Sign in to follow this  
FenwayFrank

Local non league football

1 hour ago, Mr Apples said:

Just to get a football fix, I'm a season ticket holder at a local Scottish Lowland League club and it's great entertainment for a reasonable price. At a game earlier in the season I saw a 3-3 draw, with two penalties, six red cards and a full scale dugouts clearing brawl at the final whistle...all for £6. 💪 🤣

Apples

Did you shake your head in disgust at all the violence while filming it all, like they do on the TV? 😀

25 minutes ago, Herman said:

Did you shake your head in disgust at all the violence while filming it all, like they do on the TV?

Herman, I just tutted in a disappointed manner while shaking my head...I couldn't get my phone out quick enough. 🤣

Luckily someone else videoed it.

Groundhop Sat 4 Sep 2021 Bo'Ness United Vs East Stirlingshire ALL KICKS OFF AT END OF GAME FIGHT - YouTube

Apples

• Haha 1

I was so outraged that I had to watch it on widescreen and give it a thumbs up.😀

• Haha 1

On 11/10/2021 at 13:26, Mr Apples said:

Just to get a football fix, I'm a season ticket holder at a local Scottish Lowland League club and it's great entertainment for a reasonable price. At a game earlier in the season I saw a 3-3 draw, with two penalties, six red cards and a full scale dugouts clearing brawl at the final whistle...all for £6. 💪 🤣

Apples

I'm on my way 😂

• Haha 1

Wroxham 1-2 Gorleston 

Have to say Gorleston took their chances and Wroxham didn’t, the away keeper had an excellent game and made a number of really good saves. Wroxham weren’t at their best but you can see why Gorleston are doing well as they’re well organised. Gorleston are now four points clear at the top but have played one game more, long way to go yet.

Attendance-386

Edited by FenwayFrank
  • Like 1

A friend of mine has just put in an offer on a house in Sprowston. He’s a Watford fan but I think he prefers watching non-league football-he often goes to see Chesham United. Can anyone suggest a team that would be fairly local to Sprowston and at roughly the same level as Chesham, that is accessible by public transport? The ground should probably also have a bar.

Cheers.

11 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

A friend of mine has just put in an offer on a house in Sprowston. He’s a Watford fan but I think he prefers watching non-league football-he often goes to see Chesham United. Can anyone suggest a team that would be fairly local to Sprowston and at roughly the same level as Chesham, that is accessible by public transport? The ground should probably also have a bar.

Cheers.

First thing, don’t worry, they all have a bar 😁. I’ve had a quick look and I think Chesham are step 3/4 which would put them at around the level of Lowestoft. I would suggest trying out a few games at different levels. He could go to conference level Kings Lynn and then down the leagues would be trips to Lowestoft, Dereham or my level of non league which would be Wroxham. I can’t remember the last time I used public transport so am no help there other than there must be a bus from Sprowston to Wroxham and there’s obviously the train to Lynn or Lowestoft. He’ll soon find a club he wants to support and I’m sure he’ll be made very welcome. 

2 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

First thing, don’t worry, they all have a bar 😁. I’ve had a quick look and I think Chesham are step 3/4 which would put them at around the level of Lowestoft. I would suggest trying out a few games at different levels. He could go to conference level Kings Lynn and then down the leagues would be trips to Lowestoft, Dereham or my level of non league which would be Wroxham. I can’t remember the last time I used public transport so am no help there other than there must be a bus from Sprowston to Wroxham and there’s obviously the train to Lynn or Lowestoft. He’ll soon find a club he wants to support and I’m sure he’ll be made very welcome. 

Cheers FF, sounds like there is a lot of choice for him. I don’t know whether he’ll be made welcome though, he’s a retired civil servant with some very strange ideas. He was also in a new wave band whose main claim to fame was that they once supported The Fall!

@FenwayFrank is now looking nervously over his shoulder as the Mighty Mullies start closing in on Wroxham. I'll be popping over to Swaffham this afternoon for 3 more points. Wroxham at home to Whitton so should get back to winning ways.

Good to see Norfolk teams dominating at the top of the table 

Screenshot_20211030-093037_Chrome.thumb.jpg.feb0e19e6ce8aac66c0016092e3416c6.jpg

All thurlow nunn matches on 27/12 now cancelled, looks like 3/1 might go to which is a shame as Wroxham  were away to  Gorleston on 3/1

As the Wroxham match was postponed I went to Dereham v Stowmarket in the Isthmian yesterday. It was interesting to watch in the hope that Wroxham could be in the same division next season. There is an improvement in the standard although I will say that Rossi Jarvis has put on a few pounds since I last saw him ! 😁.

The good news is Norfolk won 2-1 in an entertaining game. The only slight disappointment for me was some of the Stowmarket fans, you get very used to hear OMG a certain amount of effing and jeffing in professional football, but at a level that is usually thought of as being for families and kids they were pretty abusive to the officials which was a shame. 

If you like a bit of local football then I’d recommend it, nice big car park and £8 to get in.

On 11/10/2021 at 17:56, Mr Apples said:

Apples

Really

This went a bit viral. How nobody was seriously injured is anyone's guess.

