ricardo

Ricardo's report v Bournemouth

Mrs Ricardo said "don't forget your lights", as we biked off down to CR this evening to run the rule over some of the new boys. Lucas Rupp was the only survivor from Saturdays debacle so I surmised it might be a bit of a "getting to know you" game. As I was soon to discover, it was anything but, and from the off everything looked nicely in synch.

There was little of note in the opening exchanges with Sargent bustling clear on the right to win a corner while at the other end a long ball from the left went right across the City six yard box without anyone getting a touch. However we didn't have long to wait for some real action as on 12 minutes McLean floated a long pass into space for Tzolis to run on to and the Greek lad was cool as a cucumber, taking the ball in his stride and guiding it past the keeper with the help of a slight deflection.

I have found over the years that it really doesn't take long to see if a young player has got what it takes and although I don't want to go over the top with Tzolis, anyone who couldn't see what I saw tonight is really wasting their time watching football. We were treated to it again on 25 minutes when his speed of thought and action found time for Dowell to set up Kenny McLean to thrash a twenty yarder just inside Nyland's left post. Bournemouth had dominated possession but never really got within striking range as City picked them apart with some deft passes. Tzolis was panicking the visitors defence by looking to run off the defenders shoulder everytime City came forward and it was no surpise just after the half hour when  his sharp cross found Rupp on the penalty spot to slam a in a third with the keeper helpless.

I don't want it to sound like a one man show because there were excellent contributions from Dowell and Sargent, while at the back Mumba, Zimbo, Williams and Omobamidelle were solid and seldom under any pressure and Sorenson was calmness itself in the centre of the park. However the real buzz came when the ball reached Tzolis, he just seemed capable of making things happen. I posted on the Pinkun thread at half time about his speed, balance and control, its hard to put into words but to me he just looks every inch a footballer. Wow! whoever scouted him should get a big Xmas bonus.

I wondered if the second half would live up to it but if anything City whipped the ball about even quicker and we were treated to some really good stuff. Dowell picked up a stray pass 30 yards out and his cute ball left Tzolis with a run on goal. Nyland managed to get a hand on it but Sargent was on hand to tuck in the deflection to get his own scoreboard up and running. Fifteen minutes later the big strker returned the favour by winning the ball on the edge of the Bournemouth area and sliding a low ball across for Tzolis to ram in his second of the night.

With a quarter of an hour to go nobody would have blamed Tzolis for going for his hat trick when bursting through on the left but he unselfishly fed Sargent who bundled home the sixth goal of the night. He might well have got his third but the next time he burst away he was just off target. Hmm, human after all.

Gianoullis, Idah and Gilmour all had little cameo's but I can really only talk about one man tonight. As my son remarked as we were leaving, "wherever did the find him for that price"?

Oh where indeed.

I got wet on the ride back but it was well worth a soaking to witness that.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 20

Tzolis certainly sounds like an exciting prospect. Hope both he and Sargent get decent time on Sat, reading the reports they seem to bring a bit of zing which Pukki and Cantwell sappear to have missed so far, opposition notwithstanding.

12 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Mrs Ricardo said "don't forget your lights", as we biked off down to CR this evening to run the rule over some of the new boys. Lucas Rupp was the only survivor from Saturdays debacle so I surmised it might be a bit of a "getting to know you" game. As I was soon to discover, it was anything but, and from the off everything looked nicely in synch.

There was little of note in the opening exchanges with Sargent bustling clear on the right to win a corner while at the other end a long ball from the left went right across the City six yard box without anyone getting a touch. However we didn't have long to wait for some real action as on 12 minutes McLean floated a long pass into space for Tzolis to run on to and the Greek lad was cool as a cucumber, taking the ball in his stride and guiding it past the keeper with the help of a slight deflection.

