CDMullins

Did we commit too soon?

Arranging to turn Gibson/Dimi to permanents for decent money?

With Williams destined for first choice and seemingly another centre back coming in, did we pull the trigger too soon on these two wasting valuable £?

Reminds me of the contracts we handed out a couple of year back.

8 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

With Williams destined for first choice and seemingly another centre back coming in, did we pull the trigger too soon on these two wasting valuable £?

No way. About 6 months ago dimi was the best lb we've had for years. 2 tough games against Liverpool and man city and now he's a waste of money? Same as Gibson, loads of people creamed their pants saying what a great idea by webber.. zzzzz

6 minutes ago, shruk4 said:

Gibson has been great and Dimi obviously has potential to be great as well

Gibson has been great!? In the champs yeah, been shocking so far in prem

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

My Q wasn't a dig at Gibson/Dimi.

But whether the money we'd spent could have been better spent elsewhere?

Having BW and Dimi must be pricey,

And appears we are in the market for a new CB, meaning one of club captain or new signing Gibson will be back up.

Yes, I know it's a squad game.

Edited by CDMullins

10 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

No way. About 6 months ago dimi was the best lb we've had for years. 2 tough games against Liverpool and man city and now he's a waste of money? Same as Gibson, loads of people creamed their pants saying what a great idea by webber.. zzzzz

Let's be right, Dimi's been our best left back, since our last left back.

Jamal is superior.

22 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Jamal is superior.

I think Lewis is alright but I think dimi is a better all rounder. Dimi our best left back since drury?

• Like 1

People need to remember Gibson was injured at the end of last season, he's in effect in his pre season stage at the moment, he's not back up to full speed yet. 

26 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Jamal is superior.

Totally disagree with that. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Dimi is a full international and Gibson is decent I think Farke is not the best defensive coach. Our whole defence is capable but they are marking shadows at the moment. When Houghton gets sacked give him a defensive coaching role for 12 months, better than house work or gardening all day

Christ, let's give it more than three games before we decide eh?

45 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Jamal is superior.

Disagree - Jamal was good going forward but dimi is a better option all round 

Jesus H.

This thread is infected with immaturity.

Some just don't sway with the wind, they sway with a breeze.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think Farke will revert back to Gianoullis for the Arsenal. It was right to give Williams a go and it's good to have competition in all areas of the pitch, but Dimi is a better option going forward being the natural left footer. Williams is used to having better players around him and not bothered about taking risks and making errors. This is Norwich though and he needs to get the basics right first.

23 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

He wea good going forward about 80% of the way before cutting inside and passing to a midfielder. Dimi gets to byline and attempts to create things.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

My view too!!

29 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Jesus H.

This thread is infected with immaturity.

Some just don't sway with the wind, they sway with a breeze.

Or the force of a wet fart... 

1 hour ago, CDMullins said:

Jamal is superio

Jamal is a very limited footballer. we mugged Newcastle. Giannoulis  will prove to be superior. 

Regarding the OP question, absolutely not, as the Championship win alone amply proved. Let them play together for a couple of seasons and get more time together, and they'll be a better-drilled unit. Throw in Tzolis, who already knows Giannoulis well from PAOK and Greece, and we should have plenty of fun there for a few years.

A lot is going to depend on the midfield structure so if Normann can turn the ball over enough to take the pressure off, that will also help. 

• Like 1

You can't judge Dimi on two games at home to Liverpool and away to Manchester City. He wouldn't be the first left-back to be outplayed by Salah and the City attack. 

It only tells you that he is not in the elite, world-class bracket but then I don't think many were expecting that. Judge him on the games again Palace, Wolves, Newcastle etc. if he's on the pitch. This is when we need them to stand up. 

• Like 1

This is a joke thread right?

Since you don't seem to know much about Norwich City let me remind you.

In the case of both Gibson and Gianoullis the deals which allowed us to bring them to the club in the first place stipulated that if we won promotion to the Premier League we would be obligated to buy them at a pre-agreed price. This was extensively reported at the time and many times since. 

Once we had won promotion to the Premier League we were obligated to buy them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CDMullins said:

No.

Giannoulis was £6-7m and Gibson was £8m. The fact that we have struggled to sign as good or better for the same or similar suggests that they were on point for value.

Ajer was signed for a deal that could add up to £17m(ish), £13.5m plus add ons. Is he massively better than Gibson? That's what we're talking about here. Joe Worral supposedly has a price of £15m on his head and in some ways, he is Gibson before he moved to Burnley - a promising young Championship CB. Is he twice as good as Gibson?

Gibson is better than Klose and better than Zimmermann. So he was worth the money to improve the team.

Is this thread premature? You bet. Should a fair number of folks calm down and wait a bit longer to judge/spit their dummies out? Most certainly, yes.

I think this one is easy to explain, and I have no doubt Giannoulis is our first choice, no doubt at all.

But we still needed quality cover there, as in any position, and the cover needs to be of said sufficient quality should Dimi get injured or suspended. Cricially, it also needs to be of comparable quality in order to push Dimi to be the number 1. There is zero point in having someone in back up whom is levels below the first choice.

What we’re seeing playing out right now is *exactly* what we want, 100%. Brandon made a mistake on Saturday, as all players do, and now I suspect Giannoulis will be back in for Arsenal.

We need this all over the pitch, and that goes for Gibson too.

• Like 1

If we didn't sign those two for a combined £13m, we would've had to sign two other players for their positions.

Could we have found better players than those two, which the prospective new signings would clearly need to be as Gibson and Giannoulis were both already integrated into the squad?

(My point is that I don't think we could have, by the way).

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

1 hour ago, chicken said:

No.

Giannoulis was £6-7m and Gibson was £8m. The fact that we have struggled to sign as good or better for the same or similar suggests that they were on point for value.

Ajer was signed for a deal that could add up to £17m(ish), £13.5m plus add ons. Is he massively better than Gibson? That's what we're talking about here. Joe Worral supposedly has a price of £15m on his head and in some ways, he is Gibson before he moved to Burnley - a promising young Championship CB. Is he twice as good as Gibson?

Gibson is better than Klose and better than Zimmermann. So he was worth the money to improve the team.

Is this thread premature? You bet. Should a fair number of folks calm down and wait a bit longer to judge/spit their dummies out? Most certainly, yes.

Sums it up perfectly for me 

I think people also vastly underestimate just how good Skipp was last year as well

• Like 1