Midlands Yellow

What went wrong today exactly

We should’ve bought some more players by now, chucked in any ol DM, lumped the ball forwards and we’d have won easily. Done.

Farke out, Big Sam in 

Delia out, stinking rich foreign owner in

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Combination of many things really. They are very good. We haven’t strengthened the midfield in the right way. Our tactics were incredibly naive. We can’t defend set pieces.

Right from the off with our stupid short goal kicks we invited them to press us which they did knowing we’d present the ball to them and they duly took advantage.

Right from kickoff the ball went back, we looked nervy and Man City almost got in. 

I think from that point we were not comfortable on the ball, and Man City press was too much to deal with. Had that rabbits in the headlights feel, maybe being in a large packed out stadium played a part in the opening minutes too? Who knows.

As a result, we gave nothing for Man City to think about, we didn't press them back, and also Pukki wasn't prepared to hold the halfway line to prevent their CB's from almost becoming playmakers.   Backing off and allowing them space is probably the worse thing we could've done in that opening 15 mins.   Very weak in midfield, needed someone physically tough in there willing to break up play.

Whether that was tactics, or Man City being too good i really don't know.  I think with Sargent on the pitch chasing down players would've maybe helped lift our play.  But i don't know, i think you just have to hand it to Man City as we were unable to play around them.  It was the press that killed us.

Edited by Google Bot

Outplayed, outclassed, out spent, one of them days. Us fans saw it as a bye anyway 😬

Well to start with, one of their players cost more than our entire team…so that definitely helps.  In fact, there’s probably several in there that fit that description.

We were always 90% likely to lose today, but we don’t seem to help ourselves - I think we need to learn to mix it up a bit in terms of farting about at the back v clearing it…we’ve not got that mix right.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Unfortunately Zimbo's injury (was it?) highlights the lack of depth in the CB department which meant we couldn't play 5 at the back without risking our entire central defence capability.

If ever you are going to adopt that formation, surely Man City would be that day.

Midfield is the problem. Lucas Rupp should be nowhere near the starting 11. Doesn’t offer anything going forward or defensively. Need to spend and spend big on two midfielders to stand any chance of staying in this league.

Have we not learnt anything from the last time. You need space, power, strength in the centre of the park to give yourself a fighting chance in this division and we don’t have that yet!

• Like 3

I can't help but feel we had a better 11 in our squad to play today. We'd still have lost, but it wouldn't of looked so relentless from Man City. 

Sargent instead of Cantwell would have been better. And I'd have considered Dowell or Tzolis ahead of Rupp or Gilmour. 

11 minutes ago, Block Y Seat 176 said:

£1.3 billion pounds

It wasn't just about that. That's an excuse people who don't watch games make. 

It’s a tough one, because you can lose 3-0 one week and be encouraged and then lose 5-0 the next and feel like we’ve regressed. Whilst it’s important to remember the two teams we played will likely be 1st and 2nd this season, the manner of the defeat as a result of what we can control ourselves is frustrating. 

I hate to use a cliche, but as a squad we have got to wise up and fast to what it’s going to take week by week. I feel like some games we need to change a little tactically to be a really horrible side to play against, anti football almost. Against sides like Man City, Chelsea etc it’s just too much of an ask for us to try to go toe to toe with them right now. We can switch it up again those in and around us, but today we were just left chasing shadows all over the pitch. 

I trust them to get it right, it’s going to take some time and a couple more signings, but that’s just my reading of today,

9 minutes ago, fredherring said:

It wasn't just about that. That's an excuse people who don't watch games make. 

I didn’t need to watch it. Forecasted 4-1 defeat after watching the Liverpool game using my ST at Carrow Rd.😉

I did think that Man City would capitalise on defensive frailties shown v Liverpool. Which is what they did.

Farke is pragmatic, we’ll just have to wait and see how he and the players react in the next few games.

We were one dimensional and easy to work out with no plan B, so they pressed us and starved our forwards. We had too little bite in the middle and were easily outmuscled- so EXACTLY like last time round - premiership ground hog day

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Opposition just too good, poor tactics or a combination of things? Humour by the way is allowed when offering answers. 

Have you ever frightened a squirrel?😉😀

1 minute ago, Herman said:

Have you ever frightened a squirrel?😉😀

A week ago last Tuesday. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

We were **** but they also brought Sterling and Mahrez off the bench because they can.

We're the moral victors and that's all that matters. Remember.

Hard to know how much weight to give to the limited pre season in the context of this game. 

• Like 1

I saw a stat posted earlier that Sergi Canos has made the same number of tackles as all three of our midfielders combined over the first two games. That says a lot. 

We were a beaten side before we walked on the pitch.

No enthusiasm, no pace, no passion, no fight, no intent, no confidence.

We threw the towell in.

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I saw a stat posted earlier that Sergi Canos has made the same number of tackles as all three of our midfielders combined over the first two games. That says a lot. 

It's easier to get near to Arsenal and Palace players than it is City and Liverpool?

• Like 1

Left back neglecting defensive duties

One midfielder hasn't adapted yet, one is too physically weak and gives the ball away too much and one is a kid who hasn't settled yet

Pukki not fit and has been flogged like a horse the last 2 years

Cantwell no pace and Rashica not adapted yet both of which limits us on the counter

Gibson and Hanley can't deal with crosses or corners

Lack of that one exceptional player that all other teams have that frighten the opposition. A Sarr, Saint-Maximin, Zaha, McNeil etc type who can take the ball from deep, dribble round players and carry the ball up the pitch to create chances from nothing

• Like 1

From the off they were straight at us and didn't relent for a minute.....In the first 25 mins Man City's goal could have been on the halfway line and we'd still have struggled to get anywhere near it......Fouling us (gamesmanship) to break our push forwards or when we attempted to clear our lines, therefore giving them time for their regrouping and reorganising.....They looked fitter and more composed and had a point to prove.....with a bit o' breaking up play bullying to put us in our place..... 

I would have initially started Josh Sargent with the Pukster on the bench..... and see how that would have made an impression or difference in the game.....Gotta give Sargent and more of the newbies a run out and game time on Tuesday.....

I can handle a defeat if we give it our all.....The squad will be landing in 20mins at Nodge.....I hope they don't hit the town and the Nightclub VIP lounges - but go home and get some rest as they'll bl00dy need it!......

• Like 1

Got to get in their faces, tackle and at least make it difficult to play against us, (if necessary play deeper to close the space), stop them passing behind our full-back at source.... far too easy....

Suggested last week, 4-4-1-1 with usual back 4, Sargent, Gilmour, PLM, Cantwell with Rashica behind Idah....   More defensive guile and strength / pace over the top... 

It's still pretty raw and I'm feeling irrational and moody but I can't help feeling some of the players are just happy to be on the same pitch as man City. Like tourists.

Anyone old enough to remember that vinny jones tackle on Steve mcmahon in the 88 Cup final.if not, YouTube it.  That's what we need. Maybe not quite the same as even in 1988 that could be a red but we need midfielders to not give a fk about who they are playing. To give the opposition a message that if they beat us they will be battered and bruised.

We are just pathetically easy 

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

Well to start with, one of their players cost more than our entire team…so that definitely helps.

We were always 90% likely to lose today, but we don’t seem to help ourselves - I think we need to learn to mix it up a bit in terms of farting about at the back v clearing it…we’ve not got that mix right.

Yes. Sometimes we need to get ugly.