Sign in to follow this  
FatCanary

Am I shafted for booze?

No, that's no philosophical question of my morals and libido

I want to go for a few beers in the Fine City before the game Saturday. I'd usually just go in the ground an hour prior but am gonna make a bit of a day of it.

How shafted am I if I haven't booked in anywhere by now, and what do you recommend?

Thanks all

Edited by FatCanary
The game isn't tomorrow. Lol

Go wherever you like FatCanary as virtually all pubs are back to pre covid times except an odd one or two that still might insist on table service.

• Like 1

Some are more strict than others, e.g I think the Murderers is but happy to be corrected on that.

Fat Cat & Canary is a free for all and will be rammed. 

You can then go and take your germs into the stadium for good measure 😷

48 minutes ago, FatCanary said:

No, that's no philosophical question of my morals and libido

I want to go for a few beers in the Fine City before the game Saturday. I'd usually just go in the ground an hour prior but am gonna make a bit of a day of it.

How shafted am I if I haven't booked in anywhere by now, and what do you recommend?

Thanks all

Why would anyone want to be in the ground an hour before K.O normally? 

17 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

When I was a wee lad and went with my grandad, we used to get there at 130. Literally as soon as the turnstiles opened we went in. Used to read the programme and watch the players warm up. Sad we grow up and times change 😔

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ward 3 said:

When I was a wee lad and went with my grandad, we used to get there at 130. Literally as soon as the turnstiles opened we went in. Used to read the programme and watch the players warm up. Sad we grow up and times change 😔

Yes so did I back in the day, no excuse now though 😉

• Like 1

Can't wait for my boys to get a bit older and do the same with them!! Nothing better than a football day. Home or away, will cost though mind 🤔 

Just now, Ward 3 said:

Can't wait for my boys to get a bit older and do the same with them!! Nothing better than a football day. Home or away, will cost though mind 🤔 

Get them young and they stick with the team for life. Hot chips and bonding deeply with dad (or grandad)  is wonderful. 

• Like 1

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

Get them young and they stick with the team for life. Hot chips and bonding deeply with dad (or grandad)  is wonderful. 

Already got them both city shirts. No way in hell are they supporting the boys just over 40 miles away in blue. Or anyone else. I'm city through and through, so will they be

4 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Used to love getting in there early, finding your favourite spot and watch as the ground gradually filled up until the bulk of the ground was full 30 minutes before kick off, atmosphere building all the time, the noise building up to when the teams come out. Now it's either go and quietly sit in your place until five minutes before kick off, or go into a concrete bunker for pre-match "atmosphere".  Much better to have the atmosphere in the ground rather than in the half light of the concourse.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Already got them both city shirts. No way in hell are they supporting the boys just over 40 miles away in blue. Or anyone else. I'm city through and through, so will they be

That’s the way, get them in the kits ASAP. My daughter nicked my 60s retro shirt off me in her early teens and still wears it now at Uni. 

• Like 1

In a restaurant on the Costa brava si forgive me.

In my first days no warm.ups put over the fence in front of what is now the snake pit. Health and safety!!. Inno particular order son1 born in Leicester season ticket holder.son 2 goes when he can . Grandson 1 born in Bedford been to Gillingham and Bournemouth this year. Granddaughet 1 step 5 15 year old football player born on bedford season ticket holder. Grandson 2 born near Luton goes to Luton academy in his Norwich kit. Grandson 3 aged 6 pointed out he had his Tim krul kit on. My dad former season ticket holder. My mother in law aged 91 listens to the radio norfolk commentary every match. In October 2024 God willing I will celebrate 70 yerS of watching city. Hope there is a family more committed.

59 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

That’s the way, get them in the kits ASAP. My daughter nicked my 60s retro shirt off me in her early teens and still wears it now at Uni. 

For some reason I thought you were around my age. A daughter at University suggests not. Is she taking a course in how to wind up Hogesar so you have a natural successor? 😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ward 3 said:

In the good old days when we had leather balls can’t ever remember players coming out before the kickoff to warm up.
Can’t remember  who it was but one of the players used to to stub out his cigarette just by the tunnel 

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

For a couple of beers in these times where I've  assumed you still have to book and the queue at the Queen of Iceni spoons looked like id never get in let alone a pint. Thanks all for the advice though!

Also found prior to Liverpool that Yellows was well booked up in advance. Didn't know it worked like that and assumed it was a Covid thing 

FatCanary may I give a courtesy (or courteous) suggestion?

Maybe you can try the "Fat Cat and Canary" on Thorpe Road? You don't have to book and it is a match day City Fan pub and has plenty of outdoor and covered seating (and they do good grub if you get the yum yum munchies) and have a plethora of decent ales.....It can get quite busy on match-days but is less than 10 mins walkies from Carra Rud.....You can even take a selfie in front of the Pub's impressive Daniel Farke mural..... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hogesar said:

For some reason I thought you were around my age. A daughter at University suggests not. Is she taking a course in how to wind up Hogesar so you have a natural successor? 😀

You can give it but can also take it. She wouldn’t waste her time on here I’m sure. 

We always go to the Wig & Pen before the match. They've got a big marquee out the front that's usually rammed with Norwich fans, and the food is decent too. Bit of a trek to the ground, but always nice to walk through the Cathedral grounds en route to Carra.

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

@FatCanaryhow abouThe Coach and Horses on Thorpe Road or The Red Lion on Bishopbridge as both are used by City fans ?

The C&H is a good call but gets even more rammed match days with no over-spill like the Fat Cat and Canary has....Is the Red Lion open and functioning again?....It was boarded up for a long period?.....

4 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

The C&H is a good call but gets even more rammed match days with no over-spill like the Fat Cat and Canary has....Is the Red Lion open and functioning again?....It was boarded up for a long period?.....

Indeed it is... has been taken over by Nick De'Ath, who also runs the Unthank Arms. Was in there a few weeks ago and it's very pleasant, as you'd expect from one of Nick's boozers.

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

Indeed it is... has been taken over by Nick De'Ath, who also runs the Unthank Arms. Was in there a few weeks ago and it's very pleasant, as you'd expect from one of Nick's boozers.

May have to have a shufty sometime......I haven't been down that way for a long long while.....Cycled past quite a few months ago to go and see the peregrines and their offspring at the Cathedral.....

4 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

The Red Lion refurbished by Nick D'eath who runs The Unthank Arms, The Trafford and The William & Florence and opened again about two moths ago.Plenty of City fans there for the Liverpool game.

Edited by TIL 1010

3 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

With a name like that he sounds a right hard b*stard 🙂

3 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

It's a very nice pub. Plenty of real ales and seating outside at the front overlooking the ancient bridge and a smaller area out the back overlooking the river. In it's previous incarnation it got busy but punters were usually quickly served and the food was decent too

It was a shock to hear that it closed down for a while.

Bit of a schlep to the ground, get in and get seated - used to allow around 25/30 min - but it's well worth a visit.