58 minutes ago, mastoola said:

Idah will never be a top striker in a top league.

Well. That’s that then. 

But then I expect the same was said for Grant Holt. With every promotion we needed an upgrade..

The club and coaching team have invested a lot in Idah. They see something. They’re also experts in the field and it’s their job to see it. I’m not sure he’ll play for Man City or whatever, but, he has strength, pace and instinct. He’s raw but there’s a reason we’ve always kept him at home and the fact he’s a starter for Ireland shouldn’t be dismissed. Ok, Ireland aren’t in a great place but the experience at that level will do him no end of good. He might not start for us regularly but I reckon we’ll see him as an option from the bench plenty. I also think that if the circumstances came about, Farke wouldn’t worry about him going from the get go. 

I was impressed with his confidence and physicality in his cameo against Liverpool, he trusted his strength against seasoned world class defenders and had enough about him to cause them (relative) concern. Same against Leicester. I think he believes he belongs at this level and while there is always the option of a high level loan, I think we’d have to demand guaranteed game time for it to be of any benefit to us, and we might just think he’ll develop better getting regular minutes at this level. Couple of goals and he might just kick on. 

(I’m not saying he’s the next Lukaku, but we’ve paid particular attention to nurturing this one. The Webber/Farke judgment of youth tells me we should have a bit of faith) 

1 hour ago, mastoola said:

Idah will never be a top striker in a top league.

Can you kindly elaborate why ?

He's hardly had any game time for us, most of his appearances have been 5 minute cameos at the end of games. He's a different type player to Pukki and probably suits 2 up top . He is a good finisher and has scored important goals for us.

Idah has to bide his time, work hard in training and his chance will come. He just needs to look at Kenny McLean for how things can change - McLean was a long way down the pecking order during the 2018-19 championship season but injuries to Leitner and Vrancic propelled him into the team and he stayed there due to DF appreciating his superior physicality. Players can get dishearten when a "big money" transfer comes in like Sargent but it's early days - Sargent has different qualities but not as good a finisher as Idah - I mean Idah would have done the same damage to Bournemouth if he had played. He needs to stay - too good a player to be loan out.

Having watched Idah play for Ireland multiple times I would say that he's still raw, but he was excellent against the Portuguese . He had Ruben Dias marking him for most of the game and often had to feed off long balls but he played the target man role well.  One of the issues he had before for Ireland was when he played the target man role he had a poor first touch but the ball stuck much better today. I think he's improved alot over the last few months.

I think he's suited to the prem too because he's strong enough and confident enough to handle players like Dias who often physically bully weaker players. He could work well playing off someone with pace and energy like Sargent. If Pukki continues to start the two could be an option off the bench if Farke wants to change to a front two. Connolly would be a perfect fit in an Irish context if he didn't turn to jelly whenever he touches the ball.

Also Omo looked good too. First cap but he was very composed.

Edited by Irishman123
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The two top Irish youngsters from two years ago were Idah and Troy Parrot of Spurs. Everyone was convinced Parrott would be the one, yet in developmental terms since then Idah has left him behind. Even 10 minute cameos in the PL will help him progress - he is training every day with 15 other internationals now, and standards are the highest they have ever been at Norwich City.

Farke and his coaches are not likely to keep someone in the first team squad who does not cut the mustard - in this of all seasons, given that if we don't stay up Farke's career will probably never recover.

I think all three of our strikers will play a part - wouldn't be surprised to see Idah against Arsenal. He would give Ben White some physical problems.

• Like 1

Ive thought Idah looks noticeably sharper and stronger during his appearances for us so far this season (mainly in pre season admittedly). 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Still think he should have been loaned out. Imagine him as a regular starter at a top six league one club. Would rip it up no doubt, goal after goal

If you think Idah is going to go to a League One club it's right up there with your suggestion that Soto was the second best striker on our books. Batsh*t crazy. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

If you think Idah is going to go to a League One club it's right up there with your suggestion that Soto was the second best striker on our books. Batsh*t crazy. 

Why not? Guaranteed game time as a regular starter and would probably be on of the divisons top scorers and help any team he's in push for promotion. Sounds good to me.

Would certainly like to see Idah more, but realistically, unless Pukki is deemed unfit or off form, he is unlikely to start. Imo a lot depends on how he performs for Ireland in the next two games - if he scores and looks up for it, then at least he is putting pressure on Pukki for his place.

