Sign in to follow this  
Pugin

The Etihad reminded me of what football has become.

Arriving at the Etihad I just yearned for a an old stadium with history, quirks, memories, atmosphere, character and personality. From the outside the Etihad is not particularly attractive, although inside is better. Even the flawed Maine Road would have held so much more appeal.

But since the money men got hold of the top level of the game, these things have gone forever, and the game is poorer as a result. The game has become a business with no history other than that generated for sales purposes.

City were a machine yesterday; I honestly don't know how we could have stopped them doing their thing, but where is the fun in that? The game has gone.

• Like 3

Boleyn_Ground_Upton_Park_1.jpg

Miss the days when the Prem was full of historic stadiums like the Boleyn Ground, with quirks, charms and **** poor pies and luke warm pints. Wet Spam do of course sum up the soulessness of what modern football has become. Imagine knocking this down and replacing it with a 'LONDON FC PLASTIC UNITED' new team branding and stadium.. Christ..

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

How we look at top Premier league teams is probably how Rotherham and Wycombe fans looked at Norwich. Not a level playing field and vast differences in financial ability. The main problem is of late we just haven’t been good enough. When we get that right the sour grapes will stop. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Hope nobody on here paid for their ticket yesterday!

image.thumb.png.9e935df16b6c97de218c83a7c1b07ee6.png

Seriously....they were giving away 5000 tickets! Wow.. 

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

How we look at top Premier league teams is probably how Rotherham and Wycombe fans looked at Norwich. Not a level playing field and vast differences in financial ability. The main problem is of late we just haven’t been good enough. When we get that right the sour grapes will stop. 

I was going to say exactly the same thing. I didn't here many complaints last season when we had largely a Premier League squad and parachute payments on top of that.

Great entertainment pre game, half price good and drink, good views, safe standing it’s a cracking place to go

modern football at its best , time to move with the times 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

Great entertainment pre game, half price good and drink, good views, safe standing it’s a cracking place to go

The entertainment Uncle Fred was The Panamas from Stockport.

6 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

Who needs to pay to see the circus when we get this clown posting for free

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Pugin said:

Arriving at the Etihad I just yearned for a an old stadium with history, quirks, memories, atmosphere, character and personality. From the outside the Etihad is not particularly attractive, although inside is better. Even the flawed Maine Road would have held so much more appeal.

But since the money men got hold of the top level of the game, these things have gone forever, and the game is poorer as a result. The game has become a business with no history other than that generated for sales purposes.

City were a machine yesterday; I honestly don't know how we could have stopped them doing their thing, but where is the fun in that? The game has gone.

Go to a non league game, you’ll feel better for it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FenwayFrank said:

Go to a non league game, you’ll feel better for it

I wholeheartedly recommended Dulwich Hamlet. Fantastic day out and you can enjoy a beer pitch side! Cracking vibe.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

I wholeheartedly recommended Dulwich Hamlet. Fantastic day out and you can enjoy a beer pitch side! Cracking vibe.

3F765FDBFD84A14CAD17C4BFEA950CC422AF1D4DShame about the race track but Yarmouth has a hell of a nice stand. This is what we call vintage

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

3F765FDBFD84A14CAD17C4BFEA950CC422AF1D4DShame about the race track but Yarmouth has a hell of a nice stand. This is what we call vintage

Only Stadium I have actually played at.. Roy Amos Cup Final. We lost. I was in goal... My fault.. sorry guys....

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Who needs to pay to see the circus when we get this clown posting for free

Which bit about The Etihad  has he got wrong then ?

The grandstand at Great Yarmouth Town Football Club is the oldest surviving football stand in the world. The stand, opened in 1892 is a grand 129 years old.

• Like 5

Might have to make sure I'm back that way for the Boxing Day Derby.... Sure to see some old faces for sure...

Edited by Norfolk Dan
Typo

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I dunno, calling anything related to Manchester abu Dabi oil barren FC good?

With an answer like that you are the clown around here.

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

With an answer like that you are the clown around here.

Indeed was there yesterday and quite shocked when I put my card on the reader to find a beer and coffee only cost £2.20 a welcome back for the fans, but they didn’t exclude the away fans. Loads of entertainment outside including Darren Huckerby in his Man City jacket and Dunne giving interviews before the game. Local groups playing inside and outside the stadium. Went up the village to see the academy with a stadium to rival lots of EFL teams. The Etihad inside had areas with safe standing and although the atmosphere was not electric it was very loud when they got going. I also must say the security getting into the ground was very good with even bags having to be placed into lockers.
Of course there were lots of cringeworthy things such as tourists coming to see Man City play and theatrical scenes when their team arrived, but was it cringeworthy or am I just jealous.

Just like any EPL ground there were plenty of passionate supporters, and I must say I was shocked at how friendly they were. Walking back to the car I expected some p*** taking but to be fair they wished us a safe trip and good luck for the rest of the season. Of course they have the money to buy whoever they want, but I suggest a lot of those players go there to be turned into world class players.

Dont like losing, especially when we don’t play well, but enjoyed the experience of my first visit to the Etihad. I questioned with my son who I was with would you enjoy being a Man City supporter walloping most sides every week, we couldn’t make up our minds wether it would be boring or not, but I guess like all good things one day it will come tumbling down around them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Danke bitte said:

Worked in Westminster during the week for 3 years and adopted The ‘amlet to watch midweek football. Great atmosphere, burgers in a brioche bun, bedsheets with team names on, and the fans changed ends at half-time. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Indeed was there yesterday and quite shocked when I put my card on the reader to find a beer and coffee only cost £2.20 a welcome back for the fans, but they didn’t exclude the away fans. Loads of entertainment outside including Darren Huckerby in his Man City jacket and Dunne giving interviews before the game. Local groups playing inside and outside the stadium. Went up the village to see the academy with a stadium to rival lots of EFL teams. The Etihad inside had areas with safe standing and although the atmosphere was not electric it was very loud when they got going. I also must say the security getting into the ground was very good with even bags having to be placed into lockers.
Of course there were lots of cringeworthy things such as tourists coming to see Man City play and theatrical scenes when their team arrived, but was it cringeworthy or am I just jealous.

Just like any EPL ground there were plenty of passionate supporters, and I must say I was shocked at how friendly they were. Walking back to the car I expected some p*** taking but to be fair they wished us a safe trip and good luck for the rest of the season. Of course they have the money to buy whoever they want, but I suggest a lot of those players go there to be turned into world class players.

Dont like losing, especially when we don’t play well, but enjoyed the experience of my first visit to the Etihad. I questioned with my son who I was with would you enjoy being a Man City supporter walloping most sides every week, we couldn’t make up our minds wether it would be boring or not, but I guess like all good things one day it will come tumbling down around them.

£2.20 for a beer and a coffee is a very nice gesture by them. I know Leicester have plenty initiatives like this too and wondered whether Norwich have done similar ever in the past. 

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

You realise this isn't real, right? 

Wouldn’t be surprised if it was fake, someone sent sent it to me

3 hours ago, Thingy said:

The grandstand at Great Yarmouth Town Football Club is the oldest surviving football stand in the world. The stand, opened in 1892 is a grand 129 years old.

I was there for the infamous match against VS Rugby in the FA Vase along with about 4000 others.

It got a bit tasty that day 😮