Bovril

Emi Buendia - Transfer details

1 hour ago, duke63 said:

If there is going to be one rule for the rich and famous and another for the majoirty, then there will be riots on streets.

I hate to break it to you but this generally the case on many offences. The rich and powerful can afford to do it legally through the use of lawyers.

47 minutes ago, Badger said:

I hate to break it to you but this generally the case on many offences. The rich and powerful can afford to do it legally through the use of lawyers.

Yep - Slabheads arrest in Greece stands out. 

1 hour ago, Badger said:

100% they way they completed the form was correct according to the lawyers they will appoint. They always have a backdoor ... Always... It's up to us to read it well enough and decide if we use it or not...

10 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Some do, and some don’t I guess, Greavsy - just as is the same as us mere mortals! 

Don’t blame Emi etc for wanting to play for their country, but agreed, there are clear laws in place and they have flouted them, they knew this, end of. 

I’m just pleased we’re not having to deal with all of this - let’s say we didn’t sign Tzolis etc, and we were facing Buendia doing several months jail time once the transfer window had shut - we’d be royally screwed this season. Dean Smith must be tearing his hair out wondering how to handle this one - Emi’s only been there 5 minutes and already it looks like he’ll miss a significant amount of games for them this season as long as he continues to get called up and there are 14 day quarantine restrictions and red tape in place.

He's not going to be doing several months jail time. They won;t do any jail time at all. However, if, every time they get called up they have to fly back via Croatia and do 10 days in isolation there before re-entering the UK its going to be vey disruptive for Villa given there are internationals in October and November as well. Emi didn;t even play yet now will miss 1 or maybe 2 games. 

8 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

He's not going to be doing several months jail time. They won;t do any jail time at all. However, if, every time they get called up they have to fly back via Croatia and do 10 days in isolation there before re-entering the UK its going to be vey disruptive for Villa given there are internationals in October and November as well. Emi didn;t even play yet now will miss 1 or maybe 2 games. 

particularly when your not in the 23 man squad, he was in the 30 man provisional squad. 😂

14 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

How does going to Croatia actually help? It's 10 days isolation either there or here, at least here he'd be with his family...

Just now, cornish sam said:

How does going to Croatia actually help? It's 10 days isolation either there or here, at least here he'd be with his family...

I think its because (a) he's allowed to isolate with his teammate and apparently they can train whilst doing the 10 days and (b) Croatia is green list so when they eventually come back to the UK then they are arriving from a green list country.

I may be wrong but i think if arriving in the UK from a red list country then he would just have to go straight to a hotel on his own for 10 days?

5 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Yep, I highly doubt he’ll be doing a stretch anytime soon either, though whilst the possibility exists, it has to be included for the case in point.

And in total agreement there, Jimbo, as I of course stated in the quote - it does make me wonder if Webber looked at the international situation prior to the World Cup a bit closer than what his equivalents perhaps did at Aston Villa, and the associated permutations. In hindsight these are exactly the things he would have taken into consideration for the season ahead and the effect that it could and would have had on our performances and results. I suspect that now that we have a scouting base out in South America, he would be in particular well aware that 14 day quarantines out there would not be going away any time soon, and that coupled with how frequently Emi could be leaving the squad for international duty would have been a complete disaster for us.

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Yep, I highly doubt he’ll be doing a stretch anytime soon either, though whilst the possibility exists, it has to be included for the case in point.

And in total agreement there, Jimbo, as I of course stated in the quote - it does make me wonder if Webber looked at the international situation prior to the World Cup a bit closer than what his equivalents perhaps did at Aston Villa, and the associated permutations. In hindsight these are exactly the things he would have taken into consideration for the season ahead and the effect that it could and would have had on our performances and results. I suspect that now that we have a scouting base out in South America, he would be in particular well aware that 14 day quarantines out there would not be going away any time soon, and that coupled with how frequently Emi could be leaving the squad for international duty would have been a complete disaster for us.

I think its a stretch to rty and argue that Webber foresaw this or indeed factored it in. It is, however, a silver lining that we have avoided this kind of disruption. 

Just now, Jim Smith said:

I think its a stretch to rty and argue that Webber foresaw this or indeed factored it in. It is, however, a silver lining that we have avoided this kind of disruption. 

I’m not saying he foresaw this exact situation, that would be ridiculous. But given how meticulous Webber is, it’s certainly not a stretch for him to have factored in that Emi could be flying to South America every few weeks this autumn alone for WC qualifiers, and that would have been bad news for us. In fact I’d be 110% beyond surprised if he’d not been aware of such things, of course he would be - whether the possibility of 14 day quarantines would be taken into account who knows, but to be fair I would imagine so, it doesn’t exactly take a genius to realise that isn’t going to change anytime soon. Onel as well, we had on a couple of occasions issues there that weren’t his fault but it clearly made things difficult for us as Farke, whilst respecting Onel’s wish to play for his country, made clear at the time.

On 28/08/2021 at 00:49, The Bunny said:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on Emi's ability. I loved Hoolahan - he was a genius in his own way, but he was light years behind Buendia in terms of natural ability, certainly to my eye. I'm not sure delivering for longer is really relevant. We're not debating who was the biggest Norwich City legend (that would clearly be Wes). 

Not disagreeing on his ability... but one has to separate ability from application and both from services given.

He may have better ability than Wes, but the statistics do not lie in the fact that in reality he is yet to consistently emulate Wes' premier league record.

One of the best strikers, ability wise, in the last decade or so is Mario Balotelli. That is why so many clubs have been willing to gamble on him. There is absolutely no doubt he has the ability. However, his application, his mentality are what let him down and prevent him from being the world class striker he could easily have been. Buendia isn't as extreme a case as that, but equally, he is not even close to the top five best players to have played for Norwich for me.

Holt is another great example. Ability wise, especially in terms of technical ability, Holt should probably not have done as well as he did for us. But he did so for two seasons in the premier league. In a team whose ability in general is probably behind that of the side we have now - yet they kept the club up for two seasons playing good football.

I don't think anything I have said is unfair. Just a bit opposed to knee jerk reactions to losing him suggesting he is the best player we have ever had. That's disrespectful to the likes of Martin Peters, Keelan, Sutton, Eadie, Crook, Gunn (snr), Bellamy, Holt, Hoolahan, Huckerby... I can keep going. 

I do think it's pertinent that Buendia has yet to make his debut for Argentina, despite being a part of the squad for the last few games. I expected him to get 20 minutes at some point against lesser teams maybe, but that hasn't happened. Maybe he's not impressing enough in training. Maybe he isn't really as good as we all think he is. Maybe the environment he had at Norwich allowed him to do and try stuff he can't when with his national squad.

I know it's only 3 games but Villa fans seem quite split on him so far. I hope he does well because I'd like us to get the add ons.