Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Are there now no excuses to be made if we are relegated?

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

That’s me told . I think I’ll watch the new episode of Vera .

Imagine being “completely and utterly wrong “ . I’m not sure I’ll ever get over such castigation. 
 

You know you are in trouble when someone says “with respect” . 

🙂 I watched a few episodes of Vera once - strangely decent I thought.

Our full backs getting caught upfield when we lost possession was certainly a recurring problem last time round in the Premier League, but I really don't think it was an issue on Saturday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

So, here we are. Historic times here at Norwich as we more than double our all time record transfer window spendings. We have bought in many new players, young hungry and talented to some with more experience. Hell, as has been shown we have pretty much brought in an entire new starting 11.

 

And then on the other hand you have Webber talking like he has (and dare I use this word?) ambition. Talking about how he sees us fighting to stay in the Prem for at least three or more seasons. Then you have Farke talking about how he would not take finishing 17th this season, that fnishing 17th would be a failure in his eyes. And you have the players, such as Ben Gibson talking how sure they are that we will survive and how they will be doing all they can to stay in the Prem. You have the new recruits such as Normann talking about how he's only here to win and not to lose. Once again.. Sounds like a lot of ambition to me. I know, I know such a dirty word around these parts.

 

And so there it s. Record all time spending on players. Throwing around the wonga, the dosh and dough. Coughing up big time, all while speaking about our plans and hopes. It's fair to say we have done all that we can, right? People were complaning about how this was a good window but it would be perfect if we brought in a new centreback and defensive midfielder and so Webber above heard you and said 'let there be light'.

 

So.. If it fails. If we flop. If we fall apart and get relegated will there be no excuses to be made? No more 'It was all a free hit we never had any plans to stay in the divison and it's not like we bought any players in anyway or spent any money'?

You haven't  considered  the possibility  that we may get relegated  without it all " falling apart"..... what would your hyperbolic  reaction be if we go  down on gd with 42 pts?

There may be reasons, but  no excuses. 

Try holding your pi$$ for a few games eh.

Its all just another step on the journey. 

 

Edited by wcorkcanary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great window and I agree, no excuses at all. I also agree that if Farke can’t get a tune out of this group then he would need replaced as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm now feeling quite optimistic concerning our chances of survival this season, and we're fortunate this season is still in its infancy. This will hopefully allow the required team building and game time and including the training for the new additions of our squad to form an understanding, build a collective camaraderie and eventually 'gel' on the pitch......I'd have obviously preferred for all the current squad (as it now stands) to have had a productive pre-season together, but unfortunately it was an unmitigated disaster due to no real fault of the club's..... 

Here's hoping......OTBC..... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fulham spent over a hundred million and got relegated. Villa did the same and survived by a single point. Sadly, money doesn't always equal survival.

Farke has at least got more options this season. We will see what he makes of them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

🙂 I watched a few episodes of Vera once - strangely decent I thought.

Our full backs getting caught upfield when we lost possession was certainly a recurring problem last time round in the Premier League, but I really don't think it was an issue on Saturday. 

What has been more of an issue (whether it’s due to fullbacks upfield or midfielders) has been that when we lose possession the opposition have a free run on our centre backs with either equivalent numbers or an overlap.

that’s what we need to sort (partly by not giving the ball away as much) and I hope that’s what Normann and Gilmour can do in combo. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think people need to be a bit realistic.

We've had a fantastic window on paper. We've strengthened in pretty much every area.

But this is the Premier League. Compare our squad to the other 19 teams and we are probably weaker than 14 or 15 and on a par with the rest. Farke will still need to get more out of this squad than their individual ability and have us overperforming for most of the season for us to stay up.

We do however,  have a much better chance than two years ago.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I think people need to be a bit realistic.

We've had a fantastic window on paper. We've strengthened in pretty much every area.

But this is the Premier League. Compare our squad to the other 19 teams and we are probably weaker than 14 or 15 and on a par with the rest. Farke will still need to get more out of this squad than their individual ability and have us overperforming for most of the season for us to stay up.

We do however,  have a much better chance than two years ago.

Even with Kabak this is still the case, unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Even with Kabak this is still the case, unfortunately.

Which teams are we on par with Hoggy? I listed 5/6 earlier but wondered who yours are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Which teams are we on par with Hoggy? I listed 5/6 earlier but wondered who yours are. 

Uhh, I'd say Brentford, Watford, Burnley, perhaps Southampton / Palace?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming we don’t have another injury crisis I’m not sure there are any excuses for us not at least competing this time. Surviving though is always tough and this team may not do it, but there’s no excuse for whimpering out of the league like last time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely no excuse in my opinion now, look at what Lambert did with the squad he had and compare that to what Farke has now and there is no reason why we cannot avoid the drop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Uhh, I'd say Brentford, Watford, Burnley, perhaps Southampton / Palace?

Great Scott! You’ve copied and pasted my pics. I did think you’d make room for Leeds too though 😉

Edited by Midlands Yellow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We've a squad of unproven potentials, in regards to 'excuses' they need to grow - that's just a fact, not only have they got to acclimatise to the English game, but they have to work and reach on fulfilling their personal potential AND learning to play within our system. 

