Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Are there now no excuses to be made if we are relegated?

So, here we are. Historic times here at Norwich as we more than double our all time record transfer window spendings. We have bought in many new players, young hungry and talented to some with more experience. Hell, as has been shown we have pretty much brought in an entire new starting 11.

And then on the other hand you have Webber talking like he has (and dare I use this word?) ambition. Talking about how he sees us fighting to stay in the Prem for at least three or more seasons. Then you have Farke talking about how he would not take finishing 17th this season, that fnishing 17th would be a failure in his eyes. And you have the players, such as Ben Gibson talking how sure they are that we will survive and how they will be doing all they can to stay in the Prem. You have the new recruits such as Normann talking about how he's only here to win and not to lose. Once again.. Sounds like a lot of ambition to me. I know, I know such a dirty word around these parts.

And so there it s. Record all time spending on players. Throwing around the wonga, the dosh and dough. Coughing up big time, all while speaking about our plans and hopes. It's fair to say we have done all that we can, right? People were complaning about how this was a good window but it would be perfect if we brought in a new centreback and defensive midfielder and so Webber above heard you and said 'let there be light'.

So.. If it fails. If we flop. If we fall apart and get relegated will there be no excuses to be made? No more 'It was all a free hit we never had any plans to stay in the divison and it's not like we bought any players in anyway or spent any money'?

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

It means we gave it a proper go. We may stay up, we may fall short. But we won't be wondering why.

It's now up to Farke and his players.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

It means we gave it a proper go. We may stay up, we may fall short. But we won't be wondering why.

It's now up to Farke and his players.

Totally agree. Spotlight must now focus on Farke. No more 'get out of jail cards' like 'no crowds in stadiums', 'no / poor recruitment', 'couldn't afford to spend' etc. etc. IF results / performances don't pick up (and soon) then we simply cannot afford to just keep saying..............'he's got a job here for as long as he wants'

As i see it, we have given ourselves every chance of staying up,  whilst avoiding contacts loads we can't afford and the need for a complete fire sale should we go down. 

This was the best it was going to be. Im really happy. 

• Like 1

Why do we need to blame anyone? It’s just a game and there are always winners and losers. 

Edited by astro
  • Like 5

Well it’s the question that will always be asked of any relegated team. But yes, I’d say the argument from a fan/media perspective thar ‘Norwich went down because they never sign anyone can be put to bed’. But as will all transfers, we could look back and say they ultimately didn’t work or weren’t good enough despite reputation, but that’s the risk of any transfer for any club.

Personally the last 24 hours have transformed this window from, quite good but still showing we are having to take some risks to a really good window where we appear to have beaten ‘bigger’ teams to the signings of Normann and Kabak.

Now it’s time to get behind them and try and give them the extra % in the games from our support,

No excuses for Farke. If we still aren't competitive by xmas it will be time for a change. No place for sentimentality this time around.

All the best. Keith Scott.

Spending doesn't guarantee success - you only have to look at Fulham in the last couple of years who have broken the bank and not been rewarded - but - it does help your chances - our squad, even with the losses of Buendia and Skipp, is stronger, more rounded, less focussed on individuals, with better quality and depth.

Luck will still play a part, as will our ability to grind out 50/50 games - at 1-1 on Saturday I truly believe we could have gone on to win it.

We have to trust Farke that, using the tools at his disposal, we are able to plan and execute game plans (with added formation and tactical flexibility) much better than two years ago, while the added quality (Tzolis or Rashica vs Patrick Roberts) will be able to swing games in our favour.

We won't win every game, hell we will almost certainly lose some against our relegation rivals, but I believe that over the remaining 35 games we will have enough to be better than 3 other teams.

Brentford's marking on Saturday was awful. Watford whilst solid might not have enough either. Palace lack a goalscorer. Burnley (maybe) will finally go down after threatening to for years. Brighton's signings in recent years haven't delivered - let's see if their improvements this time do. Southampton have lost Ings and Vestergaard - will they be able to cover for those losses. Wolves have started properly and a bit like us seem to be missing that final pass etc to score.

Keep the faith and enjoy the ride. OTBC

No, no excuses. Webber has done his bit; we've got all we need. 

As others have said, it's down to the players and Farke to perform now. No 21 points this time...

