CDMullins

Did we commit too soon?

With Tzolis hopefully going to have a big impact for us this season, I find the treatment of Dimi in the last week a bit strange. Those two are used to playing together and you would hope will form a strong partnership. 

9 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

I think this one is easy to explain, and I have no doubt Giannoulis is our first choice, no doubt at all.

But we still needed quality cover there, as in any position, and the cover needs to be of said sufficient quality should Dimi get injured or suspended. Cricially, it also needs to be of comparable quality in order to push Dimi to be the number 1. There is zero point in having someone in back up whom is levels below the first choice.

What we’re seeing playing out right now is *exactly* what we want, 100%. Brandon made a mistake on Saturday, as all players do, and now I suspect Giannoulis will be back in for Arsenal.

We need this all over the pitch, and that goes for Gibson too.

I get we need cover, but since when have we spent £7M and £8M on players for cover?

BW will get so game time for sure, I can't see MUFC letting him without that assurance.

And it seems well known we're looking for another CB.

Had we not of committed to the obligation to buy, we'd have had an extra £15M to spend elsewhere, albeit we'd need a cover LB.

9 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

This is a joke thread right?

Since you don't seem to know much about Norwich City let me remind you.

In the case of both Gibson and Gianoullis the deals which allowed us to bring them to the club in the first place stipulated that if we won promotion to the Premier League we would be obligated to buy them at a pre-agreed price. This was extensively reported at the time and many times since. 

Once we had won promotion to the Premier League we were obligated to buy them. 

Thanks for pointing out where my Q came from,

Again, did we commit to that too soon?

8 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

No, its all part of the ' overlapping of quality'. We improve our squad INCREMENTALLY  , each acquisition should be an improvement on the last. With the odd one brought in to provide back up/cover . Have you been paying attention at all this last 4 years?

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

No, its all part of the ' overlapping of quality'. We improve our squad INCREMENTALLY  , each acquisition should be an improvement on the last. With the odd one brought in to provide back up/cover . Have you been paying attention at all this last 4 years?

Do we need to spend £15M to improve our CB and LB cover?

1 minute ago, CDMullins said:

Do we need to spend £15M to improve our CB and LB cover?

Now you have an answer, you have changed the question. But I'll humour you, yes ,we did . Now go and try to pick holes in some other facet of the Club.

• Like 1

I don't think Gibson is fully up to speed yet following his injury, but I think he'll be fine after a few games. 

While Giannoulis had a poor game v Man City, I still think he'll be an important player for us this season. 

48 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

I get we need cover, but since when have we spent £7M and £8M on players for cover?

That we can have £7m to £8m players not playing, is a good thing.  It demonstrates that we are developing as a club and that the finances are in good shape.  A strong squad with strength in depth, with every player of a good value means we stand a better chance of competing overall. 

Edited by lake district canary
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AJ said:

I think people also vastly underestimate just how good Skipp was last year as well

He was my POTS all day long 

38 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

No. 

41 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Nope, but I'd hazard a guess that if we hadnt taken them on, after such a tight season at the back, some people would be having a dig that we'd sat on our hands and let two player that had performed well slip through our fingers ( mixed hand based metaphors there). 

1 hour ago, CDMullins said:

The obligation to buy was part of the original deal that brought them here on loan in the first place.

If that obligation to buy wasn't included in the original deal they would never have played for us at all. 

So if that's really your question - NO we didn't commit too soon. 

1 hour ago, CDMullins said:

No, put simply.  You’re barking up a wrong tree with this one.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

No, put simply.  

Definitely not, getting the side settled after losing the talented short moany temperamental Argentine who could not deliver a good set piece (Whose name escapes me - btw still loved him but he is gone now) and Ollie Skipp, was a big enough challenge.  Chucking in a new left back and left centre half would have been really tough.

Hang on a minute. Before the Man City game, people were saying Giannoulis was their man of the match against Liverpool by a country mile and I even remember people saying they thought he was our best player.

so what? He had one bad 45 minutes against Man City (they all did) and all of a sudden he’s not good enough. 