• Haha 2

Big match last night with Wroxham winning 2-1against Norwich United. Wroxham were 1-0 down with five minutes left, the winner was a penalty in the last minute of injury time. Draw would have been a fair result but I’m not complaining 😁. Wroxham’s next two games are both away, to top of the table Mildenhall then Mulbarton. Get through those two and they’ll be fighting it out with Gorleston who surprisingly lost at Kirkley and Pakefield last night.

Edited by FenwayFrank

On 29/01/2022 at 12:57, FenwayFrank said:

Big match last night with Wroxham winning 2-1against Norwich United. Wroxham were 1-0 down with five minutes left, the winner was a penalty in the last minute of injury time. Draw would have been a fair result but I’m not complaining 😁. Wroxham’s next two games are both away, to top of the table Mildenhall then Mulbarton. Get through those two and they’ll be fighting it out with Gorleston who surprisingly lost at Kirkley and Pakefield last night.

Are you coming to Mulbarton tomorrow? We're quietly confident after the 6-0 demolition of those Ipswich people in the week 

14 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Are you coming to Mulbarton tomorrow? We're quietly confident after the 6-0 demolition of those Ipswich people in the week 

I like to get to Carrow road in good time so I won’t be there Dylan. Should be a good game, Wroxham are now in a bit of a rhythm, demolished Mildenhall last week. Whatever happens for the rest of the season Mulbarton have done really well for a newly promoted side, we need a win more than you do 😉

40 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I like to get to Carrow road in good time so I won’t be there Dylan. Should be a good game, Wroxham are now in a bit of a rhythm, demolished Mildenhall last week. Whatever happens for the rest of the season Mulbarton have done really well for a newly promoted side, we need a win more than you do 😉

We have a new player who is too good for this division. 3 goals in 2 games. So should be a good game tomorrow 

• Like 1

On 11/02/2022 at 15:42, FenwayFrank said:

Great game somewhat spoiled by a Wroxham player being sent off halfway through the first half. Mulbarton scored the resulting penalty and the reaction of everyone connected with Wroxham was 'what on earth was he thinking'! 

Still a great advert for the Thurlow Nunn Premier League. The Wroxham keeper made 2 saves in the second half that would have graced the Premier League.  Wroxham brought on a lad called Ryan Miles for the second half. Quite why he didn't start is puzzling. 

Surprised to see Daryl Godbold running the line. City fans of a certain vintage will remember him. 

Anyone at a loose end when City aren't playing would be well entertained by both these teams. 

It's the Senior Cup quarter finals next week. Wonder what the odds were on the 'big 4' avoiding each other in the draw...... 

Screenshot_20220213-083419_Chrome.jpg

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

Mate of mine went and said pretty much the same. With Gorleston losing it turned out to be a good point. By the way, the Wroxham keeper is Ollie Sutton, son of Chris 

A very good step takes English football, are looking to build on the recent growth of non-league football.

And it should be because that's how players learn and become a star players and we appreciate it

Really want to get into this level of football more than ever now after today. At least you can always enjoy the matches as relegation in the non-league pyramid isn’t seen as a bad thing in comparison to the mainstream game.

On 20/02/2022 at 03:25, KernowCanary said:

Really want to get into this level of football more than ever now after today. At least you can always enjoy the matches as relegation in the non-league pyramid isn’t seen as a bad thing in comparison to the mainstream game.

you are absolutely right 

• Like 1

Big game today in the Thurlow Nunn as 2nd place Gorleston take on top of the table Mildenhall. 

In the Isthmian League Dereham are at home to Romford. 

Closer to Norwich, Mulbarton play at home to Long Melford. 

A non league club actually hold the all-time record for the most goals scored in FA Cup history (including qualifying rounds). That team is Kettering Town and they have never played league football. They introduced shirt sponsorship and surnames above player numbers on shirt backs.

Non League really is a more-than-meets-the-eye affair.

5 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Harley Black for Wroxham yesterday. Finished 1-1. Massive game Tuesday night, Wroxham away to second placed Gorleston 

https://mobile.twitter.com/stuart_black14/status/1510272896249249799

Mulbarton did both a favour at Mildenhall yesterday. Two horse race now. I think I'll pop over to Gorleston on Tuesday. There'll be several Mulbarton people there in advance of the semi final a week later. 

Bring your ear plugs  Frank. That bloke with a drum will drive you to distraction 😡

PS ignore satnav and follow these directions 

Screenshot_20220403-152701_Chrome.thumb.jpg.260e3587c49561fd15b408aa437a777c.jpg

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Haha 1

None of that overhyped champions League rubbish for me. Just back from a great cup tie  Norfolk senior cup semi. Wroxham v Mulbarton. Mulbarton 2-0 winners. They play either Dereham or Fakenham in the final. Up the wanderers!!!

Monday 23rd of may. Carrow Road is the date for the final. Bring it on!

Edited by The Raptor
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, The Raptor said:

None of that overhyped champions League rubbish for me. Just back from a great cup tie  Norfolk senior cup semi. Wroxham v Mulbarton. Mulbarton 2-0 winners. They play either Dereham or Fakenham in the final. Up the wanderers!!!

Monday 23rd of may. Carrow Road is the date for the final. Bring it on!

I thought 2-0 flattered Mulbarton but Wroxham didn’t really work the keeper enough, good game though. Still got the league title to play for 😁

Edited by FenwayFrank