Sign in to follow this  
essex canary

Affordable Football

Well done to the Club last night not only for an excellent football performance but for getting 20,000 people in the ground at prices which gave everyone including young people a chance to see many of the new signings. This was the Clubs best affordable football success since the subsidised bus trips to Wigan. The turnstiles in the South Stand worked well too.

It just leaves the questions as to why one of the most travelled sets of supporters in the country have a pay wall for away ticket access and will be charging a standard adult casual price of £48 this Saturday for a match at which £30 was charged only 18 months ago?

• Like 5

It's a fair question.  I was originally planning to come down to the Liverpool match, but when I found out the price of £48, it did affect my decision not to travel in the end as the cost was already high for travelling even without the cost of the ticket. It does seem a bit high.  If I was local, I would have less complaint, but combining all the costs of travel (fuel is at a ridiculous price at the moment) and a ticket, it made it look too expensive to justify going. 

Agreed, I've always said for these cup games having 20000+ paying a tenner is better than 8000 paying £25. Better atmosphere, more people buying things in the shop and food outlets, it's a total no brainer.

Never seen so many young kids in the Barclay, how many of them was it their first game? Or are even Man Utd etc "fans" that might now follow Norwich instead? 

Edited by Ken Hairy

I guess it’s supply and demand - the away ticket prices are still capped at £30 (Leicester have 2699 for Saturday that were all sold out) and there’s very few casual tickets left for any ‘standard’ game, so they can charge a higher price for them. Unfortunately it is what it is; travelling up from Surrey, I would certainly think very long and hard before paying £48 to go to a game but fortunately don’t have to as have my s/t (£20 for my 14 yr old is enough as it is!).

6 hours ago, essex canary said:

Well done to the Club last night not only for an excellent football performance but for getting 20,000 people in the ground at prices which gave everyone including young people a chance to see many of the new signings. This was the Clubs best affordable football success since the subsidised bus trips to Wigan. The turnstiles in the South Stand worked well too.

It just leaves the questions as to why one of the most travelled sets of supporters in the country have a pay wall for away ticket access and will be charging a standard adult casual price of £48 this Saturday for a match at which £30 was charged only 18 months ago?

It was a good gesture. However, how do you think those exciting new players and their salaries are paid for?

10 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

It was a good gesture. However, how do you think those exciting new players and their salaries are paid for?

Car boot sales......

29 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

TV money...... Inc advertising revenue. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Commonsense said:

The TV money in the Premier League is around £100 million a year, the standard gate money excluding commercial around £10 million. The ability to vary the latter less than £1 million. Maybe the common sense strategy would be to buy some goodwill?

19 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Ten per cent of all profit on concourse sales? 

Bit unfair for me as a season ticket holder to say supply and demand but I'm going to anyway.

The only way casuals stand a chance of sub £30 tickets in the prem will be if we expand the stadium and the supply is much closer to the demand.

As it is, we are in a league where our finances are already disproportionately low compared to the rest of the league. I dont think creating even more disparity for some "good will" at a time where the club has a good relationship with the fans anyway, is sensible.

11 hours ago, hogesar said:

Bit unfair for me as a season ticket holder to say supply and demand but I'm going to anyway.

The only way casuals stand a chance of sub £30 tickets in the prem will be if we expand the stadium and the supply is much closer to the demand.

As it is, we are in a league where our finances are already disproportionately low compared to the rest of the league. I dont think creating even more disparity for some "good will" at a time where the club has a good relationship with the fans anyway, is sensible.

Had the last Premier League season have been completed a casual attendee unable to buy a season ticket but determined to attend each game (which according to the Ticket Office manager would have been possible) would have paid out £570 at a charge of £30 per game . This time round it will be £837. 

How will that help to incentivise the Club to expand the ground to treat these, probably predominantly young, customers fairly?

£40 max for a casual ticket for league games and £15/20 max in the league cup (eg Liverpool next round) would be fair enough with few complaints. £48 is just a bit naughty regardless if we’re self funding or not. 

There’s plenty of affordable football available.

The Premier League is elite level sport. Have a look at Wimbledon tickets, Royal Ascot etc

It isn’t cheap. 

• Like 1

It is a lot of money . Friend in the upper Barclay has bought a ticket .  But the key is he has bought it , so the old supply and demand argument applies

Personally I see it as inevitable to being in the prem. I do find the sneaky “booking fees” very annoying though that just seems like an add on to me. You can’t actually buy a £ 48 ticket there is a “web sales fee” of £1 . 

7 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

There’s plenty of affordable football available.

The Premier League is elite level sport. Have a look at Wimbledon tickets, Royal Ascot etc

It isn’t cheap. 