These new signings won't be up to speed until at least 3-4 weeks, presuming they come straight in the squad. So, We're still very much playing catch-up at this point.

I really don't see how people are seeing all these incomings as anything else, people saying there's no excuses are therefore expecting new players expected to hit the ground running?  That's crazy when they're learning on the job.

If we were to go down, people are are also saying that we just rip all these potentials up and Farke/Webber leave?  That's one of the maddest things I've ever read and makes absolutely no sense.

It's only second half of the season that we'll know if we're capable or not.  If at that point we've failed to register enough points on the board in the first half of the season (i.e. now), surely it's a valid excuse that we needed time to progress a brand new squad?  The starting 11 on the final day could be completely devoid of our Championship winning players - there won't be many teams having such a drastic transition.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Surfer said:

Bless you Uncle Fred. Your cynicism shines through and it’s a joy to read. Keep it up 👍 

I bet he's the uncle no-one wants to sit on a table with at family weddings 😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s the high of ambition to be a self funding club. Anyone can buy success. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are clearly no excuses in fact being one of the biggest spenders in Europe we should be top half, anything less is a failure 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

We have added more quality than those teams. The winning does need to commence sooner rather than later though. 

Well some of them had more quality to begin with.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Great Scott! You’ve copied and pasted my pics. I did think you’d make room for Leeds too though 😉

Leeds is tempting,  really hoping they struggle this season.

 

1 hour ago, Ken Hairy said:

Surely Newcastle too? 

Potentially, but Callum Wilson is a proven goalscorer at this level. Lascelles is a proven defender at this level, Ritchie proven too. But you're right, beyond that not much in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Leeds is tempting,  really hoping they struggle this season.

Potentially, but Callum Wilson is a proven goalscorer at this level. Lascelles is a proven defender at this level, Ritchie proven too. But you're right, beyond that not much in it.

Allan Saint-Maximum is clearly their best player though?

And no mention of Joe Willock? 8 goals in 14 for them last season, and just signed for £25m?

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Allan Saint-Maximum is clearly their best player though?

He is their most exciting player to watch but not their most effective. Last couple seasons he's only delivering 3 goals, 4 assists a season. Cantwell outperformed that in his only season so far at this level.

Edited by hogesar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's too early to say right now. I think some of you are seriously underestimating the opposition as well. We have added quality, they've generally already got more of it and are more experienced at this level. I think on our day we're better than Watford and Brentford, I'm not sure we can say the same about any other clubs though. Even average teams like Palace and Newcastle have players like Zaha and Saint-Maximin who are far better and more effective than anyone in our squad like it or not. You could probably say McNeil at Burnley and Sarr at Watford are better than what we have as well on early evidence.

If I was to make a guess I'd say about 35 points. Whether that's enough to stay up I don't know. There are no weak teams in this league so it's hard to see where we're going to rack up loads of points. Then factor in VAR, the inevitable injury crisis we always get and how our style of play doesn't do us a lot of favors sometimes and I can only see this being a really hard year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

It's too early to say right now. I think some of you are seriously underestimating the opposition as well. We have added quality, they've generally already got more of it and are more experienced at this level. I think on our day we're better than Watford and Brentford, I'm not sure we can say the same about any other clubs though. Even average teams like Palace and Newcastle have players like Zaha and Saint-Maximin who are far better and more effective than anyone in our squad like it or not. You could probably say McNeil at Burnley and Sarr at Watford are better than what we have as well on early evidence.

If I was to make a guess I'd say about 35 points. Whether that's enough to stay up I don't know. There are no weak teams in this league so it's hard to see where we're going to rack up loads of points. Then factor in VAR, the inevitable injury crisis we always get and how our style of play doesn't do us a lot of favors sometimes and I can only see this being a really hard year. 

In general I agree with the underestimating; but disagree that Saint-Maximin is 'far' better and 'more effective' than anyone in our squad. The best he's done for Newcastle in a season is 3 goals, 4 assists. Cantwell managed 6 goals and 2 assists in his only Premier League season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Norwich were clearly competitive against Leicester  with the squad they have now they should be competitive most games. Whether that turns into points is another question.

After all the advances over the last 4 years those of you who have said this is make or break for Daniel farke can "Farke Off".

Looking forward to a fine season in a fine city.

That is if they let me 0n the ferry this afternoon

Goodbye.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, hogesar said:

In general I agree with the underestimating; but disagree that Saint-Maximin is 'far' better and 'more effective' than anyone in our squad. The best he's done for Newcastle in a season is 3 goals, 4 assists. Cantwell managed 6 goals and 2 assists in his only Premier League season.

Ah, I meant in terms of ball carrying/starting counter attacks/dragging opposition players out of space etc. Your comment about his final output is fair though. The main point I was making is that even a team like Newcastle have a what I would value as a potentially 50m pound player on their books and thats the level we have to operate at this year

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Perm 3 from Watford, Palace, Southampton, Brentford, Newcastle and Burnley. Probably a couple of others too. 

So if we beat those teams Home and Away, we end up with 36 points - not enough to stay up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

So if we beat those teams Home and Away, we end up with 36 points - not enough to stay up.

We won’t take 6 points of them all but 3/4 would help the cause. Norwich will be allowed to take points from any of the others too if good enough. Have a look at the 19/20 results, we were crap against the crap. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...