Sign in to follow this  
FenwayFrank

Local non league football

Thought I’d try a thread here as it would quickly disappear on the football page. 

Ive been following Wroxham for a few seasons when I can, home and away😁, it’s really good fun and a complete antidote to the premier league nonsense we get. Wroxham currently top of the Thurlow Nunn having won all seven games this season.

@dylanisabaddog will be pleased as Mulbarton are also doing well and are currently fourth.

Nice to see Kings Lynn get their first win of the season yesterday away to Yeovil

If anyone hasn’t tried this level of football I can really recommend it, give it a go over the international break.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Thought I’d try a thread here as it would quickly disappear on the football page. 

Ive been following Wroxham for a few seasons when I can, home and away😁, it’s really good fun and a complete antidote to the premier league nonsense we get. Wroxham currently top of the Thurlow Nunn having won all seven games this season.

@dylanisabaddog will be pleased as Mulbarton are also doing well and are currently fourth.

Nice to see Kings Lynn get their first win of the season yesterday away to Yeovil

If anyone hasn’t tried this level of football I can really recommend it, give it a go over the international break.

Been seriously thinking about this now for some time. We're up north so getting City tickets is nigh impossible (very high season ticket rates mean far less casual tickets) and means a round trip of 400 plus miles... plus in the EPL I've also found away tickets a challenge.

A friend has been watching Halifax Town for decades. A club that came back from the dead. Yet, it's all about community and seems so down to earth. I've found the Premier increasingly cynical and I've stopped watching MOTD because of the never changing stance to any smaller club. It's become so corporate and 'big business' that it's started to feel remote to me. (I think I'd feel the same btw even if we were in 10th position and not 19th🙂).

So, I may start a new habit. Could never leave my yellow and green allegiances because there remains something alive about us. Yet the environment we're in doesn't do it for me even though I really want us to compete. I end up (like in many areas of life) feeling a complete hypocrite. Can't win.

Dislike most modern grounds too. I just see money and hubris. Yet I suspect I'm seen as weird for thinking like this to the majority. A friend has been a Man City supporter for 50+ years. He loves all the success but I just don't get it!

Wroxham and Dereham are both excellent teams. I watch Mulbarton because it's close but as Frank says, they are doing very well. As are Gorleston if you're out on the coast.

Gorleston v Mulbarton is on Tuesday night but I think Mulbarton will have one eye on the non league highlight of the week which is their game against Welwyn Garden City in the First Preliminary round of the FA Cup on Saturday. Sadly I will miss it as I'm walking Hadrians Wall and my co walkers would be resistant to delaying it a day. Miserable gits. 

All of these teams and others are well worth watching. You'll be surprised at the quality. And there are several Suffolk teams which always adds a touch of spice, especially with Wroxham, Gorleston and Mulbarton doing so well in the Thurlow Nunn Premier. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

My mate and I have been talking about going to Kings Lynn, and, in fact, he mentioned Wroxham on the way home yesterday, so we are keen to see some 'authentic' football

@dylanisabaddog, Mulbarton in the FA Cup has a nice ring to it.

7 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

My mate and I have been talking about going to Kings Lynn, and, in fact, he mentioned Wroxham on the way home yesterday, so we are keen to see some 'authentic' football

@dylanisabaddog, Mulbarton in the FA Cup has a nice ring to it.

The cup game should be worth watching and it's only £6.  Welwyn are at least one step ahead of Mulbarton and I'd be surprised if we manage to beat them but you never know. 

Hey there @dylanisabaddogsorry to go off topic, but me and a few mates are going to do the Hadrian's Wall walk next may. I just wondered how you've gone about it. We're looking at signing up with one of the companies that sorts it all out for you...any advice or thoughts you can give would be very welcome 👍

1 minute ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

The few times I've been to watch Gorleston over the years, the football has been pretty dire, I may have to give it another go 👍

I used to go and watch Stevenage when they were non-league/4th division and, yes, the quality of football was poor, but it was only a tenner to get in at the time so the atmosphere and bumping into old mates was worth it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Hey there @dylanisabaddogsorry to go off topic, but me and a few mates are going to do the Hadrian's Wall walk next may. I just wondered how you've gone about it. We're looking at signing up with one of the companies that sorts it all out for you...any advice or thoughts you can give would be very welcome 👍

I haven't organised it but I know we're having our stuff moved along by a company. We're all in our early 60's so didn't fancy carrying everything. And I'm taking my dogs which would make it impossible to camp and carry. 

