Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Start tonight’s 11 against Leicester

2 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Gibson or Hanley back in for Zimbo but otherwise, totally agree. Farke can’t revert to his previous 11s after that display.

Sorry but no. Zimmermann was by far the better of the two CB's tonight. Far more assured on the ball and the better passer with some quality long balls. Despite his strong showing, I still don't expect him to dislodge Gibson or Hanley at this time. I rate Omobamidele but on tonight's performance, he didn't do more than Zimmermann to deserve being started against Leicester.

• Like 1

It really will be facinating to see who Farke picks.

Is half a game as a deer in headlights away at Man City enough to drop a player for a guy who's looked good against a nothing Bournemouth side?

Same with a couple of others like Pukki, when I think it's safe to assume that Pukki needs minutes to regain his game.

Both Tzolis and Dowell looked fantastic here but who's to say Rashica and Cantwell wouldn't have also.

Then there's Sorensen vs Gilmour.

I think the only cert is McLean coming back in.

2 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

And let everyone else battle for their place back in the team, regardless of the name. After tonights performance I think each and every player has earned the right to the shirt, irrespective of the opposition being a Championship side. Regardless, I suspect this is going to give Farke some massive headaches in the coming days, and that can only be good for us! 

I wouldn't go as far as the entire 11.

I think several players have asked questions though. I don't see how you can't bring McLean back in after that performance, with Rupp likely to make way. Tzolis and Sargent have incredibly strong shouts too. I'd almost like to see Pukki given a bit more of a rest after the summer he has had - Sargent ran his socks off tonight and boosted by two goals you kind of want Farke to drop the cautious bit and throw him out there with Pukki on the bench. Tzolis surely has to start, but who for? Rashica would seem to be the most obvious candidate. Williams is another. On any other day you would be saying what has he done wrong to be left out in favour of Giannoulis?

Then you have the likes of Sorensen, Mumba, Dowell who all could have a decent shout too - though I think they are perhaps a little less strong in terms of argument for than those I have already named.

I don't expect wholesale changes but I can see 3-4.

Weirdly, I would have played Sargent against Man City and Pukki vs. Leicester. Sargent is more industrious and Pukki more clever with his off the ball attacking movement.

5-3-2 / 3-5-2 and stay solid before switching to 4-3-3 if chasing.

Krul

Aarons  Omo Hanley Gibson Williams

Mclean Gilmour Lees-Melou

Pukki Cantwell

Bring on:

Sargent / Tzolis / Rashica

1 hour ago, yellowrider120 said:

How strange that in this thread one K Dowell barely merits a mention yet some of his passing was sublime and he was instrumental in at least two of the goals. Of course Sargent and Tzolis grabbed the headlines but make no mistake Dowell is the new Vrancic and needs to be given time in the PL to prove his undoubted ability. P Davitt waxed lyrical about the boy in his summary and rightly so.

Agreed.

He has been on an upward trajectory for a while now. Surprised he hasn't been involved but I suspect we will see more of him as this season progresses. 

1 minute ago, chicken said:

I wouldn't go as far as the entire 11.

I think several players have asked questions though. I don't see how you can't bring McLean back in after that performance, with Rupp likely to make way. Tzolis and Sargent have incredibly strong shouts too. I'd almost like to see Pukki given a bit more of a rest after the summer he has had - Sargent ran his socks off tonight and boosted by two goals you kind of want Farke to drop the cautious bit and throw him out there with Pukki on the bench. Tzolis surely has to start, but who for? Rashica would seem to be the most obvious candidate. Williams is another. On any other day you would be saying what has he done wrong to be left out in favour of Giannoulis?

Then you have the likes of Sorensen, Mumba, Dowell who all could have a decent shout too - though I think they are perhaps a little less strong in terms of argument for than those I have already named.

I don't expect wholesale changes but I can see 3-4.

I don’t expect wholesale changes either, Chicken, of course not, but I do think we need to create a culture where the players that played best in the very last game get to keep their spot until such time their competition warrant their chance. I don’t mind if that’s against Real Madrid or Runcorn. I have faith in every player in our squad, but we must get everyone fighting for their place in the team, that’s what brings out the best in them. 

2 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

And let everyone else battle for their place back in the team, regardless of the name. After tonights performance I think each and every player has earned the right to the shirt, irrespective of the opposition being a Championship side. Regardless, I suspect this is going to give Farke some massive headaches in the coming days, and that can only be good for us! 

