3 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

This thread is a total embarrassment. Cantwell wasn't brilliant today, but he wasn't terrible either. He put in a shift and did some really good things. The people who claim that he doesn't track back clearly aren't actually watching the game. Leicester broke on us from a corner late in the game when we had committed a lot of players forward and Cantwell sprinted back nearly the whole length of the pitch and put in a sliding challenge which slowed up the Leicester attack. There was another occasion early in the second half when Leicester tried to play out from the back and he sprinted to harry three Leicester players one after the other culminating in Schmeicel slicing it out for a throw in to us. 

But he isn't suited as a forward in a 4-3-3 is he?

14 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Cantwell was good today, probably our best player first half.

Was just going to post the same!!

Should never be allowed to leave - amazing player whose little indiscretions we should forgive and celebrate, as he is our player and one of us. 

• Like 5

I like Todd, and I have consistently said so, but it’s time for us to sell him, he does not fit the way this team needs to play. Take 20 million or so for him in exchange for investing in a proper DM and CB. 

• Like 1

Pink boots….particularly fetching I thought.

Edited by Van wink

10 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

No he wasn’t. 

Yeah, he was.

Quick look and seems all the local journos and pundits agree with me, too.

22 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

But he isn't suited as a forward in a 4-3-3 is he?

Good players are capable of adapting to different positions given a little bit of time. The fact that you appear to have written him off in this position after 3 games (against 3 of the top 5 teams in the land) tells us a lot about you and absolutely nothing about whether he can make a success of it. 

Oh - and btw - you said in one of your earlier posts that you think Tzolis or Placheta would make a better go of it than him - you do know that Tzolis was out injured today and that Placheta is recovering from Covid don't you? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yeah, he was.

Quick look and seems all the local journos and pundits agree with me, too.

You win then to anyone who’s blind. 

8 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Good players are capable of adapting to different positions given a little bit of time. The fact that you appear to have written him off in this position after 3 games (against 3 of the top 5 teams in the land) tells us a lot about you and absolutely nothing about whether he can make a success of it. 

Oh - and btw - you said in one of your earlier posts that you think Tzolis or Placheta would make a better go of it than him - you do know that Tzolis was out injured today and that Placheta is recovering from Covid don't you

I do, yes. It was a general comment with future games in mind. 

Good players can adapt to new positions. But I don't think Cantwell has the attributes for that role. I also called out what he is good at, and roles more suited to him.

I'd prefer if Farke picked the right players for the right positions. The two forwards flanking the main striker in a front three, need pace and to be direct. Even more so in a counter attacking tactic. Cantwell prefers to slow it down and keep the ball moving. That's his game. Pretty big shift to get him playing well in the current formation. Tzolis looks much more suited. 

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

52 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Cantwell wasn't brilliant today, but he wasn't terrible either.

Have to say I've been a bit baffled myself about some of the Cantwell comments on this thread.  He put in some very nice touches at times.

I too am rather confused by some of the comments on the thread. He had some really creative touches, and was involved in a lot of our better moves. As for the stuff about him playing on the right, his main defensive responsibilities were there, but he appeared in central positions when in attack quite frequently. 

I can't help feeling that some people just don't "get him."

1 hour ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

We don’t have time to carry passengers. That applies to Cantwell and one or 2 others in that team today.

Ridiculous to call him a passenger. 

Paddy Davitt called him a "Class Act" at half time. Ridiculous thread and exactly the same as what happened this time last season. 

Blame culture gone wrong. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

I too am rather confused by some of the comments on the thread. He had some really creative touches, and was involved in a lot of our better moves. As for the stuff about him playing on the right, his main defensive responsibilities were there, but he appeared in central positions when in attack quite frequently. 

More that some people don't want to get him. Some are craving any opportunity to lay into him because they don't like his style on social media or whatever rubbish.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Real Buh said:

What exactly did he do wrong today?

Not much. Some people just don't like him, I think - preconceived notions!

He kept arguing with the ref after the disallowed goal, but generally had a decent game: worked hard with some lovely touches.

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

More that some people don't want to get him. Some are craving any opportunity to lay into him because they don't like his style on social media or whatever rubbish.

Yes, I think you're probably right.

7 minutes ago, Badger said:

Because if you read each post, every player apparently was brilliant but at the same time the worst player on the pitch.

The BBC stats had him as our third worst player. And Gilmour as our fourth best. And Leicester had better ratings than us.

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

The BBC stats had him as our third worst player. And Gilmour as our fourth best. And Leicester had better ratings than us.

Goodness knows how they got those stats  + accurate to two decimal places! I would be very interested in the methodology!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Yes he was. First half he was excellent... second half he dropped off a bit.

That's how I saw it 👍

8 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Because if you read each post, every player apparently was brilliant but at the same time the worst player on the pitch.

Trouble is at the game we don't have those stats so can only go on what we see.

He was probably our best player first half but didn't really do much the 2nd.

If anything he is quickly being caught up by Rashica who tracked back superbly well and was our most dangerous player.

No one wants Cantwell at £30m and his best bet is to sign a new deal with us otherwise I can see him leaving on a free or for next to nothing.

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

He had a fine game IMO. Some won't be happy until they drive him out.

• Like 3

Thought he was fine today certianly doesnt warrant the thread. We are trying a new strategy but it is not quire there. We need a 3 behind pukki as otherwise we have next to no goal threat. Still think the 4231 is rhe best we can do but prob involves dropping gilmour for it to work. As for Cantwell he constantly showed for the ball floated all across the pitch bur has very limited options ro go forward to. I could see him work as a 10 but on the right of a front 3 it really isnt working.  Dont know how many dfforts weve had on goal in 3 games but our goal was a pen and the "other" one was from a corner. In open play we arent doing enough and i think it has a lot to do with the shape and fear of over committing. We need goals to stay up and i dont think we are going to score enough. As soon as we concede i worry as most teams can close us out without too much trouble

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

He had a fine game IMO. Some won't be happy until they drive him out.

Certainly how it feels yes

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

And people obviously see things differently.

Me. I thought we obviously had more of the game than previous but still look nowhere ready to challenge.

And as for Todd, he played the No10 for a while but second half went back to more of a three. He has tons of skill that is obvious and is wasting his time playing for us. We cannot protect him and his ability gets overshadowed by his inability to protect himself. He is much better wide where it isn't full on.

I thought Max was MOTM easily. Luckily, we saw lots of replays of what he did.

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

And people obviously see things differently.

Me. I thought we obviously had more of the game than previous but still look nowhere ready to challenge.

And as for Todd, he played the No10 for a while but second half went back to more of a three. He has tons of skill that is obvious and is wasting his time playing for us. We cannot protect him and his ability gets overshadowed by his inability to protect himself. He is much better wide where it isn't full on.

I thought Max was MOTM easily. Luckily, we saw lots of replays of what he did.

Max was our best defender for sure. He's improved since last time and there's very rarely a cross from his side.

Rashica was prob my MOTM though. Although the Lord Mayor was excellent too.

Looking at the game as a whole, I didn't think Todd was much better or worse than anyone else. He did fade 2nd half; he nearly gifted Leicester a goal near the end with two weak challenges.

Agree that Aarons was MOTM.

OTBC