of action pre breakfast. Try milk next time to calm the explosions. 

looking at some very average players moving for between £15m and £25m it's actually unbelievable just what great business we've done. If Farke can get them playing how their potential suggests then this season could define the start of a real era of success for the club. Really hope it all comes off!

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Sorry to hear about the violent bowel movement this morning. I remember winning a hot curry eating contest at a wedding in Devon decades ago. Unfortunately I put the hotel toilet out of action pre breakfast. Try milk next time to calm the explosions. 

To drink or put down the toilet?

Just now, Nuff Said said:

To drink or put down the toilet?

While eating the hot food, boiling kettle for the other then any bleach liquid of your choice.