Sign in to follow this  
non-scoring strikers

Why does he not play Sorensen?

Good question op.

I just posted this on another thread.

Why have we given Sorenson a four year contract extension if we don't intend to play him regularly? Are we planning for the championship and if so, why didn't we play him in midfield last season?

Farke making some strange decisions at the moment. I’m not keen on his treatment of Gianoulis either. I think he seems to have a bit of a blind spot when it comes to coaching the defensive side of the game. Not his strength. Including set pieces where we still look shambolic.

I'm with the OP and this is very frustrating. Farke seems to be happy to pack plenty of box to box midfielders which simply aren't good enough at this level, and I can't believe the "Farke must see him in training and doesn't believe he's good enough" because last season he stuck him at LB, a position he'd never played in for a good chunk of the season, and he adpated very well

To me Sorenson looks the sort of calm, intelligent player that will grow into a role, but it's beyond me why he's not given a shot at this level, even a fair chance to stake his claim, as Farke seems happy to give others their chance, even if they don't take them

I don't think the current formation works, and would like to see Sorenson given a chance to shine, and maybe if Webber doesn't come good, we might, but Farke baffles me about this one 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Farke making some strange decisions at the moment. I’m not keen on his treatment of Gianoulis either. I think he seems to have a bit of a blind spot when it comes to coaching the defensive side of the game. Not his strength. Including set pieces where we still look shambolic.

Very much this. It's been clear for at least two seasons our defence is our weakest part of the team and yet no matter who we bring in no matter what we do nothing seems to change.. What's going on in training etc etc

And it should be clear to anyone with a brain that Gilmour is NOT a defensive midfielder. He is one of our physically smallest and weakest players and yet Farke seems convinced he's the second coming of Kante.. He needs to be playing higher up. Defending is clearly not his game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

And it should be clear to anyone with a brain that Gilmour is NOT a defensive midfielder. He is one of our physically smallest and weakest players and yet Farke seems convinced he's the second coming of Kante.. He needs to be playing higher up. Defending is clearly not his game.

Only guessing, but I don’t think Farke sees Gilmour as a defensive player. He is in the side to be creative and make things happen. The issue is that Gilmour needs to play alongside a ‘minder’ but we don’t have one

May as well sell him tbh.

If we buy another DM in the next 2 days he might not even make the bench.

We need a DM and Farke has decided it isn't him. We trust in Farke and move on.

3 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

May as well sell him tbh.

If we buy another DM in the next 2 days he might not even make the bench.

We need a DM and Farke has decided it isn't him. We trust in Farke and move on.

You are aware you can trust in someone but that does not mean you can't question them and what they do from time to time right?

This makes no sense. Playing Gilmour in that role is akin to playing Leitner and we all agreed he was not physical enough for this level, despite being more physical than Gilmour! It’s exactly the same as two years ago, just with different players. Although, I do believe we are much better equipped as a squad, Farke just needs to pick the right players in the right position.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

You are aware you can trust in someone but that does not mean you can't question them and what they do from time to time right?

I have questioned it and I said on this forum yesterday that Sorensen should have played yesterday. 

We have to consider that Farke sees something in the way Sorensen plays that doesn't suit our team.

• Like 1

If you listened to  one of Daniel's press conferences recently, he talked about Sorensen in glowing terms, but intimtated that he needs to look a bit sharper to be selected - that he maybe needs to add just a little bit to his game.  Must be nearly there, or we wouldn't have offered him a new contract.

8 minutes ago, Clint said:

This makes no sense. Playing Gilmour in that role is akin to playing Leitner and we all agreed he was not physical enough for this level, despite being more physical than Gilmour! It’s exactly the same as two years ago, just with different players. Although, I do believe we are much better equipped as a squad, Farke just needs to pick the right players in the right position.

Until we get that elusive Central defensive midfielder and learn to bring down players, when we are exposed, we will keep getting beat. Its no good bemoaning your luck when we are too easily exposed at the back. Leicester had 3 chances and took 2 of them. This squad is, at the moment no where near the improvement we need to stay up.

Edited by Kenny Foggo
  • Like 1

I think if we don't get that holding midfielder in the next 2 days, then it's a no brainer that Sorenson must be allowed a run of games at this level in that role. Playing Gilmour there is an utter nonsense, which is wasting the lads talents and we may as well just send him back if that's the plan for him. 

• Like 2

Whilst I agree with a lot of the sentiments posted in this thread, it's worth noting that even though Gilmour is playing in the deepest midfield role, his role isn't really to provide a defensive function. He plays in the deepest role because of his range of passing; he can collect the ball from the centre backs, help us beat the press and move us up the pitch.

It's the role Andrea Pirlo played at Milan for more than a decade when they were one of the best sides in Europe, despite having no more physicality than Gilmour. Pirlo, however, was flanked by a world class ball-winner in Gattuso and a physical box-to-box player in Seedorf/Ambrosini. We have Lees-Melou and McLean who can do the box-to-box role, so maybe we just need to find our Gattuso in the next 48 hours?

• Like 3

Three games in and Farke isn't a good enough coach according to some on here.

I mean pre-season I predicted this sort of nonsense after 10 games, but not 3.

