chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Leicester (PL) ****

3 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I totally agree that the formation has been changed just to accommodate Gilmour, and that really irks me because he’s not playing well enough to justify it. Farke has thrown away the formation that gave us the title last year and it stinks.

Come on, it's been 3 games in a completely new system. It's frustrating Gilmour isn't working at the moment, but it's not necessarily the case that it won't work in three weeks time.

• Like 1

Know this sounds obvious but in the Premier Leagues newly promoted teams like Norwich, Watford and Brentford will survive by bei g strong playing, playing a bit dirty at times and being tough to beat and score against - conceding at least two goals every game makes the task virtually impossible especially when that's to a substantially weakened teams as Leicester were today (I doubt there will be a better time to play them this season). As I said last week, (and I know the transfer window is still open), but failing to substantially improve what is a championship level defence as a number one priority and to still be in that position three games in is suicidal and incredibly poor planning by the Norwich management. The investments up front appear solid and look to have real potential - but without a solid backline and midfield behind them then the club is sending them into a hopeless battle. 

8 minutes ago, King Bee said:

Know this sounds obvious but in the Premier Leagues newly promoted teams like Norwich, Watford and Brentford will survive by bei g strong playing, playing a bit dirty at times and being tough to beat and score against - conceding at least two goals every game makes the task virtually impossible especially when that's to a substantially weakened teams as Leicester were today (I doubt there will be a better time to play them this season). As I said last week, (and I know the transfer window is still open), but failing to substantially improve what is a championship level defence as a number one priority and to still be in that position three games in is suicidal and incredibly poor planning by the Norwich management. The investments up front appear solid and look to have real potential - but without a solid backline and midfield behind them then the club is sending them into a hopeless battle. 

I think Brentford have a championship level defence tbh. Pontus Jansen is suspect, and Pinnock had some poor moments last season. The difference is, your midfield in front has a good mix of technique, power, and fitness. Which is able to press very effectively and play football when in possession. It's also a strategy and formation you have stuck with and perfected. Recruited players slot straight in. 

Our problem is that we've decided to change formation from one that's proved successful to mitigate the loss of Skipp and Buendia. And then have this weird mix of players, who you' can't really label in terms of their preferred position or player type, and then tried to make it fit. PLM and Gilmour to name two. 

The key thing for Brentford is avoiding an injury crisis.  

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

18 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Is that the VAR that overturned a penalty decision in our favour?

Look, we just lost again. Yes I'm talking bollox but I'm allowed an ill informed rant for a short while Shirley. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BigGrantsTash said:

We will concede at least 2 goals in 95% of our league games this season. Can we score 3 goals in enough games to pick up points this year? 

Simply not true, I'll bookmark this 😉

Still in the City watching the Scousers, got a feeling I'm going to be even more pissed off when watching MOTD later and seeing that disallowed goal. Got to be pleased with the performance in the main, but have to score when we're on top which we were for a majority of that game. Not sure there's been more undeserved winners of a game than Leicester today.. 

Mr Farke isn't going to rip up his preferred system after three games all against top five teams from last season, he will be giving it time to bed in having endured a nightmare pre season and will probably have a new signing to use by the middle of the week. He will be far less knee jerk reactionary than many on here.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Biggest problem is both Sargant and Idah had golden chances that were open goals that they missed. We should have at the very least had a point.

Open goals? Both were half chances at best. Get a grip. 

3 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Mr Farke isn't going to rip up his preferred system after three games all against top five teams from last season, he will be giving it time to bed in having endured a nightmare pre season and will probably have a new signing to use by the middle of the week. He will be far less knee jerk reactionary than many on here.

So how many games? If we lose to a shell shocked Arsenal next week do we carry on regardless?

Sooooo, is anyone else concerned with Max Aarons, or is it more that he's had no protection in front of him with no right wing player being selected? 

I still don’t accept that goal was offside.

“preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent's line of vision”

is the rule in terms of when a player is interfering with play. 

5 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I still don’t accept that goal was offside.

“preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent's line of vision”

is the rule in terms of when a player is interfering with play. 

Its bullsh!t ..if Cantwell had prevented Schmeichel from saving the ball you could understand it, but Schmeichel was in the centre of the goal and the ball was headed into the corner, he wasnt prevented from diving for it..

Biggest cause for optimism is that we improved throughout the game. Difficult not to mind, Hanley being pressed into giving away a corner,& the build up to the goal being particularly abject examples of our sluggish opening. But if we can achieve the levels we did in the 2nd half (& particularly after their goal) we'll be at least competitive.

Long, long ways to go yet.