Agree, apart from Zimbo who is a way off being Premier league standard

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

I don’t expect wholesale changes either, Chicken, of course not, but I do think we need to create a culture where the players that played best in the very last game get to keep their spot until such time their competition warrant their chance. I don’t mind if that’s against Real Madrid or Runcorn. I have faith in every player in our squad, but we must get everyone fighting for their place in the team, that’s what brings out the best in them. 

I don't think Farke will let any player think that the performances of the lads out there tonight hasn't thrown into question their own spot.

Take Tzolis - it's a genuine question. If that had been Cantwell or Rashica you would say without hesitation they are starting the next match. Either one of those two could make way for him. It's a genuine dilemma. Personally, if it was me, I would struggle to find a good reason not to start a player that has scored twice and assisted twice. Much like Sargent scoring twice and assisting once.

Rashica, Cantwell and Pukki will know this. In fact, I think Leicester's defence are shaky at the moment and it makes you wonder if Sargent's running and physical approach from the start might ruffle more feathers to pave the way for Pukki to come on in the 2nd half and make those ghost runs he is so good at and push them in a sort of flip of approach.

Like I say, I can't see Farke not using tonight's result and performance to challenge the others to up their game. At the very least it's a case of - they just won 6-0, we have 2 players with 2 goals and 2 assists. Who wants these starting players the most. Prove to me you can do better than that!

Interesting caveat that I’m sure no one has considered 

are we seriously suggesting starting a goalkeeper who conceded 9 goals v Leicester nearly two years ago? 😉

Rupp, mclean, Williams and tzolis for me, the rest start on the bench with the premier league boys coming back in 

Rashica and tzolis on either wing is going to be frightening 

Just now, Mullet said:

Agree, apart from Zimbo who is a way off being Premier league standard

Not on tonight's showing. Looked better than Obomadele to me. Much more solid, and didn't over play the ball as much and put us in some compromising positions as a result. 

1 minute ago, Yobocop said:

Interesting caveat that I’m sure no one has considered 

are we seriously suggesting starting a goalkeeper who conceded 9 goals v Leicester nearly two years ago? 😉

Rupp, mclean, Williams and tzolis for me, the rest start on the bench with the premier league boys coming back in 

Rashica and tzolis on either wing is going to be frightening 

So who do you leave out of the midfield? Rupp AND McLean means Gilmore or Lees-Milou have to be left out.

You've gone with dropping Cantwell over Rashica. That'll be a tough decision to make. Cantwell is more like Dowell, Rashica is like Tzolis... so do you drop a like for like - Cantwell/Dowell, Rashica/Tzolis or do you go for two of a kind?

Just now, chicken said:

So who do you leave out of the midfield? Rupp AND McLean means Gilmore or Lees-Milou have to be left out.

You've gone with dropping Cantwell over Rashica. That'll be a tough decision to make. Cantwell is more like Dowell, Rashica is like Tzolis... so do you drop a like for like - Cantwell/Dowell, Rashica/Tzolis or do you go for two of a kind?

Rashica and tzolis behind pukki (two of a kind) 

Rupp Gilmour McLean as the 3 

sadly Cantwell misses out but think he needs another Farke kick up the **** 

8 minutes ago, chicken said:

Not on tonight's showing. Looked better than Obomadele to me. Much more solid, and didn't over play the ball as much and put us in some compromising positions as a result. 

Yes he looked better tonight, he was terrible against Newcastle and Newcastle aren't Leicester. Can't see Zimbo starting unless desperate

43 minutes ago, chicken said:

I don't think Farke will let any player think that the performances of the lads out there tonight hasn't thrown into question their own spot.

Take Tzolis - it's a genuine question. If that had been Cantwell or Rashica you would say without hesitation they are starting the next match. Either one of those two could make way for him. It's a genuine dilemma. Personally, if it was me, I would struggle to find a good reason not to start a player that has scored twice and assisted twice. Much like Sargent scoring twice and assisting once.

Rashica, Cantwell and Pukki will know this. In fact, I think Leicester's defence are shaky at the moment and it makes you wonder if Sargent's running and physical approach from the start might ruffle more feathers to pave the way for Pukki to come on in the 2nd half and make those ghost runs he is so good at and push them in a sort of flip of approach.

