7 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

I’m probably misreading the tactics, but surely the point of playing out from the back is that you invite the high press, play through it, then move the ball quickly in order to take opposition players out of the game in the “wrong” half of the pitch and create better scoring opportunities? 

Of course, it comes with risk, especially against the top sides who are more likely to punish mistakes, but we demonstrated when beating Man City two years ago, it can come with reward. 

I think we also buy players to play in a given style. I’d say our purchases this time around have looked to add pace and strength in wide areas. Tzolis and Rashica both appear to be more direct than Cantwell and Buendia. I think we’ll look to hit them earlier, utilise the switch of play and turn defenders around rather than play in front of them. Or at least that is one option that we perhaps didn’t have before, or certainly not to the same skill level.

That in itself asks questions about line-ups. Where does that leave Cantwell or Dowell or even Pukki? It asks more questions of Hernandez and Placheta who were the “proper” wide options previously.

But, I think it does allow us to play in a more varied way, while maintaining quality levels across the pitch. Perhaps we’ll adapt a more “horses for courses” approach and, that adaptability, might allow us to change things mid-game more than just chucking on a Hugill or Hernandez and hoping.

But I’m no expert, obviously. I expect us to maintain our possession based ethic but perhaps be able to change it up if it isn’t working a bit easier. There are far more tactically astute posters than I, happy to be advised!! 

I don’t expect us to stop playing out from the back. As you say it’s to draw teams out so we can beat the press.

however, I do think doing it repeatedly so early on in tough away games like at Man City is asking for trouble. 

5 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Oh I see 🤦

Thank god for that as she's not allowed to be criticised 😬

No, she can be criticised but the rubbish from the Daily Mail about box ticking and Digby Jones about pronunciation is unjust.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

No, she can be criticised but the rubbish from the Daily Mail about box ticking and Digby Jones about pronunciation is unjust.

That is a bit harsh as she can't help where she is from, for me it's the fact that she comes out with some stuff that either doesn't make sense or gets her words mixed up.

On the Olympics she described cross country mountain biking as cross county, she mixed up the phrases of rabbit caught in headlights and name up in lights with name up in headlights and there were a few more. I think she's now caught in the position of trying to hard because of the criticism and making it worse, she just needs to be herself or she'll end up on talksport (see what I did there, got it back to topic 😉)

For those of us old enough to remember colemans balls, she's trying for her own modern day version.

And before anyone moans at me about sexism etc, Sam Queek was superb on the Olympics coverage, Michelle Owen is superb on EFL on Quest and there are many more.

16 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

That is a bit harsh as she can't help where she is from, for me it's the fact that she comes out with some stuff that either doesn't make sense or gets her words mixed up.

On the Olympics she described cross country mountain biking as cross county, she mixed up the phrases of rabbit caught in headlights and name up in lights with name up in headlights and there were a few more. I think she's now caught in the position of trying to hard because of the criticism and making it worse, she just needs to be herself or she'll end up on talksport (see what I did there, got it back to topic 😉)

For those of us old enough to remember colemans balls, she's trying for her own modern day version.

And before anyone moans at me about sexism etc, Sam Queek was superb on the Olympics coverage, Michelle Owen is superb on EFL on Quest and there are many more.

The reason it ran for so long as Coleman balls is that he never got criticised for it, similarly Murray Walker would also make the same verbal slip ups and it was considered OK.

Presenting live TV & radio will always have problems. Even the best presenters will get their words muddled, without it there wouldn't be the Christmas blooper reel that Soccer Saturday love showing us each year and Hawksbee & Jacobs wouldn't have Clips of the Week on Talksport. (see what I did there, got it back to topic 😉)

Edited by A Load of Squit

9 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

The reason it ran for so long as Coleman balls is that he never got criticised for it, similarly Murray Walker would also make the same verbal slip ups and it was considered OK.

Presenting live TV & radio will always have problems. Even the best presenters will get their words muddled, without it there wouldn't be the Christmas blooper reel that Soccer Saturday love showing us each year and Hawksbee & Jacobs wouldn't have Clips of the Week on Talksport. (see what I did there, got it back to topic 😉)

Exactly. There have always been commentators who muddled up their words and made mistakes, but they got away with it. It’s the fact that a female who doesn’t talk like the ruling class did it that meant she got targeted.

7 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

What we are showing here squitty is that you can pretty much say anything on here as long as we can relate it back to topic.

And the difference is that in those days there was no Twitter, Facebook etc where they would be publicly criticised by people behind a keyboard.

There was also nit quite the same focus on being PC and people didn't take offence, although I'm saying that on the basis of Coleman allowing it to happen.

There was also no talksport in those (just to bring it back to topic) 👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

Exactly. There have always been commentators who muddled up their words and made mistakes, but they got away with it. It’s the fact that a female who doesn’t talk like the ruling class did it that meant she got targeted.

Don't think she got targeted for muddling up words (that's just my bug bear as it is with any commentator/pundit), the majority of abuse she got/gets is about her accent which is wrong.

Always makes me laugh when there is a local national news story and they find the person with the strongest Norfolk accent possible to interview, then everyone thinks we all talk that way. 😂😂

36 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Don't think she got targeted for muddling up words (that's just my bug bear as it is with any commentator/pundit), the majority of abuse she got/gets is about her accent which is wrong.

Always makes me laugh when there is a local national news story and they find the person with the strongest Norfolk accent possible to interview, then everyone thinks we all talk that way. 😂😂

Thass roight bor.

10 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

We have a core belief to how we should play football, of course we do. Its coaches from the younger age groups up to the senior teams. The club now has an actual playing philosophy which has enabled us to regularly compete amongst the top 26 clubs in English football. Theyve now strengthened the squad in an attempt to see if we can now regularly compete amongst the top 20 - thats a huge ask no matter how you play.

What I will say is all our good performances and wins in the prem last time was when we played our style, shockingly. People yearn for some weird desperation for us to have a long ball option but with our personnel we would be instantly weakening ourselves in game. Who's going to be better at long ball, us or Burnley? 

I dont agree with @lake district canary too often but what he says is right, we do plan A better and we won't do that giving up as soon as it goes wrong for a game, remember Farke is much more strong willed than a lot of our fans who not long ago would have had Neil Warnock as our manager instead of Daniel...

More shoite on talksport. Cascarino praising Brentford for the way they play and describing Norwich as cannon fodder. What an absolute plum. These so called experts must need to have idiot plastered all over their CV.

12 minutes ago, canarycop said:

More shoite on talksport. Cascarino praising Brentford for the way they play and describing Norwich as cannon fodder. What an absolute plum. These so called experts must need to have idiot plastered all over their CV.

They're not experts.

How can you be when the game is a million miles from the game that these people played in the 80/90's.

Always amazes me how they roll these guys and how they still have jobs, bring in players who have played this century who understand how modern football is played.

Don't get me started on Lawrenson.....

17 minutes ago, canarycop said:

These trash pundits need to be reminded of all this in 6 months.

Assuming things go to plan of course. If not let's just keep quiet.