Hope the club have done their homework on this fella,as he looks and sounds a right cocky sod!!!....just what we need!! He'll upset a certain Mr.Cantwell for certain as he's a lot prettier!!!!🤣🤣🔰🔰

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Hope the club have done their homework on this fella,as he looks and sounds a right cocky sod!!!....just what we need!! He'll upset a certain Mr.Cantwell for certain as he's a lot prettier!!!!🤣🤣🔰🔰

Some of those traits have certainly not hurt some of the better footballers careers, MBL, and if he is indeed a bit of a cocky such and such, then it might be what we need amongst all the nice guys. But I think we’ve learned now that if there’s any question marks on a players character and how that could affect the team, then they won’t get a 3 year deal off the bat. Might be partly why we went down the loan route, but that said, I don’t think we should character assassinate him yet just because he has a bit of self esteem. I actually think a CDM should have a bit of swagger where he backs himself every time, and refuses to accept defeat.

Abit of attitude is just what we need.

Lose that 'nicey nice' tag and get under people's skin.

Get the crowd engaged and get some points!

Edited by CDMullins

We've now got Normann, Tzolis, Sargent and William's who have a bit about them physically and have a bit of strength and aggression. I'd like to see more players like that in the squad to be honest but I can't complain because the club has obviously thought about this issue and addressed it. Before we pretty much only had Buendia and Skipp who would put themselves about. 

1 hour ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

We've now got Normann, Tzolis, Sargent and William's who have a bit about them physically and have a bit of strength and aggression. I'd like to see more players like that in the squad to be honest but I can't complain because the club has obviously thought about this issue and addressed it. Before we pretty much only had Buendia and Skipp who would put themselves about. 

I’d include Idah in that group

41 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

file.jpg

Is that Cantwell trying to "Out Pretty" Normann?

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Think you've forgotten Hanley. He's the nastiest player we've got by quite a distance. Kenny doesn't mind a tackle either.

8 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Think you've forgotten Hanley. He's the nastiest player we've got by quite a distance. Kenny doesn't mind a tackle either.

I was thinking that. Hanley definitely looks like he'd fancy himself in a brawl somewhere. Got an inkling Rashica could be another of those "small, but angry" ones knocking around - speaking from experience.

24 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Big, strong, committed but not fiery imo. He tends to play with a real composure for a CB but I doubt forwards have sleepless night about coming up against him because he doesn't really foul or leave things on players, intentionally anyway. 

It's hard to describe what I mean here, it's more of an attitude and intensity than something easily and clearly observable. You can just tell sometimes when a player plays on the edge a bit or not and I wouldn't put Hanley in that camp. McLean tries and we all love him for it but at this level he's just not very strong or a particularly good tackler, I do like how he gets in the referee's ear though and when one of our young players gets badly fouled he's usually one of the first to square up to opposition players

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

3 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Big, strong, committed but not fiery imo. He tends to play with a real composure for a CB but I doubt forwards have sleepless night about coming up against him because he doesn't really foul or leave things on players, intentionally anyway. 

It's hard to describe what I mean here, it's more of an attitude and intensity than something easily and clearly observable. You can just tell sometimes when a player plays on the edge a bit or not and I wouldn't put Hanley in that camp. McLean tries and we all love him for it but at this level he's just not very strong or a particularly good tackler, I do like how he gets in the referee's ear though and when one of our young players gets badly fouled he's usually one of the first to square up to opposition players

Definitely see what you mean, you mean feisty. McLean does have that about him.

We needed players with a bit more bite; not red-card stuff, but applied strength backed by a good dollop of high-quality self belief. Looking at video clips, Normann plays fairly within the rules and in a way that others simply bounce off him. Otherwise they chop him with spectacular results. He looks feisty & I think that's great.  His presence in the side may well up level some of the existing players too. 

44 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

You need to watch more closely. There's a limit to how much you can get away with nowadays, and Grant probably did it more in the Championship because he could get away with it more - but he's always sneakily leaving a bit on opposition players. Don't know if you've ever watched them, but the club sometimes put out interviews with our players on our Youtube channel. One of the questions they ask is 'which of your team mates would you least like to play against?' The answer is always Hanley! There's a reason for that. 

2 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

You need to watch more closely. There's a limit to how much you can get away with nowadays, and Grant probably did it more in the Championship because he could get away with it more - but he's always sneakily leaving a bit on opposition players. Don't know if you've ever watched them, but the club sometimes put out interviews with our players on our Youtube channel. One of the questions they ask is 'which of your team mates would you least like to play against?' The answer is always Hanley! There's a reason for that. 

Fair enough, I've just never noticed it before. I'm the typical type of fan who watches attacking players closely but maybe drift off a bit when we have to defend, particularly if I'm watching it on TV. He must do it very subtly then, I've seen about 10 games live since we signed Hanley and watched most of the rest on tv and I've never seen him play dirty, I've never seen opposition attackers get properly wound up playing him either which is usually a good sign of a nasty defender to play against. 

I always remember the thoroughly hacked off and defeated look opposition defenders used to have after playing against Grant Holt, even John Terry got properly wound up by the treatment he got. I'd quite like us to have a defender like that, not pushing people over in the box and stuff, just a player who will deliberately crash into a player when winning a ball or one who makes opposition attackers feel weak when all the tussling and grappling is going on for set pieces

3 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Malky Mackay was an expert at this side of the game. An underrated player in my opinion.

Really do like G Hanley in our team though.

Though it isn't about the physical encounters, this tactical analysis of Normann gives a reasonable view of his playing style:

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/article/mathias-normann-2020-21-scout-report-tactical-analysis-tactics

The Norwegian commentator in David Freezer's interview thought he is closer to Skipp than Tettey, but a better passer than Oli with the ability to play telling through balls or accurate passes over the top to bypass the press. If that's the case and his defending is as good as Skipp's, we could have quite a player who may well be the key to our season.

Has Aarons ever smiled? He's got some fight for sure. Think the club put out one of their fun videos last year and Hugill referenced Max as being "angry". 

55 minutes ago, BaltimoreBird said:

Has Aarons ever smiled? He's got some fight for sure. Think the club put out one of their fun videos last year and Hugill referenced Max as being "angry". 

I think it’s been said in several interviews with players that Max is always complaining, not sure that’s the same as angry.