Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

He's Norwegian, a defensive midfielder

Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Stiepermann was 'born to score goals'

Oh yes, the classic! 🙂

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

He'll be a fun watch this season, but can see people being surprised and maybe disappointed that he isn't just holding his position in front of the defence.

Well, this was my suspicion of him on the highlights I'd seen, but watching him tonight vs Netherlands he IS doing just that.  He's far more raw than I was expecting though.  But then, they are up against it and looking to attack on the counter. 

I feel like this guy will be either a revelation or a disaster, no middle ground. Hopefully the former!

19 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Oh yes, the classic! 🙂

Well, this was my suspicion of him on the highlights I'd seen, but watching him tonight vs Netherlands he IS doing just that.  He's far more raw than I was expecting though.  But then, they are up against it and looking to attack on the counter. 

This raises a dumb question I have had in my head for a while and have decided I am not ashamed to ask! I get that, as Bethnal says, Normann has attacking instincts, but what is to stop Farke telling him to rein those in and mainly limit himself to holding position in front of the defence?

4 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I wrote a piece about Normann here;

https://link.medium.com/i9F7yoGBcjb

He’s unlike anything Norwich have had under Farke, and to be honest, I’m not sure I’ve seen many players like him at all before. 

Is he what Football Manager would call a 'segundo volante'?

skipp was breaking up play high up the pitch and would join in attacks

but he did have a good engine

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Is he what Football Manager would call a 'segundo volante'?

barcelona used to play a defencive midfielder behind the front two back in long long times ago

but it takes a unique player to manage that

4 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I wrote a piece about Normann here;

https://link.medium.com/i9F7yoGBcjb

He’s unlike anything Norwich have had under Farke, and to be honest, I’m not sure I’ve seen many players like him at all before. 

excellent bethnal

and to think I didnt follow you on twitter the other day I might change that in a minute or two

3 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Is your piece based around highlights and stats or genuine long-term viewing?

I ask because how/what a player does very much depends on the system around them and in what context you're pulling stats from.  Ball retention and turn over in play could differ very much between Russian, Championship and Prem leagues for all number of reasons.  i.e. would Rashica look like a world beater if his debut was in place of Tzolis vs Bournemouth.

Normann himself has been happy implying that he's a ball winner and likes to get stuck in, But is that because Farke is demanding this from him with the signing?  I mean, I haven't a clue, as not seen him play live.  But it does feel like he's making the point wherever possible. Which is why I'm wondering if you've based this on first hand viewing?

Personally (Based on highlights) I think for Normann, he's going to have to become far more regimented in holding a position for us and those passes which have served him well in Russia are not going to cut it here when he's distributing to players who have less space, and physically weaker in winning a higher/long balls.  You'd imagine he will be paired with Gilmour as the outlet, but I sense a high degree of (good?) arrogance in him, and think he's keen to deliver a more complete game to us (As per your article)... I Just hope it's not our downfall, really.

If you're a defensive mid and caught out of position, a lot of the blame usually defaults to the CB who's overloaded, hence why Skipp was always that very important 'invisible' man, that we still crave! 🙂

Read it.

Interesting details.    Thanks for that!   If anything, it suggests he may not be what we need, that’s a worry.     We were desperate for defensive midfielders particularly to free up our full backs to go forward… who will cover the spaces left behind them?… also concerning is the pass completion stats which are likely to reduce in this league (it’s much more difficult)….  in a team that relies on its passing game, he can’t afford to lose the ball.

If he isn’t that holding player, he’s not the CDM everyone has been clamouring for this past 3 games and throughout the summer…. then we will have no one to cover that role?   Suggests a 4-2-3-1 or 3 at the back!