I have found over the years that it really doesn't take long to see if a young player has got what it takes and although I don't want to go over the top with Tzolis, anyone who couldn't see what I saw tonight is really wasting their time watching football. We were treated to it again on 25 minutes when his speed of thought and action found time for Dowell to set up Kenny McLean to thrash a twenty yarder just inside Nyland's left post. Bournemouth had dominated possession but never really got within striking range as City picked them apart with some deft passes. Tzolis was panicking the visitors defence by looking to run off the defenders shoulder everytime City came forward and it was no surpise just after the half hour when  his sharp cross found Rupp on the penalty spot to slam a in a third with the keeper helpless.

I don't want it to sound like a one man show because there were excellent contributions from Dowell and Sargent, while at the back Mumba, Zimbo, Williams and Omobamidelle were solid and seldom under any pressure and Sorenson was calmness itself in the centre of the park. However the real buzz came when the ball reached Tzolis, he just seemed capable of making things happen. I posted on the Pinkun thread at half time about his speed, balance and control, its hard to put into words but to me he just looks every inch a footballer. Wow! whoever scouted him should get a big Xmas bonus.

I wondered if the second half would live up to it but if anything City whipped the ball about even quicker and we were treated to some really good stuff. Dowell picked up a stray pass 30 yards out and his cute ball left Tzolis with a run on goal. Nyland managed to get a hand on it but Sargent was on hand to tuck in the deflection to get his own scoreboard up and running. Fifteen minutes later the big strker returned the favour by winning the ball on the edge of the Bournemouth area and sliding a low ball across for Tzolis to ram in his second of the night.

With a quarter of an hour to go nobody would have blamed Tzolis for going for his hat trick when bursting through on the left but he unselfishly fed Sargent who bundled home the sixth goal of the night. He might well have got his third but the next time he burst away he was just off target. Hmm, human after all.

Gianoullis, Idah and Gilmour all had little cameo's but I can really only talk about one man tonight. As my son remarked as we were leaving, "wherever did the find him for that price"?

Oh where indeed.

I got wet on the ride back but it was well worth a soaking to witness that.

At least one starter from tonight for Saturday then Ricardo or a couple more? 

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

At least one starter from tonight for Saturday then Ricardo or a couple more? 

Can't read Farkes mind but I'd be tempted to bring Tzolis on for twenty minutes.

Wouldn't surprise me if he did.

Rupp looked injured when he went off so I reckon Kenny will be a starter.

Great report as always Ricardo. Made me smile. 

I think he will start Sargant and Tzolis after those performances, but who knows? 

Think Kenny over Rupp is a given no matter what injury Rupp may have. I'm afraid he's not up to  Premiership level. 

The ball played about thirty five yards down the line by Williams with the outside of his foot to Tzolis early in the second half was absolutely brilliant.

• Like 1

Just now, TIL 1010 said:

The ball played about thirty five yards down the line by Williams with the outside of his foot to Tzolis early in the second half was absolutely brilliant.

Yes Tilly, I should have mentioned that, it was a thing of beauty.

I know it was weaker opposition but you had to be impressed by the general play tonight. Lovely to watch after a miserable weekend.

Tells me there are signs that things are slowly clicking into place with some of the newer players, standard of opposition notwithstanding.

21 minutes ago, Alfie54 said:

What about Williams, he looked superb? 

A bit of a shaky first half but grew into the game offering some very good width down the left whilst being solid defensively. Hard to say if he did with to displace Dimi but tonight's performance shows he definitely has the ability to. He could also look to form a very good bond with Tzolis

Just now, AJ said:

A bit of a shaky first half but grew into the game offering some very good width down the left whilst being solid defensively. Hard to say if he did with to displace Dimi but tonight's performance shows he definitely has the ability to. He could also look to form a very good bond with Tzolis

I was really impressed with Williams, him and Tzolis were like a marriage made in heaven down that left side, would start them both Sat

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, AJ said:

He was barely tested though as Bournemouth offered nothing, but he did look good and I'd probably go with him against Leicester.

Love your write ups Ricardo, they are legendary now. I only wish I could come remotely as close with your use of words. Better than I have seen in professional publications.