I mean you read some funny old stuff on this message board in course of a day but surely that takes the fickle fans accolade to a whole new level.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

That we can have £7m to £8m players not playing, is a good thing.  It demonstrates that we are developing as a club and that the finances are in good shape.  A strong squad with strength in depth, with every player of a good value means we stand a better chance of competing overall. 

Not when we're sat on 0 points.

That £15 Million is clearly needed somewhere amongst our first 11.

Though we are gonna have one hell of a championship team, maybe that's the real end goal.

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Now you have an answer, you have changed the question. But I'll humour you, yes ,we did . Now go and try to pick holes in some other facet of the Club.

Oh, stop been so sensitive.

2 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

Hang on a minute. Before the Man City game, people were saying Giannoulis was their man of the match against Liverpool by a country mile and I even remember people saying they thought he was our best player.

so what? He had one bad 45 minutes against Man City (they all did) and all of a sudden he’s not good enough. 

I mean you read some funny old stuff on this message board in course of a day but surely that takes the fickle fans accolade to a whole new level.

For the 3rd time,

It wasn't a dig at Dimi nor Gibson.

For the 3rd time,

It wasn't a dig at Dimi nor Gibson.

Not suggesting it was a “dig” at all, don’t be so sensitive. All I’m saying is I find it incredible that in the space of two weeks Dimi particularly has gone from being amazing to not good e ouch I some peoples eyes. Seems a bit extreme even for the crazy world of football supporting mentality.

6 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

Fans forums are rarely the source of considered, and reflective content.  Although better than Facebook or Twitter.  Giannolous is a good player, he was left exposed against Man City.

Sadly football is binary.

Sorry but Dimi struggled in games last season when faced with an attacker who ran at him.

Over the years we have been lucky with some of the full backs we have had at our club but sadly I don’t feel he is good enough for the Premiership. 
Williams would be my number one choice this season. Yes he had a dodgy start against Leicester but he didn’t let it affect him and grew stronger as the game progressed.

12 minutes ago, pearsos said:

Sorry but Dimi struggled in games last season when faced with an attacker who ran at him.

Name a defender who doesn't struggle when faced with and attacker who is given time and space to start running at them. The problem - as against Leicester - was being to open with too many players too far up the pitch and lack of cover for the defenders.  We want to be attacking and base the formation around being a 433, but if the front three all stay too far up the pitch, we are always going to have problems. Much better imo if we think of the formation as 4321, with the 2 attacking midfielders a bit more savvy about when to hold back and be able to help their defence. 

Just going to ask a question here...

CDMulleringit did you commit the question of the club committing too soon, too soon?

I believe that you did.

• Haha 1

Just now, chicken said:

Just going to ask a question here...

CDMulleringit did you commit the question of the club committing too soon, too soon?

I believe that you did.

I'm not sure why it has been perceived to be such a negative Q tbh.

Hypothetically, would we prefer to have £15M in our pocket and pick up a Quintilla/Danny Rose to cover Brandon.

and have Kabak/Hanley Partnership with, another £13/14M to spend on the first 11?

Or Dimi/Gibson?

I'm not sure why it has been perceived to be such a negative Q tbh.

Hypothetically, would we prefer to have £15M in our pocket and pick up a Quintilla/Danny Rose to cover Brandon.

and have Kabak/Hanley Partnership with, another £13/14M to spend on the first 11?

Or Dimi/Gibson?

Negative because you are questioning the value spent on two players and suggesting we could have done better with the money.

17 hours ago, CDMullins said:

Arranging to turn Gibson/Dimi to permanents for decent money?

With Williams destined for first choice and seemingly another centre back coming in, did we pull the trigger too soon on these two wasting valuable £?

Reminds me of the contracts we handed out a couple of year back.

Good lord! Why is that the same people on this site are so desperate to find something for which to criticise the club. This has been a bloody fantastic transfer window so why can't you find it within yourself to give the club the credit it deserves?