Sign in to follow this  
fredherring

Billy Gilmour - is he as good as people say?

Genuine question, as I haven't seen much discussion around what to me is quite crucial in what's happened so far. 

We seem to have changed our set up to accommodate him and give him support. At the expense of supporting and unfit Pukki with a number ten like Dowell. 

For me, he looks lightweight, short of pace, and his range of passing is not much better than anyone else's. 

He is certainly for me not the even half finished article we should be making sacrifices for. He looks a bit lost. 

I'd prefer Malou and kenny holding, with an attacking three ahead of them. 

So is he as good as people have said, or are we in danger of squandering a season trying to accommodate a half finished kid? 

Edited by fredherring

He is a talented player, I hope he does well for us, but I personally think he'll flourish more at Chelsea, seeing more of the ball, being in a world class team, getting stood off picking the passes he's required to do. He's purely here to get minutes in the Premier League and see how he does before Chelsea give him his chance next season. That's my take anyway 

1 minute ago, Ward 3 said:

He's purely here to get minutes in the Premier League and see how he does before Chelsea give him his chance next season. That's my take anyway 

That’s fine but we can’t get relegated just by fielding a luxury player that’s in a side who overall isn’t as good to compliment his attributes. 

I think he’s good but he’s a playmaker not a defensive midfielder. He needs to be next to an athlete and then I think he will prosper, especially if he has a number 10 in front of him. 

• Like 2

Just now, Danke bitte said:

That’s fine but we can’t get relegated just by fielding a luxury player that’s in a side who overall isn’t as good to compliment his attributes. 

I'm not saying we have to field him buddy I'm just saying that as I see it. Farke is friends with tuchl so no doubt something has been made like a gentlemen agreement. 

8 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I think he’s good but he’s a playmaker not a defensive midfielder

My thoughts also, he's happiest when on the ball and playing it.  Needs to be further forwards where he can pull the strings and feed Pukki, or push ball out wide and allow players to interchange with him.

Interestingly he was like a magnet to Sterling when he first came on, couldn't wait to stick the boot in lol.

Edited by Google Bot

4 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

We don't know the terms of the loan but it's highly likely he will play in most games this season otherwise Chelsea wouldn't have agreed to the loan.

In my opinion, and based on performances so far, I can't see anyone taking his place even if we get another midfielder in. It was his pass that led to our best move of the first half. Granted there was little else to talk about or be proud from him or the rest of our players.

He looks every inch a Farke type player. As the players get to know each other better, he will link up and fit in so well to the way we play, it is an exciting prospect.  All the new players have had a baptism of fire with the restricted pre-season then these two games as first games of the season, so judgement on any of their worths ought to wait until we have played a few more games.  Gilmour is the real deal, but the team as a whole will need to step up and then we will see the best of him.

I think he's an immense playmaker who is good enough to play in many of the top sides in Europe. 

However, in order for Norwich city to benefit from his talents, they need to play to his strengths. That is by allowing him to be the playmaker midfielder in double 6. For this to work however, it requires a ball winning Central midfielder who is tactically astute In their defensive duties. 

If norwich don't sign a player that matches that profile then unfortunately a player of sheer unbelievable quality like Gilmour is a waste of time and you are better off playing two McLeans or two Bradley Johnsons and trying to play it scruffy.

The same applies to strikers. We could have the most in form Aguero play for Norwich and he wouldn't score anywhere near as many as he could/should if we don't play with players who can create and support him. Gilmours position is no different.

He's a Chelsea player so of course a bunch of our fans like him more than our own.

Looks like he could be a decent player in games where we have an attack.

He needs to be playing amongst quality premiership players. He is a very good player, but he will learn very little at NCFC due to the lack of quality they have in their ranks. Tranining  alone will not make you a star player but playing amongst quality players will.

I think Gilmour would be better alongside Trybull or Tettey than he is in the current system. Don’t understand why Farke won’t play Sorensen until we can sign a defensive midfielder. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Needs to be playing alongside a Kante type who will win the ball and give it to him....we're asking him to do the Kante role,which is absolutely ridiculous

Are we? We're playing him deepest with the aim of getting him on the ball so he can ping it about. Of course we've played 2 teams that have the quality to attack for 90 mins so it's obviously been trying to win the ball more often.

1 minute ago, KeiranShikari said:

Are we? We're playing him deepest with the aim of getting him on the ball so he can ping it about. Of course we've played 2 teams that have the quality to attack for 90 mins so it's obviously been trying to win the ball more often.

So WHO is supposed to be playing the DM role?!

2 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Who 'is' supposed to be winning the ball in midfield??

1 minute ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

So WHO is supposed to be playing the DM role?!

None of them and all of them. I assume the 2 'busy' midfielders are there to lessen the overall need for somebody to just sit there. I think Lees-Melou and McLean will be good once it's really up and running.

54 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I think he’s good but he’s a playmaker not a defensive midfielder. He needs to be next to an athlete and then I think he will prosper, especially if he has a number 10 in front of him. 

This!!!!!!

Any midfield containing McLean and/or Rupp just isnt good enough for the Premier League, we should have learned that from 2 seasons ago.

After Skipp and Tettey left in the summer an defensive ball winning mid was TOP priority and we've signed everything but.

...still we've got a £10m 19 y/o Greek winger sitting on the bench..

24 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Any midfield containing McLean and/or Rupp just isnt good enough for the Premier League, we should have learned that from 2 seasons ago.

After Skipp and Tettey left in the summer an defensive ball winning mid was TOP priority and we've signed everything but.

...still we've got a £10m 19 y/o Greek winger sitting on the bench..

Good job too, don't ruin a 19 year old by throwing him in against two of the planet's top ten teams having only been in the country for a week. Especially with our fans, can you imagine? He has two bad games against world class opposition and before you know it he's got fans moaning about what a waste of money he is.

I suspect we'll see him Tuesday night and hope it's the first step to him becoming a productive regular.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Especially with our fans, can you imagine?

Even if he was good we'd probably have a go at his haircut or something.

• Like 1