Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Buendia or Rashica, Sargent and Tzolis?

Tried to do this as a poll, but just can't get it to work. Question asked because the reported Buendia fee of £33 million is approximately the total we spent on Rashica, Sargent and Tzolis. 

Answer A, B or C.

A. Buendia

B. Rashica, Sargent and Tzolis

C. Too early to tell. 

Edited by Thirsty Lizard
Incapable of spelling Buendia correctly.

Is this a game to see how many different ways you can spell Buendia wrong in one post? 

I genuinely believe Tzolis will end up better than Buendia, so even if the other two end up a dud we still win 🤣

19 minutes ago, Haus said:

Is this a game to see how many different ways you can spell Buendia wrong in one post? 

Luckily I always reread my posts after making them and so edited it before you posted.

What's your answer? 

• Like 1

C

Trouble is, Option A isn't really valid as it would be a very unhappy Buendia if we forced him to stay, so B would almost be the default option.   Y'know, to be pedantic 🙂

I'm not really sure I get this. When Villa said they had replaced Grealish with three players my first thought was 'have they changed to allow them to play 13 players?'.

Similarly we can only play one of the players mentioned to replace Emi.

Just now, A Load of Squit said:

I think the OP was hoping that we just voted and they'd count them up.  At least put an option at the top of your post ^.  As for replacing Emi, you can make a team/squad overall stronger/secure by replacing one player with many - which is the underlying question being asked here - it's not rocket science.

Buendia on his own wouldn't have kept us up. I think we have a chance with the additional squad depth brought on by the extra funds. So B for me.

13 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

I'm not really sure I get this. When Villa said they had replaced Grealish with three players my first thought was 'have they changed to allow them to play 13 players?'.

Don't get your comment.

I was careful how I worded the question - I didn't use the word 'replace'.

And to turn your point on it's head - if Buendia was injured or suspended he couldn't play at all. If (say) Rashica was injured or suspended we'd still have Sargent and Tzolis available.

Overall - who would you sooner have - Buendia or Rashica, Sargent and Tzolis? 

9 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Don't get your comment.

I was careful how I worded the question - I didn't use the word 'replace'.

And to turn your point on it's head - if Buendia was injured or suspended he couldn't play at all. If (say) Rashica was injured or suspended we'd still have Sargent and Tzolis available.

Overall - who would you sooner have - Buendia or Rashica, Sargent and Tzolis? 

I think its a fair comment as only one of those three players would feature in place of Buendia in the starting 11, the other 2 players would only be available at the expense of someone else who's still here (i.e. Cantwell and Pukki)? 

So its certainly debatable as to whether our starting 11 has improved (in terms of our front 3/4). 

However its very clear that the 2 'additional' options on top of Buendia's replacement give us much greater strength in depth. 

17 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

C but probably b. Especially if A doesn't pull up trees at VIlla (obviously)

I don't think you can draw too much from Buendia's Villa performances, a former player struggling at a new club could go wrong for a whole host of reasons, even playing in the same league. I really don't think anyone could doubt him continuing to be our main man this season. 

I guess we will best know by the end of the season when we've truly seen the contributions of our 3 new players and how competitive they have made us.

If only one of them features regularly with Pukki and Cantwell still the preferred choices throughout the majority of the season then I will probably go with option A. 

If two or more of them feature regularly and perform well then option B. 

Poll would have been better without adding the only one we know to be currently factually correct, the obvious and boring ‘C’!

Will stick with the same opinion I had when he got his move, we’ll turn these 3 into far more value than what we received for Buendia.

C , easy answer...great young players, but haven't proved themselves in the PL yet 

But I'm confident they will though

I've got this weird feeling that Tzolis on his own is going to be as good as Buendia in the long run. Whether or not that happens fast enough to make a difference this season is less clear. With all three I find it highly likely that at least one of them will have a big impact this season but obviously time will tell. Put me down as a B/C.

• Like 1

C at the moment, however Buendia hasn't done much for Villa as of yet so who knows how it'll turn out for him too.

Before the window I would have wanted him to stay, but got to say we've invested the money very well for the future as much as now. If we sign a decent DM before the window closes then I am fairly happy with our efforts 

B, but you need to add Lees-Melou as well. £8+8+9= 27. Add 3.5 plus little bits from others.

B. 

The Club/ squad is stronger now  imo. That's all that counts for me. Players come and go. Green and yellow is foreva.

1 hour ago, chicken said:

B, but you need to add Lees-Melou as well. £8+8+9= 27. Add 3.5 plus little bits from others.

Well 8+8+9 actually equals 25 so I guess your point is even more valid than you thought. 

B purely because we have historical evidence that Emi on his own isn't enough to keep us up, and we wouldn't have signed them all if Emi had stayed.

Which then begs the question who would we have signed,  as there is an alternative that, assuming Emi was happy to stay (I know he wasn't, but for purposes of this) would we have been better off with Emi and Sargent, or Emi and Tzolis, etc.

I really back Emi but Villa fans not massively impressed so far. Way too early to call that but we know all too well the fickle nature of football fans (see this forum from one day to the next)