People want a first-class service but hate having to pay a first-class price. They can't have it both ways and it's something they have needed to suss out a long time ago. Not just football either. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

It is a lot of money . Friend in the upper Barclay has bought a ticket .  But the key is he has bought it , so the old supply and demand argument applies

Personally I see it as inevitable to being in the prem. I do find the sneaky “booking fees” very annoying though that just seems like an add on to me. You can’t actually buy a £ 48 ticket there is a “web sales fee” of £1 . 

The web sales fee is infuriating! However, you avoid it by ringing the ticket office instead, which is at least free now!...

48 minutes ago, The Engineer said:

The web sales fee is infuriating! However, you avoid it by ringing the ticket office instead, which is at least free now!...

And hope they answer....... 

On 25/08/2021 at 09:12, essex canary said:

I'm a bit confused by this post.

Are you claiming that Leicester at home on 28th Feb 2020 was £30 for home casual tickets?

As £30 is the cap on away ticket prices, agreed by all clubs in the league, it wouldn't make any sense to compare home casual ticket prices with away tickets would it? 

13 hours ago, essex canary said:

Had the last Premier League season have been completed a casual attendee unable to buy a season ticket but determined to attend each game (which according to the Ticket Office manager would have been possible) would have paid out £570 at a charge of £30 per game . This time round it will be £837. 

How will that help to incentivise the Club to expand the ground to treat these, probably predominantly young, customers fairly?

Well it will probably convince financiers that we can justify borrowing the £40m we need to rebuild the City stand and add 4000 seats. 

6 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'm a bit confused by this post.

Are you claiming that Leicester at home on 28th Feb 2020 was £30 for home casual tickets?

As £30 is the cap on away ticket prices, agreed by all clubs in the league, it wouldn't make any sense to compare home casual ticket prices with away tickets would it? 

Season before last (ie last epl one) Delia didn't want home fans paying more than away ones, which you rightly say have been capped at £30. 

That gesture hasn't been continued this season, so it's still £30 max for away fans, but £48 for home. 

1 minute ago, Greavsy said:

Season before last (ie last epl one) Delia didn't want home fans paying more than away ones, which you rightly say have been capped at £30. 

That gesture hasn't been continued this season, so it's still £30 max for away fans, but £48 for home. 

Ah ok. 

£48 is a lot of money, but then it costs a lot of money to fund a football club.

This is what a self-sufficient football club has to do.

I find it ironic that the fanbase supports the self-sufficient model, but then wants the club to find a way to subsidise home tickets.

The club only made a £2.1m year profit in that year in question, after not investing much in the squad. 

Perhaps this is what not having a gamblinjg sponsor requires us to do.

If you're going on your own, i don't find it all that bad at 48 quid.  But if you're a family with 2-3 kids, then the price is just too much, it becomes explosive at that point.

There should be a family option perhaps?  But then that's open to abuse and the club gets ripped off.

Hopefully we stay in Prem for a few seasons and make strides in expanding the capacity or safe standing, and this opens up more possibilities.

Edited by Google Bot

8 hours ago, The Engineer said:

Surely manning a phone line costs more than an online sale ? Makes no sense . 

6 hours ago, Google Bot said:

If you're going on your own, i don't find it all that bad at 48 quid.  But if you're a family with 2-3 kids, then the price is just too much, it becomes explosive at that point.

There should be a family option perhaps?  But then that's open to abuse and the club gets ripped off.

Hopefully we stay in Prem for a few seasons and make strides in expanding the capacity or safe standing, and this opens up more possibilities.

There are cheaper prices for U21's, plus kids a quid for cup games etc. I dont see the club can do much more in that respect with the current ST numbers and 'spare seats etc. not sure how its open to getting abused - I know for season tickets you have to prove age, and I would assume its the same for casuals, both young and old.

Also, safe standing does not increase capacity - one person safe standing takes up the same space as one seating. Its not the same as standing of old. Certainly wont be any cheaper either. Plus the expense of putting them in. Greg Pillinger explained it all and the clubs view on it before Covid struck. It was favourably viewed by the club though, but alas not  so hign on the agenda now id assume. 

I'm curious to find out how the cup game will be priced. Considering it's on TV and we played them last month I hope they don't take the ****.

1 minute ago, The Raptor said:

I'm curious to find out how the cup game will be priced. Considering it's on TV and we played them last month I hope they don't take the ****.

£20.00 should be about right id think. 

• Like 1

I have never seen so many kids at a match as on Tuesday night. The earlier kick-off time and attractive ticket prices were very welcome. It is a great shame that my family and others can't afford to watch Norwich play in the Premier League and have no chance of getting tickets.