Idah now has 20 appearances for Ireland, 12 in the U21s with 5 goals and 8 in the senior squad. That was quite a jump but he's handled it well and will keep getting starts there. I agree that we need 3 strikers and I suspect that his progress is why Hugill was the one to go out on loan. At 20, he just needs to bide his time as injuries will happen.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Why not? Guaranteed game time as a regular starter and would probably be on of the divisons top scorers and help any team he's in push for promotion. Sounds good to me.

Well I said before the transfer window closed that I would be very surprised if he went out on loan at all and I was correct about that. Why on earth would you want to send him out on loan to play at a level far below what he's capable of? Players like Sinani and McCallum are playing in the Championship at the moment. If you'd said send him to a top 6 Championship club I would have still been against it, but could have seen your argument. 

I can't understand the negativity towards Idah, he always looked a fantastic prospect and recently has developed so well that he's able to keep more senior players out of the national side at the age of 20. We should all be very proud of him and not take any notice of what Ian Wright says. 

I would prefer him to Sargent in the striker position. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Well I said before the transfer window closed that I would be very surprised if he went out on loan at all and I was correct about that. Why on earth would you want to send him out on loan to play at a level far below what he's capable of? Players like Sinani and McCallum are playing in the Championship at the moment. If you'd said send him to a top 6 Championship club I would have still been against it, but could have seen your argument. 

can send him on loan in January to a top6 side in January, then when they are promoted demand 30m for him. 😝

Edited by Baracouda

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Would certainly like to see Idah more, but realistically, unless Pukki is deemed unfit or off form, he is unlikely to start. Imo a lot depends on how he performs for Ireland in the next two games - if he scores and looks up for it, then at least he is putting pressure on Pukki for his place.

There's an argument that it will take Pukki getting injured for either one of Idah or Sargent to break through.

4 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

There's an argument that it will take Pukki getting injured for either one of Idah or Sargent to break through.

Long as we don't get more 'we need to play a full 90 at a 4-4-2!'

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Because it would leave us with only two strikers in Pukki and Sargent. Are you really suggesting we have a repeat of last season when we had the likes of Stiepermann upfront?

I think we need to use Idah in certain games and that we need to think about how we change our style occasionally. We will not steam roller teams in this division and having a quick athletic, strong target man could really work if we want to counter attack and get teams turning. We have plenty of pace now. Pukki is a brilliant player but in some games coming on against tiring defences may work to our advantage. There is no way he can start every game with the required level of intensity. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Still think he should have been loaned out. Imagine him as a regular starter at a top six league one club. Would rip it up no doubt, goal after goal

And leave us with only 2 strikers ?   That’s crazy

10 hours ago, sgncfc said:

The two top Irish youngsters from two years ago were Idah and Troy Parrot of Spurs. Everyone was convinced Parrott would be the one, yet in developmental terms since then Idah has left him behind. Even 10 minute cameos in the PL will help him progress - he is training every day with 15 other internationals now, and standards are the highest they have ever been at Norwich City.

Farke and his coaches are not likely to keep someone in the first team squad who does not cut the mustard - in this of all seasons, given that if we don't stay up Farke's career will probably never recover.

I think all three of our strikers will play a part - wouldn't be surprised to see Idah against Arsenal. He would give Ben White some physical problems.

Parrott is a full year younger.

22 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

That sounds a bit like Teemu is an obstacle for Idah and Sargent to break through!

I'd expect nothing less from a striker who scored 26 last season in 41 games and had 14 goal involvements in 36 matches last time in PL.

23 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Because it would leave us with only two strikers in Pukki and Sargent. Are you really suggesting we have a repeat of last season when we had the likes of Stiepermann upfront?

Your main problem here is assuming CC thinks through half of what they post.

23 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I don't think that is a sensible argument at all. Last time out we didn't really have much choice. We saw that Idah was far too raw for the Premier League in his start and Drmic had plenty of opportunity but struggled really. We relied too heavily upon Pukki.

This time round we have two genuine options in Sargent and Idah. Farke and Webber aren't giving any time for sentiment so I don't think Pukki will be given any special treatment. If anything I expect that he will have been told that he has real pressure now, Idah is pushing through and we haven't spent £8m on Sargent to make our bench look handsome.

However, you don't just unceremoniously dump a player out of the starting line up after years of service where he has broken scoring records. Pukki isn't rubbish, Sargent and Idah haven't suddenly become better than him. Lets leave that decision to the head coach.

League One is below Idah's level - especially when we know he is better than half of the strikers we came up against last season at least.