There is a Hadrian's Wall walking Facebook group which is worth joining. Loads of good advice. Just search Hadrians Wall in FB. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

Thanks DIABD, 

So we're same age group, we're thinking of going with one of the company's that sorts hotels and takes your stuff about for you, but now you mention camping and taking your dogs with you...🤔

There's lots of good resources out there, we got a map that condenses all the relevant OS maps in one booklet. I had a good look at the weekend, but I just kept thinking f*** it's a long way 😃

How many days are you hoping to do it in?

On 29/08/2021 at 16:21, dylanisabaddog said:

Sadly I will miss it

I'm hoping to make it. I'll shout extra loud to make up for your absence!

Up the Wanderers!

Edited by The Raptor
  • Thanks 1

Gorleston 2 Mulbarton 0

Not the best non league game I've seen this season. Neither team played particularly well and the game wasn't helped by a referee who had both sets of players baffled by some of his decisions. 

The main reason for posting this is to say for goodness sake avoid Gorleston if you find someone banging a drum annoying. They have a supporter who 'plays' one non stop for 90 minutes😱

If you want to see a game on Saturday, Mulbarton are playing Welwyn Garden City in the First Preliminary Round of the FA Cup. Should be a good match with a big crowd. 

Admittance is £6/£3/£1 

There is a newly opened chip shop next to the ground which is highly recommended. 

On 01/09/2021 at 04:55, dylanisabaddog said:

Gorleston 2 Mulbarton 0

Not the best non league game I've seen this season. Neither team played particularly well and the game wasn't helped by a referee who had both sets of players baffled by some of his decisions. 

The main reason for posting this is to say for goodness sake avoid Gorleston if you find someone banging a drum annoying. They have a supporter who 'plays' one non stop for 90 minutes😱

Gorleston are at their new ground aren’t they ? Proper grass or all weather plastic pitch ?

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

Gorleston are at their new ground aren’t they ? Proper grass or all weather plastic pitch ?

Emerald Park with old fashioned bumpy grass. And a drum...... 

31 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Emerald Park with old fashioned bumpy grass. And a drum...... 

I thought they’d moved, I’ve still got time to do emerald park then 😁

After 18 consecutive wins Wroxham were beaten at home to Mildenhall yesterday. Newmarket, also unbeaten this season lost too at Norwich Utd, another win for Mulbarton at Ely. Top of the table closes up a little. 

Well at least non league is going well 😁 Wroxham top, Gorleston second and I believe that Mulbarton are now in the highest position in their history in third place. 

• Like 2

On 19/09/2021 at 20:54, FenwayFrank said:

I’ve just noticed, Mulbarton v Gorleston next Saturday 

Thanks Frank. Mulbarton had forgotten to put it on their site and I would have missed it if it wasn't for you. 

Tuesday night is Wroxham v Mulbarton so a big few days in the Thurlow Nunn Premier 😊

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

Wroxham v Gorleston on Tuesday at 7.45. Top v Second. 

Yesterday I saw Mulbarton 5 March 4. A great match spoiled a bit by a referee who somehow managed to book 8 players in what was a good natured and exciting game. 

• Like 1

Wroxham now have a problem as Joe Taylor, 18 goals in 12 games, made his debut for Kings Lynn yesterday instead of playing for the Yachtsmen. Looking forward to Tuesday night though, should be a good attendance.

Edited by FenwayFrank

My old family home was only a couple of hundred yards from Emerald Park, I can remember when Gorleston moved there from the "Rec". 

I actually now live within easy walking distance of AFC Portchester (Wessex Premier League) and sometimes wander over there on a Saturday afternoon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

Wroxham now have a problem as Joe Taylor, 18 goals in 12 games, made his debut for Kings Lynn yesterday instead of playing for the Yachtsmen. Looking forward to Tuesday night though, should be a good attendance.

One of the Mulbarton people told me about Taylor yesterday. He said he has a poor first touch but usually scores with his second 😂

Just to get a football fix, I'm a season ticket holder at a local Scottish Lowland League club and it's great entertainment for a reasonable price. At a game earlier in the season I saw a 3-3 draw, with two penalties, six red cards and a full scale dugouts clearing brawl at the final whistle...all for £6. 💪 🤣

Apples

• Like 1
  • Haha 4