Maltesecanary

William Carvalho 👀 👀

8 minutes ago, WSM said:

Fernandinho still one of the best in the league at DM at 36...

also big fan of Bethnal but his first reaction to Sargent being linked was "noooooooooo" and he's looked pretty sharp so far so I will reserve judgement

He's clearly still a very good player, people are just disappointed with his performances sometimes as he was meant to be one of the best in the world in his position

That's true - I'd watched him a number of times in Germany but he never really stood out and just looked plain bad at times. I did a bit more research after the link really firmed up and have come around to him a bit - hopefully the change of club will help. USMNT fans have said he is a confidence player, and it seems the move has really pepped him up a bit. Hopefully that lasts and he can continue to impress.

I'm really not sure what type of midfielder Norwich want, Noramm and Carvalho are really different types of players - and neither is someone you plonk in front of the defence to sweep stuff up - which Fernandinho is really good at. 

• Like 1

Carvalho strikes me as an older version of Gilmour, Normann looks essentially like a McLean.

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Carvalho strikes me as an older version of Gilmour, Normann looks essentially like a McLean.

Carvalho looks like Gilmor? You mean aside from them being different races, aside from Carvalho being almost twice Gilmours size, aside from them playing in different positions 😉

4 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

That's true - I'd watched him a number of times in Germany but he never really stood out and just looked plain bad at times. I did a bit more research after the link really firmed up and have come around to him a bit - hopefully the change of club will help. USMNT fans have said he is a confidence player, and it seems the move has really pepped him up a bit. Hopefully that lasts and he can continue to impress.

I'm really not sure what type of midfielder Norwich want, Noramm and Carvalho are really different types of players

Yeah almost like they have a range and will just adapt when they have a full squad ie with Normann might play Gilmour at the base - with a Carvalho type they play him higher

Must admit I don't think Gilmour is a defensive enforcer - not been tooooo impressed with him thus far but I am sure he will come good and be fab for us

Carvalho strikes me as an older version of Gilmour

Does a bulldozer look like a mini cooper to you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Carvalho looks like Gilmor? You mean aside from them being different races, aside from Carvalho being almost twice Gilmours size, aside from them playing in different positions 😉

Playing style only, and especially what was said by Bethnal about his strength nowadays being his ability to beat a press with his passing from deep.

Bethnal wrote this in the transfer rumour thread:

"Not really sure Carvalho is the player Norwich need. His performances have really slipped over the past few seasons (which is why Betis are pretty desperate to get rid) and he is someone who needs a more mobile, destructive player alongside him. His main strength now is his composure and ability to dictate tempo and play through a press. While he is positionally sound, he is slow and lost all his dynamism from 4/5 years back.

It is an exciting name, but maybe not a suitable fit for Norwich right now."

That sounds exactly like Gilmour - dictating tempo and playing through a press.

3 minutes ago, WSM said:

Yeah almost like they have a range and will just adapt when they have a full squad ie with Normann might play Gilmour at the base - with a Carvalho type they play him higher

Must admit I don't think Gilmour is a defensive enforcer - not been tooooo impressed with him thus far but I am sure he will come good and be fab for us

He's not a defensive enforcer. Gilmour's a deep-lying playmaker in essence. He's there because he can pick and indeed demand the ball in tight spaces and beat presses when he's on his game so when we try to play our way out from the back, he's the out ball with the aim of progressing it up the field, often a short ball to one of the box-to-box guys, hence Lees-Melou, McLean, or Rupp.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Playing style only, and especially what was said by Bethnal about his strength nowadays being his ability to beat a press with his passing from deep.

Bethnal wrote this in the transfer rumour thread:

"Not really sure Carvalho is the player Norwich need. His performances have really slipped over the past few seasons (which is why Betis are pretty desperate to get rid) and he is someone who needs a more mobile, destructive player alongside him. His main strength now is his composure and ability to dictate tempo and play through a press. While he is positionally sound, he is slow and lost all his dynamism from 4/5 years back.

It is an exciting name, but maybe not a suitable fit for Norwich right now."

That sounds exactly like Gilmour - dictating tempo and playing through a press.

Think a lot of people haven't seen Carvalho for a while, he was out for 9 months with a couple of injuries and that seems to have really impacted his ability to cover ground. He gets beaten one on one a lot for a defensive midfielder, but is very good a threading a through ball, and is pretty good at taking a player on himself. 

He isn't a bad player, but he certainly isn't a midfield enforcer - but then no one Norwich have been linked to fills that role so suspect they aren't actually looking for that type of player. 

• Like 1

He's more Billing than Makelele that's for sure.

and yes, the deepest position in the midfield is almost certainly going to stay Gilmour's.

1 minute ago, KeiranShikari said:

and yes, the deepest position in the midfield is almost certainly going to stay Gilmour's.

Really don't think with WC's pace he would do the box to box thing as much

I had assumed he just sat in front of the defence putting out fires and then playing the ball to those who could play but maybe I am mistaken

2 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Think a lot of people haven't seen Carvalho for a while, he was out for 9 months with a couple of injuries and that seems to have really impacted his ability to cover ground. He gets beaten one on one a lot for a defensive midfielder, but is very good a threading a through ball, and is pretty good at taking a player on himself. 

He isn't a bad player, but he certainly isn't a midfield enforcer - but then no one Norwich have been linked to fills that role so suspect they aren't actually looking for that type of player. 

Thanks, so how do you think they envisage us working? I can understand a deep lying Gilmour dictating play with two box to box midfielders in front of him when we are on the ball and can control games a bit.

I just don't know how we then deal when we need to defend given that we will face periods under the cosh this season.

