birchfest

Transfers that dragged on but came to nothing hall of fame

This mornings links have given me a little chuckle after the initial excitement was replaced by the realisation we have been drawn in on a bit of a non starter. Now don’t get me wrong this is a bit of a flash, but it got me thinking about some of those ‘bigger names’ we have been linked with, sometimes almost to saga length of time levels, only for it to come to nothing. My hall of fame nominations for ‘transfers that dragged on but came to nothing’ are:

Craig  Mackail-Smith, who gets extra points for his role in doing this over several windows, a remarkable achievement 

Ola Toivonen, he really didn’t want to come here did he, deary me that one dragged on. Then he went to Sunderland. Mad man.

Fabio Quagliarella, almost… if only we could have offer him the €100,000 a week! Still, he has the highest viewed thread on here, almost comparable to his wage demands. If only we could pay him with views

Shola Ameobi…. He never was in the building was he

come on, who else… 

Edited by birchfest

David Turnbull last time we were in the prem went on for ages, and had so many twists and turns

Toby Alderweireld 

Koulibaly 

Lucas Biglia 

Craig Noone

Ross McCormick

Sebastian Haller 

Just now, AJ said:

Toby Alderweireld 

Koulibaly 

Lucas Biglia 

Craig Noone

Ross McCormick

Sebastian Haller 

Ohh Bigila, cracking one that, well remember.

I’ve got another..

Miroslav Klose

Linked with Dwight Gayle most years, so as nothing this summer he's definitely on his way. 

Great thread, though I would point out that Sunderland were probably paying the kit man about £197,000 p/w that season so I'm sure Toivonen's bank balance didn't regret that decision.

Edited by 1902
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 1902 said:

Great thread, though I would point out that Sunderland were probably paying the kit man about £197,000 p/w that season so I'm sure Toivonen's bank balance didn't regret that decision.

Just seen it was only a loan apparently, now I'm in full agreement!

I think Dennis Man makes onto the list, I mean he even got Webber out to Romania… quite the coup for the young man! 

Do players that have loaned to us count? There's a few which rumbled on for permanent deals in recent years; Fraser Forster, Kyle Naughton, Dani Pacheco came up quite a lot, Jordan Rhodes, and of course Oliver Skipp

1 minute ago, AJ said:

Do players that have loaned to us count? There's a few which rumbled on for permanent deals in recent years; Fraser Forster, Kyle Naughton, Dani Pacheco came up quite a lot, Jordan Rhodes, and of course Oliver Skipp

Yeah why not. 

In which case Alan Lee, I wonder how many were gutted we didn’t get him on a permanent and instead scrapped the barrel for some chap… Grant Colt… something like that.

11 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Who was the one that Roeder spent all summer trying to buy and failed? Iverson, something like that?

Stefan Iverson, from Spurs (or wolves) can't remember who he was playing for at the time. 

• Thanks 1

Dare I mention a certain ex-Spurs, ex-Swansea and apparently currently suspended from Everton midfielder. Pretty glad we missed that one…

Already been mentioned but Ross McCormack. I can't help but think this one would have turned out very differently for him had he had joined us over Villa.

Edited by KeiranShikari

10 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Already been mentioned but Ross McCormack. I can't help but think this one would have turned out very differently for him had he had joined us over Villa.

Is that because most houses round here don't have gated fronts 🤔

• Haha 1

I’m pretty sure we had a period where Brit Assombalonga was constantly on the verge of having a mega bid put in for him from us.

18 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Is that because most houses round here don't have gated fronts 🤔

I got the impression he was the sort of player that needed to be loved and it obviously went wrong at villa long before gate.....gate.

Still makes me laugh that he had Usain Bolt as a strike partner one preseason out in Australia a couple of years later.

16 minutes ago, birchfest said:

I’m pretty sure we had a period where Brit Assombalonga was constantly on the verge of having a mega bid put in for him from us.

I remember that one. Felt like he was 'just about to sign!' anyday.. Probably ended up being a good thing he didnt given how he's ended up

2 hours ago, birchfest said:

Craig  Mackail-Smith, who gets extra points for his role in doing this over several windows, a remarkable achievement

Linked with him when in the prem. I remember thinking it would be a very underwhelming signing for that league. 

1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

That one didn’t even get out of the gate - a running theme with McCormack 😂