• Like 1

For me, it's not working with the personel in the roles. I hate using the term but, free hit vs aresnal. Try Sorenson, tzolis, Sargent! Poor start anyway so let's give it a swing. Farke must have faith and trust his squad. If he doesn't why sign a new long contract to be a new hughton........

1 hour ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Good question op.

I just posted this on another thread.

Why have we given Sorenson a four year contract extension if we don't intend to play him regularly? Are we planning for the championship and if so, why didn't we play him in midfield last season?

He isn't match fit and as far as the contract goes,  he is decent player,  so it makes sense to have him on  a long contract......can you imagine the whingeing if we sold him on the cheap cos his old contract  had run  down. Can't have it both ways so we might as well have it our way. 

10 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Whilst I agree with a lot of the sentiments posted in this thread, it's worth noting that even though Gilmour is playing in the deepest midfield role, his role isn't really to provide a defensive function. He plays in the deepest role because of his range of passing; he can collect the ball from the centre backs, help us beat the press and move us up the pitch.

It's the role Andrea Pirlo played at Milan for more than a decade when they were one of the best sides in Europe, despite having no more physicality than Gilmour. Pirlo, however, was flanked by a world class ball-winner in Gattuso and a physical box-to-box player in Seedorf/Ambrosini. We have Lees-Melou and McLean who can do the box-to-box role, so maybe we just need to find our Gattuso in the next 48 hours?

I’d agree with that. Gilmour is playing the David Fox “quarterback” role but he needs muscle alongside him as he’s getting exposed as the deepest midfielder. 

12 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

100%

Farke obviously sees Gilmour in the Pirlo role but in front of this weak defence and without a DM alongside him it doesn't work. 

Ready to be torn a new one but.....vs arsenal......

Whatever Daniel does I'll back him but, my 6penneth (if they insist on a 4-3-3 still and don't get a dm in)

Krul 

Gianoulis/Williams (take ya pick) 

Hanley 

Omabamidele (purely more pace than Gibson) 

Aarons 

McLean 

Sorenson (sitting in the CDM role) 

Gilmore (bit further up to make the passes) 

Tzolis 

Rashica 

Pukki/Sargent (take ya pick)

*Harsh on cantwell yes, but, worth a try? I dunno, just morning musings*

I think Sorensen is still a work in progress in the managers eyes, he is still developing. DF obviously thinks he has something about him, some potential but isn't quite ready yet. I don't really know why that is so difficult to understand. With everyone fit he thinks his best midfield is Gilmour, McLean and PLM. I expect a new signing to change that this week.

As for Giannoulis, DF obviously saw some things he didn't like last Saturday and feels Williams warranted a start after playing well in midweek. Nobody is guaranteed a start, you have a squad and pick what you think is your best eleven to win that next game. It's not about poor treatment of players, if you play well you keep the shirt and if you don't you run the risk of being replaced through competition for places if somebody is putting pressure on you. I believe it's that simple. Trouble is when we lose the world and his (or her) wife have opinions about who should and shouldn't have played etc when the only opinion that counts is the manager, he is the one with the coaching badges, the experience, the promotions (and relegations) on his CV and sees the players at work every day.

Edited by Gordon Bennett

Simply, he doesn't think he's good enough...yet.

Skipp was ahead of him last year in the Championship so there was very little chance of him stepping up to be our first choice DCM in the Prem.

He might develop into the player we need, he might not. Could be one of those players who we buy, doesn't really do much wrong/get much of a chance and then moves on and makes his name somewhere else.

OTBC

6 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Simply, he doesn't think he's good enough...yet.

Skipp was ahead of him last year in the Championship so there was very little chance of him stepping up to be our first choice DCM in the Prem.

He might develop into the player we need, he might not. Could be one of those players who we buy, doesn't really do much wrong/get much of a chance and then moves on and makes his name somewhere else.

OTBC

Out of reactions 👍

4 hours ago, fredherring said:

He not fit. 

You always talk like you're in the know. Didn't he play midweek? The whole game? And you say he not fit. Any proof? No.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gordon Bennett said:

I think Sorensen is still a work in progress in the managers eyes, he is still developing. DF obviously thinks he has something about him, some potential but isn't quite ready yet. I don't really know why that is so difficult to understand. With everyone fit he thinks his best midfield is Gilmour, McLean and PLM. I expect a new signing to change that this week.

As for Giannoulis, DF obviously saw some things he didn't like last Saturday and feels Williams warranted a start after playing well in midweek. Nobody is guaranteed a start, you have a squad and pick what you think is your best eleven to win that next game. It's not about poor treatment of players, if you play well you keep the shirt and if you don't you run the risk of being replaced through competition for places if somebody is putting pressure on you. I believe it's that simple. Trouble is when we lose the world and his (or her) wife have opinions about who should and shouldn't have played etc when the only opinion that counts is the manager, he is the one with the coaching badges, the experience, the promotions (and relegations) on his CV and sees the players at work every day.

Williams out as soon as in based on being a main instigator in both goals.  Dreadful back pass and giving your winger little attention.

Is Sorensen really that poor in his preferred position not to given an opportunity so we can berate Farke for even trying to firm up a poor defence who are back to the old days of making crashing errors.