From what I have seen of him recently, he doesn't seem very mobile and quite seems quite slow, we need a play that can cover the ground and win back the ball. 

It would be a no from me 

1 minute ago, KeiranShikari said:

Although in the cup win Sörensen went there and Gilmour went further up when he came off the bench, but that will probably just be a defensive option when closing games out only, I suspect.

Not really sure Carvalho is the player Norwich need

100% the player Norwich need...

What are Carvalho's stats this season?

Carvalho has featured regularly for Betis this year, appearing in 21 top-flight matches. 

He has scored twice in La Liga in 2020/21, including against Real Madrid back in September. By contrast, Ruben Neves has netted five times in the Premier League for Wolves, whilst Joao Moutinho and Leander Dendoncker have only found the net once between them.

Carvalho's dribbling numbers are also impressive. As per WhoScored, he has completed 18 successful dribbles this term. Moutinho and Neves have recorded 10 and 9, respectively.

What did Alex Goncalves say about Carvalho?

Analysing Carvalho's game for Tuga Scout, Alex Goncalves broke down what makes the Portuguese international such an in-demand talent.

He said: "Though he doesn't have a great deal of pace it simply doesn't matter. Every other attribute you require in a box to box type player is near perfect, and his all-round class means that even if he does sometimes seem to just stroll about the pitch, he's almost always in full control of the midfield battle and in the right place at the right time.

"And when he's in possession and charging forward, he's very difficult to stop."

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I haven't and that's interesting. Makes it seem even less likely.

The fact that the Pinkun are saying maybe but probably not instead of just yes or no makes me think this really has just been put out there to help something else along.

Edited by KeiranShikari

1 minute ago, 1902 said:

Thanks, so how do you think they envisage us working? I can understand a deep lying Gilmour dictating play with two box to box midfielders in front of him when we are on the ball and can control games a bit.

I just don't know how we then deal when we need to defend given that we will face periods under the cosh this season.

The two box-to-box guys will be required to sit deep when under constant pressure, maybe even deeper than Gilmour to protect the defence, and then break forward on attacks, it is a really demanding role though. The Man City game saw McLean and Rupp in line with the central defenders at times. 

There have also been hints that Farke wants Norwich to press higher at times this season, so the two box-to-box guys will do that with Gilmour behind if the press is broken. PLM's defensive abilities should not be overlooked - he had one of the highest rates for tackles and interceptions in France last year and is already leading the Norwich squad for those.

Against Bournemouth McLean sat almost as deep as Gilmour throughout the game, it created a sort of lopsided 4-2-3-1, with Rupp on the other side pushing up and Dowell drifting to the centre. The high press in that game created most of the goals, forcing defensive errors.

Basically, it seems that there are loads of different things going on in the midfield. Normann, who is very versatile fits into that well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

I haven't and that's interesting. Makes it seem even less likely.

The fact that the Pinkun are saying maybe but probably not instead of just yes or no makes me think this really has just been put out there to help something else along.

Betis really want to shift him and there could be a potential bargain there - so can see why Norwich would have a look and speak to his agent to see if he is interested. Suspect this story coming out is to get his name out there as the window comes to a close and make other teams worry they might be missing out on something.

Carvalho in that video looks like me after about 50mins of a 5-a-side when we're 6 goals down..

13 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

How fast was Alex Tettey? 

He was quick enough getting in the refs notebook.

I jokingly mentioned Carvalho a couple of weeks back as there was a flight heading to Seville.

Maybe it does have legs. Would be a fantastic signing and certainly clear the coffers a bit.

2 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

ALERT! ALERT! ALERT!

Anyone on Flight Radar 24 or Nodge Airport Watch?.....Are there any Cessna Citation's parked at a jaunty angle?.....Get the NCFC supporting Timothy Potters (Aircraft Spotters) with their Aircraft Waveband scanners and binoculars down to the ends of that runway.....WE NEED MORE INFO!......

C'mon Y'all.....Let's get organised!....

Red arrows just been through again!!

HTH

We don't need anymore box to box... we simply need two players that can sit in front of the defence, win possession, cover the full-backs space so they can get forward with some insurance and keep the ball moving.....   would prefer we had two of them for the season than one and another centre-half.    This has been the priority for 3 seasons only addressed once by the loan of Skipp.   Evidence suggests Daniel is confident in Lungi to carry out this role.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Still faster than me

Not at starting a thread! 🙂 

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

How fast was Alex Tettey? 

Maybe Norman should ring Rosenborg and ask his compatriot what its like playing for Norwich as a DM,  although there still remains the presumed thorny subject of relegation to the Champs, which Rostov, City and Norman himself all seem to have a different stance on.

Norman, Cavalho, Camara (only maybe)...names bandied around but with 5 days left, although DF says he remains confident of getting business done the scenario that time runs out and we go with what we  have becomes ever more likely of course. Meanwhile, Lungi scratches his head and ponders...

Every club in the world will have some form of COVID fianncial bill to pay I would have thought and maybe Beria need to lose a player or two to make the accountant happy?

5 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

Every club in the world will have some form of COVID fianncial bill to pay I would have thought and maybe Beria need to lose a player or two to make the accountant happy?

Carvalho is one of Betis' highest paid players and not first choice - they definitely want him gone (and have been trying to shift him for a while now). 

40 year old Joaquin is still churning out the seasons at Betis, wow.

They were my team on PES back in the mid 00s with Sobis, Odonkor and Capi.

6 hours ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Perhaps the Red Arrows will be bringing him in today 😁

By strange coincidence the Red Arrows flew right over Tim Krul's house today. It was quite noisy.