Sign in to follow this  
Google Bot

Zonal Marking - Required for how we play?

This whole concept of Zonal marking, is it really a necessity for how we play? 

I get that it's deemed important for players to be in fixed areas when breaking with the ball. 

But we've never looked capable at set pieces playing this way, and there's no responsibility for which man you should be picking up.

I don't know if it's players incapable of competing aerially, or the system which lets us down - but we look so lost at times. If I could change one thing about us, or at least give it a try it would be to see how our defence faired with a man marking approach.

Not sure how much that would effect our ability to play it out from the back, though.  i.e. is this more of a Farke belief, or is it truly a necessity to fit our system?

Nearly every team in the Premier League zonal marks at corners. That's because it's the best system. Why do you think Guardiola and Klopp choose to do it this way?

Just now, Thirsty Lizard said:

Nearly every team in the Premier League zonal marks at corners. That's because it's the best system. Why do you think Guardiola and Klopp choose to do it this way?

I don't like it, I prefer man to man no pun intended 🤠😉. Zonal for me is well, a zone never scores but a player will, but there are faults with man to man also like if team isn't as expected than that player doesn't get picked up as wasn't discussed, where as zonal marking you can never forget your zone.

3 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Since clubs across Europe started zonal marking the number of goals conceded from corners has dropped by 80%

So we are in the 20%.

You still have to have the personnel.

Just leave 1 player up on halfway. Takes 2 of their defenders out of the equation and means we can bang it upfield and out of trouble rather than having it endlessly recycled into our penalty area.

11 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

This whole concept of Zonal marking, is it really a necessity for how we play? 

I get that it's deemed important for players to be in fixed areas when breaking with the ball. 

But we've never looked capable at set pieces playing this way, and there's no responsibility for which man you should be picking up.

I don't know if it's players incapable of competing aerially, or the system which lets us down - but we look so lost at times. If I could change one thing about us, or at least give it a try it would be to see how our defence faired with a man marking approach.

Not sure how much that would effect our ability to play it out from the back, though.  i.e. is this more of a Farke belief, or is it truly a necessity to fit our system?

It’s the second balls that are a problem. Today and last week we won most of the initial headers but then headed it into bodies or straight to unmarked opposition players. 

4 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Why do you think Guardiola and Klopp choose to do it this way?

Because they have the players to carry it out I imagine?

We only have two big men at CB, and in my mind they should be marking the biggest threats themselves, not being allowed to get a free head on goal.   I'm used to seeing CB's who rise up and clear ranks, it just doesn't happen nowadays.

As I look at it, the top players in his league all have an element of Physicality, technique and pace and that's why the cost the big money.   We generally bring in players with pace and technique, good on the ball.  But that means the mean average of physicality in the box for each set piece is below par.

Any strong forward at this level is going to read our Zonal plans and find holes in it.

A strong CB would make a massive difference to that average in the box, but if we haven't got that I find it silly to copy what the top teams do when you don't have the tools for it to work?   We're bargain basement hunters wearing Gucci suits at corners! 😉