Like I say, I can't see Farke not using tonight's result and performance to challenge the others to up their game. At the very least it's a case of - they just won 6-0, we have 2 players with 2 goals and 2 assists. Who wants these starting players the most. Prove to me you can do better than that!

Absolutely nothing to disagree with there, Chicken - although I’m obviously a poster in absolute agreement with everything you have said there, I’ve noticed your counter points to other posters are always well made without any edge, and consequently you get maximum respect in my eyes buddy 👍

2 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Sorenson was a cdm protecting back four  - Gilmour is not. We play a flat midfield with gilmour and no real cdm or 10. Formation shifted in significant way due to personnel 

Have you watched football before?

I agree that Kenny should be put in - but not for Rupp.

Rupp is a skillful and well balanced player so McLean should come in for one of the others.

Agree with a few of the other posters that I think Mclean will come in and there's a good chance Williams does too.

I then think that Tzolis and Sargent are pushing hard for inclusion at expense of Rashica and then either Todd or Pukki. I don't see any other changes at this point.

Beefy's team v Leicester is

Krul

Max Gibbo Hanley Williams

Sargent Pukki Cantwell

Wouldn't be unhappy to see Tzolis handed a PL debut though.

8 hours ago, priceyrice said:

I also think we could see Gunn earlier this season than a lot expect. 

That's a good point. Krul I thought didn't have his best game Vs Liverpool. Wonder what it would take to get him in. 

Difficult one this as I’ve liked glimpses of what I’ve seen from Rashica but I’m also keen to give Sargent and Tzolis a start. I’m also not sure the 4-3-3 really suits Cantwell or Pukki but dropping either is a big call. 

I think the one nailed on change will be Kenny into the midfield. 

I think:

Krul

Aarons Hanley Gibson Williams

McClean Gilmour Lees-Melou

Cantwell Pukki Tzolis 

I'd try and keep our Greeks together if possible. I accept Williams played well and it looked like he was linking very well with Tzolis considering he'd only been out on loan for two days, but in the context of a team who's had a truncated pre-season due to Covid, partnerships are particularly important and Giannoulis and Tzolis already play with each other for Greece, and did for PAOK.

Against an excellent Leicester side with defensive issues due to injury, that split-second extra pace is precisely what can unhinge it.

6 hours ago, Beefy is a legend said:

Agree with a few of the other posters that I think Mclean will come in and there's a good chance Williams does too.

I then think that Tzolis and Sargent are pushing hard for inclusion at expense of Rashica and then either Todd or Pukki. I don't see any other changes at this point.

Beefy's team v Leicester is

Krul

Max Gibbo Hanley Williams

Sargent Pukki Cantwell

Wouldn't be unhappy to see Tzolis handed a PL debut though.

Gunn

Aarons Hanley Gibson Giannoulis 

Mclean 

Tzolis cantwell Lees melou Sargent 

Pukki 

Attack them after Mondays defeat.

Couldn't get to the game but heard a bit on the radio and post match refections. It seems McLean is a sure starter against Leicester and Williams.

What we can do is now draw a line under pre season and all those 'undercooked' excuses and really push on.

Farke now has a relatively huge squad to draw on, with hopefully more to come by the end of the week.

No need to flog dead horses now with competition for every position on the pitch, including goalkeeper. Any player should only be as good as their last game. 

Interesting times ahead for Farke and the challenge of keeping all of them happy.

• Like 1

I think Daniel will now have quite a bit of a conundrum regarding team selection for Saturday.....Which is no bad thing.....A spoilt for choice selection?.....

I would initially play Sarge with Pukster on bench.....Bring Giannoulis back in to start and see how he fares....We have various options and can adjust accordingly as the game progresses.....Really looking forward to it.....and although last night the South Stand was a nice alternative viewing - I'll be back sitting in my normal seat in the City Stand for what I personally think is going to be a cracker of a game..... 

Was anyone actually not that impressed with Gilmour when he came on? Thought he gave the ball away quite a lot, didn't have the same range of passing as Kenny for example.

IMO, i'd bench Gilmour and have one of Sorenson and Rupp alongside PLM and the Mayor

4 minutes ago, For the future said:

I agree with you as we will win Saturday with this team. On the ball city 

I think this side beats Leicester too. In fact, I think this side beats the Norwich side that played Man City the other day. Anyway, apart from their Charity Shield win, Leicester have been in dodgy form for quite some time. We have an excellent chance of winning.