Bovril

Emi Buendia - Transfer details

1 hour ago, The Bunny said:

I get that fans want to turn the page now that the player has left, but let’s not understate how important he was to us. What was our win rate without him in the team?

I’ve seen very few players with his creative ability playing for us, certainly since the golden years of the early 90s. Maddison is probably the only one who comes close, but he’s a different sort of player. Don’t get me wrong - Emi wasn’t perfect. His dead balls were generally poor, but his ability to beat players and put in a killer pass was extremely good, as was his workrate. Pukki was massively dependent on that service.

That said, I’d like nothing more than Buendia to have a shocking season with Villa and get relegated, and Tzolis /Rashica/Sargent turn out to be inspired signings who keep us up.

Norwich has always been a team reliant upon the sum of it's parts rather than any individual, this has been more the case under Farke than some of the previous managers.

I'll say it again too, Hoolahan. Hoolahan did it in the Premier League at 29. Huckerby had buckets more pace and arguably far more end product. Eadie was also quality and were it not for injury would have made the England team. There have been other players deliver as good for longer than Buendia. Whilst it is important not to understate, it is equally important not to overstate. From my perspective, there has been far more overstating of his ability, much to the detriment of other players, past and present - which irks.

More important than Pukki's record goal tally?

Win rates are a joke. Sorry. They are. No one's win rate was good in the prem. And that's the biggest test of them all.

The biggest praise we can give him is that last season, we fought to keep him and he played even better and got us back to the premier league. He's a good player, that's why he cost Villa £33m raising to £38m (PinkUn). He is no Maddison though - he has a way to go before he can prove he can deliver that type of level consistently in the premier league. 

• Like 1

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on Emi's ability. I loved Hoolahan - he was a genius in his own way, but he was light years behind Buendia in terms of natural ability, certainly to my eye. I'm not sure delivering for longer is really relevant. We're not debating who was the biggest Norwich City legend (that would clearly be Wes). 

Police in Brazil appear to have walked on to the pitch and attempted to arrest Emi for supposedly breaking covid regulations.

5 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Police in Brazil appear to have walked on to the pitch and attempted to arrest Emi for supposedly breaking covid regulations.

I assume he rolled their challenges.

3 minutes ago, Norfolk Dan said:

EMI been detained by Police ! 

Argentinian quadruple Giovanni Lo Celso, Emi Martinez, Emi Buendia and Cristian Romero were ordered to deport from Brazil having been accused of giving false information to health authorities.

1 minute ago, Greavsy said:

Argentinian quadruple Giovanni Lo Celso, Emi Martinez, Emi Buendia and Cristian Romero were ordered to deport from Brazil having been accused of giving false information to health authorities.

That's just crazy. Do you think they will put them on the next plane back to the UK? If so EMI might do his 10 days and be ready for my fantasy football team and not miss a game! 

BREAKING NEWS

Reports are suggesting from the stadium that the traffic regulators are organising for a coach to come and pick up the Argentinian players take them to an unknown destination.

Nothing official yet but we will soon see if this is true.

Brazilian law says if you travel from a red list Country ( U.K. is one of those ) you have to quarantine for 14 days, breaking the law results in a likely prison sentence. According to reports ( not sure if they are accurate ) the 4 players lied to get into Brazil. 
Villa must be fuming, they asked the players not to go, they were already missing 2 games.

Webber is an utter genius.

Now Villa will have Buendia in quarantine for 14 days, missing at least 2 Premier League games in the process, with more internationals to come in October and November before Christmas alone! 

I can see Villa having real issues here, pleased it’s not us having to tell Emi he can’t play for his country (or at least train with them anyway!).

26 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Now Villa will have Buendia in quarantine for 14 days, missing at least 2 Premier League games in the process, with more internationals to come in October and November before Christmas alone! 

I can see Villa having real issues here, pleased it’s not us having to tell Emi he can’t play for his country (or at least train with them anyway!).

Don't forget he's broken the law and a law that if found guilty will result in months of jail time.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

35 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Don't forget he's broken the law and a law that if found guilty will result in months of jail time.