A picture analogy:

Us in 2019/20:

eiCvSg.gif

Us in 2021/22:

Steam Community :: :: YOUR MOVE, CREEP (ROBOCOP)

OTBC

• Like 2

No excuses , the players have been brought in , now it's up to DF ... I'm glad he's been given the chance to prove himself , but now he's got to come up with the goods.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

We will fail because the self funding model Can’t work this will season will be the final nail in its coffin 

??

I think it's fair to say that most of the new players are calculated gambles to some extent (and the club have said as much themselves). Here's hoping a good proportion of them will pan out and perform well at this level. 

If they don't work out, I think it would be reasonable to question the recruitment strategy, but no-one can accuse the board of a lack of ambition this time at least. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

We will fail because the self funding model Can’t work this will season will be the final nail in its coffin 

Bless you Uncle Fred. Your cynicism shines through and it’s a joy to read. Keep it up 👍 

Edited by Surfer

7 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Who are they?

Perm 3 from Watford, Palace, Southampton, Brentford, Newcastle and Burnley. Probably a couple of others too. 

There are no guarantees as we still don't know how the squad compares to others. However, you would have to say it compares well with Brentford's and Watford's and Palace from what I've seen.

I can't fault Farke thus far this season, timely substitutes and selections we would agree with. It's fine margins though and we were so close to getting a well earned point against Leicester.

I desperately want Farke to prove he is a Coach that can compete in this league. It's down to him now to just be better than 3 other teams.

7 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Perm 3 from Watford, Palace, Southampton, Brentford, Newcastle and Burnley. Probably a couple of others too. 

Youre saying we're better than all of them plus others?!

Not sure I'd share that optimism

Just now, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Youre saying we're better than all of them plus others?!

Not sure I'd share that optimism

We have added more quality than those teams. The winning does need to commence sooner rather than later though. 

54 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

What's the agent noun for someone who flips a coin? Take a look in the mirror UF.

It feels like Farke has the tools he needs. Now he needs to prove he can coach a team to be defensively sound at this level. If he can do that I think we have enough quality going forward. 

1 hour ago, Uncle Fred said:

Deary me

1 hour ago, Uncle Fred said:

You really are a tw@ who spouts some utter guff. You want us to fail? F off down the blue sh1t Road 

I have removed this post on the basis that it was “completely and utterly wrong” 

Thats about as wrong as I’ve ever been. 

Sorry everyone . 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

26 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I’m going to sound like a cracked record , but if you keep playing Max and Williams in possession and in advance of the midfield , when we lose the ball it is suicide football. Making the pitch that big gives the opposition too much space to play in , in transition. 
It’s how both Vardy and BigNose Allbrighton had time to finish. 
We have to get used to denying space when out of possession. It’s how Leicester (for example ) won the league under Ranieri . 

I'm sorry GPB, but with respect you are totally and utterly wrong about Leicester's two goals on Saturday. For the first one Williams lost the ball when he was going backwards towards our goal. At the moment he lost it Aarons was in the perfect defensive position further back than Williams. The second Leicester goal came from a Leicester throw in and was absolutely nothing to do with us 'losing the ball when Max and Williams are in advance of the midfield'. It stemmed from Gilmour getting done on the touchline. At the moment he was, both Williams and Aarons were behind him  and in their correct defensive positions.

These things are clearly visible on this video. 0.09 onwards for the first goal and 5.45 onwards for the second goal.

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I'm sorry GPB, but with respect you are totally and utterly wrong about Leicester's two goals on Saturday. For the first one Williams lost the ball when he was going backwards towards our goal. At the moment he lost it Aarons was in the perfect defensive position further back than Williams. The second Leicester goal came from a Leicester throw in and was absolutely nothing to do with us 'losing the ball when Max and Williams are in advance of the midfield'. It stemmed from Gilmour getting done on the touchline. At the moment he was, both Williams and Aarons were behind him  and in their correct defensive positions.

These things are clearly visible on this video. 0.09 onwards for the first goal and 5.45 onwards for the second goal.

That’s me told . I think I’ll watch the new episode of Vera .

Imagine being “completely and utterly wrong “ . I’m not sure I’ll ever get over such castigation. 

You know you are in trouble when someone says “with respect” . 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard