Sign in to follow this  
RobNewman'sblisteringpace

Do last minute transfers ever work?

While it seems better to get a player in early, Norwich have had mixed success with late transfers.

The good:

Grant Hanley

Ben Gibson (loan)

The bad:

Yanic Wilschut

Mitchel Dykes (loan)

The ugly:

Ignasi Miquel

Jos Hooiveld (loan)

Hopefully we get it right this time.

2 minutes ago, RobNewman'sblisteringpace said:

While it seems better to get a player in early, Norwich have had mixed success with late transfers.

The good:

Grant Hanley

Ben Gibson (loan)

The bad:

Yanic Wilschut

Mitchel Dykes (loan)

The ugly:

Ignasi Miquel

Jos Hooiveld (loan)

Was Mitchell Dijks actually a bad signing?

Harry Kane was a disastrous last minute signing but fortunately only a loan. Rob Earnshaw was also done in the final couple of hours but he did well.

14 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Harry Kane was a disastrous last minute signing but fortunately only a loan. Rob Earnshaw was also done in the final couple of hours but he did well.

In the last minute of the 2016 transfer window we signed some unknown kid called James Maddison..........................

• Like 1

Worth noting that there is a difference between last minute transfers and transfers that have rumbled on for some time and only completed on deadline day.

I always like 'arry Redknapps story about Benjani. 

3 minutes ago, chicken said:

Worth noting that there is a difference between last minute transfers and transfers that have rumbled on for some time and only completed on deadline day.

I always like 'arry Redknapps story about Benjani. 

Speaking of Redknapp, he signed Niko Kranjcar on deadline day on four separate occasions. I'm unsure if that's a compliment to Kranjcar or not.

That good, bad and ugly grouping is more indicative of the people in charge than the timing.   Timing/Last minute has nothing to do with it IMO.

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The way he's turned out a permanent move would have been a far better result...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RobNewman'sblisteringpace said:

The good:

Grant Hanley

Ben Gibson (loan)

The bad:

Yanic Wilschut

Mitchel Dykes (loan)

The ugly:

Ignasi Miquel

Jos Hooiveld (loan)

Dijks was decent

1 hour ago, cornish sam said:

The way he's turned out a permanent move would have been a far better result...

I'm not convinced Hughton would've turned him into a 25-goal striker at Norwich, however.

49 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Who the hell is Ignasi Miquel??? 

Which pretty much sums up his signing. Didn't we pay £1.5m or so for him? He ended up playing two cup games before his contract was cancelled by mutual consent.

37 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Steve Walsh? 

I’d blame my lack of memory on the fact I’d just started drinking then, but did he even play? 

Just now, Dr Greenthumb said:

I’d blame my lack of memory on the fact I’d just started drinking then, but did he even play? 

A couple of games and excelled at Wolves. 

...not a deadline deal, but wasn't Hucks a last minute loan, and I seem to remember him being quite a "hit"?! I'm sure it was a week or two into September? I know this as I'd just stumbled out of Pacha in Ibiza and saw a text from an elated pal.  

4 hours ago, RobNewman'sblisteringpace said:

The good:

Grant Hanley

Ben Gibson (loan)

The bad:

Yanic Wilschut

Mitchel Dykes (loan)

The ugly:

Ignasi Miquel

Jos Hooiveld (loan)

Harry Kane also last minute!

3 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Who the hell is Ignasi Miquel??? 

Spanish CB we picked up from Arsenal, I think Ken. Pretty sure if he was still playing today then Edu and the Arsenal recruitment team would probably try to sign him again for €50mil this window

Edited by Alex Moss

10 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Spanish CB we picked up from Arsenal, I think Ken. Pretty sure if he was still playing today then Edu and the Arsenal recruitment team would probably try to sign him again for €50mil this window

He is still playing, and as much as he wasn't a success here, he has actually fetched far higher transfer fees.

According to Wikipedia, Getafe brought him in as Buendia left for greener pastures... They signed him from Malaga for €3.5m, though soccerbase says £4.5m... Nothing to say why they saw that value in him as it's not like he had played a lot of football but there you go.

At 28, still has plenty of football left in him. 

24 minutes ago, chicken said:

He is still playing, and as much as he wasn't a success here, he has actually fetched far higher transfer fees.

According to Wikipedia, Getafe brought him in as Buendia left for greener pastures... They signed him from Malaga for €3.5m, though soccerbase says £4.5m... Nothing to say why they saw that value in him as it's not like he had played a lot of football but there you go.

At 28, still has plenty of football left in him. 

Interesting, didn’t realise he was still playing - seemed like an age ago he was here with us, but thinking about it, it wouldn’t have been that long ago if it was during the Neil reign. Still, looks like he’s a steady enough if unspectacular career, but Arsenal clearly made the right decision on him though, he was never going to be a starter for them.

3 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

He was terrible.

Juan Velasco was sh1t an all

Edited by FatCanary