Good point, Cambridge, but I do wonder if it’ll actually come to that 💵 

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

Coming from a red country he had to quarantine when he came back, that’s why Villa were not happy with them both ( nor were the EPL. I assume even if they have to quarantine there they will still have to quarantine here as it’s ‘ travel from a red country ‘.

4 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Coming from a red country he had to quarantine when he came back, that’s why Villa were not happy with them both ( nor were the EPL. I assume even if they have to quarantine there they will still have to quarantine here as it’s ‘ travel from a red country ‘.

What an absolute mess, WBB. The technicalities get a bit confusing (and I’m not even considering the possibility of jail here), but if he has to quarantine there and then quarantine back here then that’s 24 days away from Villa in total, then you have to factor in just a week or two later he’ll be wanting to join up with Argentina again for the next round of internationals.

I have to say, I think Dean Smith and Aston Villa will be quite within their rights to say enough’s enough at that stage. It’s one thing saying no under normal circumstances but there’s still a pandemic going on, and Emi and his mates need to realise it’s not all about them.

7 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

there’s still a pandemic going on, and Emi and his mates need to realise it’s not all about them.

When have footballers ever played within the rules that the rest of us have to abide by. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

When have footballers ever played within the rules that the rest of us have to abide by. 

Some do, and some don’t I guess, Greavsy - just as is the same as us mere mortals! 

Don’t blame Emi etc for wanting to play for their country, but agreed, there are clear laws in place and they have flouted them, they knew this, end of. 

I’m just pleased we’re not having to deal with all of this - let’s say we didn’t sign Tzolis etc, and we were facing Buendia doing several months jail time once the transfer window had shut - we’d be royally screwed this season. Dean Smith must be tearing his hair out wondering how to handle this one - Emi’s only been there 5 minutes and already it looks like he’ll miss a significant amount of games for them this season as long as he continues to get called up and there are 14 day quarantine restrictions and red tape in place.

• Like 1

The paperwork to gain entry into Brazil would have been done by the Argentinian football authorities who clearly must have thought there wasn't going to be an issue otherwise they wouldn't have picked him, this is an almighty ****-up and it's baffling how Buendia and the other players got as far as the stadium before this was spotted. 

43 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

The paperwork to gain entry into Brazil would have been done by the Argentinian football authorities who clearly must have thought there wasn't going to be an issue otherwise they wouldn't have picked him, this is an almighty ****-up and it's baffling how Buendia and the other players got as far as the stadium before this was spotted. 

Apparently they were told to quarantine at the hotel, ignored it and went to the stadium anyway. 

They've left the country now, apparently emi is going to Croatia before coming home to avoid UK quarantine and not be travelling from a red list country. 

49 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

The rumour is that the Brazilian authorities only made a move when the 4 players clearly left their ‘isolation’ of the team hotel. The moment they left the hotel therefore, was the moment it became an issue, hence why nothing happened until then apparently.

Edited by Alex Moss

10 hours ago, Norfolk Dan said:

EMI been detained by Police ! 

Apparently his transfer papers not signed properly - has to go back to Norwich !

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Haus said:

Apparently they were told to quarantine at the hotel, ignored it and went to the stadium anyway. 

They've left the country now, apparently emi is going to Croatia before coming home to avoid UK quarantine and not be travelling from a red list country. 

This is where it all gets ridiculous.

If there is going to be one rule for the rich and famous and another for the majoirty, then there will be riots on streets.

5 minutes ago, duke63 said:

If there is going to be one rule for the rich and famous and another for the majoirty, then there will be riots on streets.

No there wont. People will complain, but do not much.

6 minutes ago, duke63 said:

They will still have to quarantine in Croatia though as they won’t be able to just come straight to the UK as if they’ve not been in a red list country in previous days.

Totally agreed though, it’s blatantly obvious the players knew what they were doing throughout all of this, the idea they’ve been naive to it all is just ridiculous. 

After this fiasco how are they going to ban the players from clubs who refused permission to travel to red list countries as they have said they will. I believe a player who is refused permission to join an international team means a 1 game league ban. That has to be better than what the players released face. 

40 minutes ago, duke63 said:

And a lot of players have apparently refused to be vaccinated.

That's their  choice.  As it is yours and mine.