Tony DaWonderful

Should we cash in on Aaron's and Cantwell?

As the title says is it worth cashing in on both and spending the money on a pair of marauding DCM's?

Personally I would listen to offers for Aaron's now before depreciation sets in.

Cantwell looks bright, hungry and devoid of support for his creativity and so peak value. 

This isn't based on the last two games, predominantly as we were okay against Liverpool and mugged against 'a stung' Man City. Anyone expecting better performances or more value are deluding themselves

Our season starts next against Leicester and by then I wouldn't mind seeing some artillery even if it means sacrificing Maxi.

8 minutes ago, Tony DaWonderful said:

As the title says is it worth cashing in on both and spending the money on a pair of marauding DCM's?

Personally I would listen to offers for Aaron's now before depreciation sets in.

Cantwell looks bright, hungry and devoid of support for his creativity and so peak value. 

This isn't based on the last two games, predominantly as we were okay against Liverpool and mugged against 'a stung' Man City. Anyone expecting better performances or more value are deluding themselves

Our season starts next against Leicester and by then I wouldn't mind seeing some artillery even if it means sacrificing Maxi.

I wouldn’t be against selling Cantwell (and I’m a fan of his). We need stronger players for this league. 

Aarons is poor positionally and I believe we need a more defensive right back at this level. Although on the front foot, he is a joy to watch.

I doubt very much that Air Rons will still be a Norwich player when we wake up on September 1st. BW is being brought in not just as 'cover' but (potentially) to step up to fill said position if that happens, in my humble opinion of course. Only on that morning will we truly be able to assess how much (if any) 'net spend' there has been on new players during this summer window. Of course all the IN's will have associated costs (and that can be considerable in total) such as signing on fees and agents fees but we (as fans) never have any knowledge of such costs other than information in club accounts.

12 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I wouldn’t be against selling Cantwell (and I’m a fan of his). We need stronger players for this league. 

Aarons is poor positionally and I believe we need a more defensive right back at this level. Although on the front foot, he is a joy to watch.

I so much disagree, Max was good against Grealish - Grealish never went past him ONCE. Maxie stood off him when the ball was elsewhere,  he knew that if he got tight Grealish would manufacture some sort of contact and go down. The resultant free kicks would have been disaster Maxie kept him on his right foot and every time he turned back and laid the ball off. Max did his job. Grealish never went down once and was no more tha

Edited by Pugin
incomplete

I tend to think Cantwell will not be here past August, we’ve bought more cover in these areas and he’s in his last two years, so think we might see him depart for decent money.

Aarons I think we value more than other clubs, though he’s had eyes cast in his direction no club has actually made a substantial offer.

Feel Cantwell should and will stay.. On the fence with Aarons. I do feel we need him but at the same time he has looked less and less interested whenever he has played for us for quite some time now. Do feel all the very loud and public intrest in him has turned his head

4 minutes ago, Pugin said:

I so much disagree, Max was good against Grealish - Grealish never went past him ONCE. Maxie stood off him when the ball was elsewhere,  he knew that if he got tight Grealish would manufacture some sort of contact and go down. The resultant free kicks would have been disaster Maxie kept him on his right foot and every time he turned back and laid the ball off. Max did his job. Grealish never went down once and was no more tha

Did a cracking job marking him for his goal

Aarons has begun the season better than Cantwell imo, who looks a bit lost trying to play on the right so I can't see anyone coming in for  him at the price we're asking.

If a deal is imminent for Max I am surprised he played yesterday, so I suspect both will be here in September.

Surprised they haven't gone but pleased they haven't gone.We need to sell them to balance the books so hopefully we will get a season out of them

43 minutes ago, Tony DaWonderful said:

Yeah and then when we get the DCM’s we could sell them! 

We cash in on two of our best players to then buy who this late in the day to replace them?! A couple of **** results against the best in Europe does not warrant a fire sale because said players have had an ‘off day’. 

52 minutes ago, Pugin said:

He certainly stood off him so that he was totally unmarked just six yards out for his goal.

There is risk verse reward with both, at the moment the club value them between 30-40 million which is personally an inflated figure in my view. The risk is if they perform poorly over the season they will not be worth that in 12 months the reward that if we keep them and they shine they could be 50-60 million players. On the basis of how much Man Utd paid for wan bisaka after one good season for place with inflation that would be about the going rate for a young English player. 

personally I’d keep Aaron’s and sell Cantwell I think this will be his peak value in his career. So we can invest in some solid CB and CDM to look better as a group. 

17 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

He certainly stood off him so that he was totally unmarked just six yards out for his goal.