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

I don't want to go over the top with Tzolis

This in spades. I am really trying, like REALLY TRYING... but boy oh boy. No, STOP IT! It was almost pinch yourself stuff tonight. Not because he is the complete article just yet, but like Farke says... this is him NOW, at 19... FUDGE!

Must. Stop. Typing. About. Tzolis.

He was a bit good wasn't he? Just a bit.. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, chicken said:

Love your write ups Ricardo, they are legendary now. I only wish I could come remotely as close with your use of words. Better than I have seen in professional publications.

This in spades. I am really trying, like REALLY TRYING... but boy oh boy. No, STOP IT! It was almost pinch yourself stuff tonight. Not because he is the complete article just yet, but like Farke says... this is him NOW, at 19... FUDGE!

Must. Stop. Typing. About. Tzolis.

He was a bit good wasn't he? Just a bit.. 

Can't help but go all OTT about Tzolis. Has speed but with strength, composure, great passing ability and a real finisher.

Looks the real deal to me.

Just now, nutty nigel said:

Can't help but go all OTT about Tzolis. Has speed but with strength, composure, great passing ability and a real finisher.

Look, I said I need to calm down! This isn't helping! Stop it Nige!!! 😜😅

I agree... I'm trying not to agree over enthusiastically but I agree... a lot.. quite a lot... ok lots and lots.

You see what you did now? 😂

• Haha 1

Thanks Ricardo. Glad to hear Sorensen looked in control. Also great news to hear Williams looks the part. Would I be correct in saying that the way the game went meant Omobamidele wasn't really tested? I'm keen to see how he develops & track his progress.

52 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I was sitting more or less in line with that in the 2nd half with the ball played towards me (we switched seats to be near my father in law for the 2nd half, like the naughty lads we were).

As Ricardo says, a think of beauty... just stunning. Spinning through the air with the whip and movement only the outside of the boot can create, the floodlights glittering off the fine rain soaked artificial surface of the ball. That wonderful "punk" sound when the ball is hit that way. The fizz of the spinning ball through the air. The gasp and then applause of the crowd.

I may have shouted "YESSSS" very loudly. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

I was sat in A block of the Barclay Lower and got a perfect view of that pass, absolutely exquisite 👍

59 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I also noticed he had a bit of bite. More than once did he give a player an impolite shove as he pressed. Not afraid of the physical aspect despite his years. 

And Williams doesn’t mind leaving a bit in either. 

I like it. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

I also noticed he had a bit of bite. More than once did he give a player an impolite shove as he pressed. Not afraid of the physical aspect despite his years. 

And Williams doesn’t mind leaving a bit in either. 

I like it. 

Looked like Mepham left one on Tzolis after the ball not long after coming on, and Tzolis spent the next ten seconds just stalking Mepham and chuntering away in his ear. A further ten seconds later and Tzolis was sprinting away from Mepham in the act of setting up the sixth goal 🤫

Apologies to Kenny McLean, it was his shot, not Tzolis, from which Sargent netted the rebound.

New glasses required.😉

Great summary as always 'R'.....Only downside after a great evening of most entertaining soccerkickyfussball.....was that most unwelcome penetrating drizzle as I exited from the rear of the Jarroldy South Stand.....I had thought about going for a few sherbets in t'City....but decided instead, to walk straight home - but with a saturated spring in my step....

• Haha 1

Brilliant report Ricardo. Informative as ever and you also gave a real sense of excitement over Tzolis.

Thanks 👍

Edited by Badger
  • Thanks 1

I am babysitting up in Windsor this week. Just seen the goals. Looks really exciting. Its brilliant when new signings come good and look top prospects.

I really hope this has given DF a headache. Theories and plans are all good but that are not always right. And reading Ricardo's report, it seems Tzolis may be the catalyst, the unknown factor, that gives us an edge.

Remember the likes of Bone, Hockey, O'Neill, Huckerby who came in and gave us a real lift at the time.

If he is good enough, then surely he must be in consideration. I really do not know it is so important to bed players in. Talent should outweigh anything.

And surely Sargent has shown his worth in the new system?