To justify his mult - million price tag, Grealish kneeded that goal.....

Would sell Cantwell,

to either get another fullback after Williams and play 442 with Aarons and Dimi in RM, LM. Nice and solid formation with still attacking intent. 

or get another CB and DM and play 532 / 3412 / 352 style formations

we can switch it later with subs in games to have more attacking options if needed. Think Rashica, Tzolis both can play through middle, Sargent outwide so still lots of options in attack. But that's a personal preference of two forwards

Edited by Baracouda

I would also sell Todd. I am a big fan of his, but he is too lightweight to be the creative anchor of our team, he'll be better off in a more physical team that can provide him cover when he loses the ball and we'll be better off with the £20m+ he'll bring in to re-invest in a DM and/or CB. As for Aarons, I can see him leaving too, but only when we have a new CB on-board. With our new wingers we now have the option to provide width for the attack from them rather than only from our full backs, which has become a strategic weakness of ours in the PL.

Edited by Surfer

2 hours ago, Tony DaWonderful said:

Yes definately. Cantwell is over rated. Max is a very good prospect. If we get £50m in total for both that would be plenty, with a sell on. 

There has been persistent talk for some time that Aarons would go. However no real evidence that anyone had shown interest or made an offer. I do not see him going to a Premiership side for a lot of money because he has a big weakness he can do nothing about. He is too small and as is repeatedly stated on other threads the Premiership is all about big athletic powerful guys. Particularly in defence and midfield. Even Kante at Chelsea is now unable to get a regular start. Max is also very one footed and it is noticeable that this leads to him passing back on numerous occasions to one of his fellow defenders. A good lad who has done well for us but don't see him hitting the big time.

• Like 1

Letting Cantwell leave now would be a terrible decision. We’ve already let our best creative talent go, we cannot afford to lose another. Todd’s contract situation is concerning though, we must have offered him something given the new deals for several other key players this summer but nothing for Todd suggests he’s made it clear he isn’t signing any new deal and is looking to leave so will be expecting him to be off at the end of the season. I feel for Todd, as much as he probably likes to think he is, he’s not at the required level for a big move and needs to be playing consistently at a top level every week which we’re yet to really see. Without Buendia he’s now in the spotlight more and needs to get on top of it if he’s going to get the big move he clearly dreams of but at present can see similar happening to him as Jamal/Murphy at Newcastle where he’s clearly talented but struggles to get into the squad.

As for Aarons, Saturday clearly showed that we need to be adding to our defensive arsenal, not depleting it. Aarons is an important cog and given the interest in the past isn’t in a rush to leave and rightly so, he’s developed very well so far under Farke. Grealish’s fortunous goal aside, he kept the England man fairly quiet which is no mean feat, sadly all the other 4 came down our very flakey left. It was a bold choice to move Todd from the left to the right and now the lack of defensive cover there is being exposed badly

At some point we will have the ball and will need to do something with it. Without Cantwell nearly all of our creative players are completely unknown in this league. Two years ago, a substantially less developed Cantwell proved he could disrupt premier League defences, we will need that in the weeks to come.

We are focussing (rightly) on the defensive side of things after the last two games, but we haven't had enough possession or the ability to beat the press regularly enough to see what our attacking players can do. Tzolis maybe a flop, Rashica may not cut it, Dowell may prove to be out of his league. 

15 hours ago, Tony DaWonderful said:

unless someone like Camavinga decides he loves Norwich then I don't see the point. We have enough money left to be able to attract a DM that is as good as it'll get for us so selling Cantwell or Max still won't really improve things.

By all means we still have Sorenson and McClean to come into that midfield as well. For all the tidy play Rupp does, he just isn't a premiership standard player whereas Kenny can hold his own at this level and Sorenson is untested.

Keep Todd an' Max until January, then maybe we can flog 'em to a Championship club that's got a feelthy rich owner and is running away with the league and wants to strengthen their squad for their dalliance in the Prem .....We can then use Max an' Todd's transfer money to prepare and bring in discount future young saleable talent for when we return to where we truly belong.....That's how we roll.....

I thought Max was the most likely to leave but it feels like he’s a victim of a glut in very good / world class English right backs. Only Arsenal would be in need of one and there’s no substantial links I’ve seen.

Todd is no good to us if we don’t have the ball. 

There hasn't actually been any concrete bids/interest in Cantwell at all.

Villa made a brief inquiry as did Leeds the previous season but certainly not to the actual putting in a bid stage compared with Aarons where Barca and Roma actually made concrete offers (albeit an initial loan in Barca's case).