Sign in to follow this  
Pyro Pete

Defensive midfielder

I think we'll step up the search now and push the boat out a little more. 

I remember in Farke's first season when we were tentatively looking for another CB going into the season, we got a massive reality check at Millwall and suddenly the club found 3.5m to buy Hanley. Hopefully today has a similar effect on people at the club and they will realise we cannot get away with playing Billy Gilmour in the holding role with no support from a ball winning midfielder. 

We also need a CB who can deal with crosses, probably just as urgently. 

1 minute ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I remember in Farke's first season when we were tentatively looking for another CB going into the season, we got a massive reality check at Millwall and suddenly the club found 3.5m to buy Hanley. Hopefully today has a similar effect on people at the club and they will realise we cannot get away with playing Billy Gilmour in the holding role with no support from a ball winning midfielder. 

Sadly there's getting blasted by Millwall and there's getting Blasted by Man City. I doubt we'll spend big again this summer.

Just now, KeiranShikari said:

We could have had 3 defensive midfielders today and still got spanked.

Yep, with how well they played we were never getting anything today. So going into these last two games I've been looking purely at performance and our midfield is too lightweight and incredibly easy to play through

1 minute ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Yep, with how well they played we were never getting anything today. So going into these last two games I've been looking purely at performance and our midfield is too lightweight and incredibly easy to play through

Which is exactly the problem from last time. So I’m not really sure why it wasn’t a top priority. But I’m not going to keep banging that drum and I’ll shut up now and let the Norwich boys do their thing!

£13m for Ajer with them keeping two clean sheets already looking well spent. 

We need to spend every penny we have on a quality CD who can deal with crosses and set pieces and a CDM to protect the middle. The club has to spend now, and they've got just over a week left. Webber said judge him at end of the window. The pressure is now on.

One hopes we still have £10m set aside for a CD, as we didn't spend it on Ajer

It is a pain, but we have to wait until we’ve finished the transfer window to see where we are - the Euros and Covid have seen to this being a slow/weird transfer window all-round, including for us.  SW/DF (and the board) must be aware of what we need and how important it is that we get it sorted.  

Two games in will not determine where we finish the season.  There’s one thing I’m sure of and it is that when sides we are ‘really’ competing with have played Liverpool and Man City, many will not have fared that much better than we did.

29 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

We need to spend every penny we have on a quality CD who can deal with crosses and set pieces and a CDM to protect the middle. The club has to spend now, and they've got just over a week left. Webber said judge him at end of the window. The pressure is now on.

Hardly an accolade against a sh!t Arsenal side and a toothless Palace side. We've just played 2 of the 4 best sides in the league

I guess we will see how toothless Arsenal are in a couple of matches time…bet they are suddenly “top quality opposition” then and we will be told we shouldn’t be alarmed etc etc 

2 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Hardly an accolade against a sh!t Arsenal side and a toothless Palace side. We've just played 2 of the 4 best sides in the league

Well we'll be playing a sh!t Arsenal in a couple of weeks so we'll see

The positive is that's Liverpool & man C out of the way. Forget minus 8 goal difference. Our season really starts now

1 minute ago, Samwam27 said:

The positive is that's Liverpool & man C out of the way. Forget minus 8 goal difference. Our season really starts now

You're aware we have to play them again? 😉

3 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I guess we will see how toothless Arsenal are in a couple of matches time…bet they are suddenly “top quality opposition” then and we will be told we shouldn’t be alarmed etc etc 

No - it won’t actually be a fair comparison, their game against Brentford should really have been postponed as Arsenal had a number of players out with covid.  

Edited by Branston Pickle

Exactly 👍. Let’s see how they get on against the cream of the league rather than the skimmed milk.

Never happy about defeats, but given Man City and Liverpool tend to win the league and beat literally every team in their path, I think a touch of realism amongst the delusion is needed.

Last seasons title winners and Champions League finalists Man City are class from ALL angles. Oliver Skipp or another CDM today wouldn’t have made a jot of difference.

7 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

They will probably have Aubameyang and Lacazette up front, a bit different to a 20 year old making his debut.

9 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Yes, well done for saying that knowing full well that their team is likely to be somewhat stronger than the scraped together side they put out on the opening day. 

Edited by Alex Moss

Sorry to say a defensive midfielder isn’t going to save us, Hanley & Gibson are fantastic championship defenders but are just not good enough to both be starting at this level. We needed a major step up in that area and we haven’t.

But it’s early as yet, but Ajer looks more of a bad choice not to stump up the cash as Brentford certainly look more solid then we do!

• Like 1

The Ajer transfer looks like it might epitomise our season. Didn’t want to pay just a few million more for the quality, walked away, a direct competitor stumped up the cash and low and behold, that player is proving the difference. Could have been excused for a less key role but we were desperate for a quality CB addition this window.

1 minute ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

The Ajer transfer looks like it might epitomise our season. Didn’t want to pay just a few million more for the quality, walked away, a direct competitor stumped up the cash and low and behold, that player is proving the difference. Could have been excused for a less key role but we were desperate for a quality CB addition this window.

How can you say that Ajer is making the difference? Yes they've kept 2 clean sheets. I watched the Arsenal game and we'd have kept a clean sheet that night. They were plop. And Palace will be one of the lowest scorers in the division..........again

How can you say that Ajer is making the difference? Yes they've kept 2 clean sheets. I watched the Arsenal game and we'd have kept a clean sheet that night. They were plop. And Palace will be one of the lowest scorers in the division..........again

Would we? We’ll find out in a few games time when we play them. Add we haven’t scored yet!

Edited by Indy

Just now, Don’t be Krul said:

Brentford have 2 clean sheets after adding a defender that they deemed Premier League quality. We didn’t. We don’t even look as though we’ve learnt any lessons from 2 years ago as to how important it is to keep tight at the back and stop p***ing around with it around our own area.

1 hour ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Webber / Farke have never been reactive with their vision. They will have had this summer partially planned once they got relegated from the prem two seasons ago.

1 hour ago, Samwam27 said:

Brentford prioritised two signings. A defensive midfielder and a centre back. It is airway bearing fruit. I know they have had much easier fixtures (helped by Arsenals complete no show) but these should have been our top priorities also not something we are scrambling around trying to sort in the last week of the transfer window. 

Just now, Jim Smith said:

Brentford prioritised two signings. A defensive midfielder and a centre back. It is airway bearing fruit. I know they have had much easier fixtures (helped by Arsenals complete no show) but these should have been our top priorities also not something we are scrambling around trying to sort in the last week of the transfer window. 

Yes, already have some breathing space. 

If we don't strengthen the midfield and get an enforcer in we will be relegated it's as simple as that.

Our midfield is the Gilmour Girls at the moment.

I would rather us kept Tettey than the nothing we have now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Window not closed? And people are carefully ignoring that Brentford didn’t have the firepower to gain a vital 3 points against a lower table opponent today. If that was Norwich then you can guarantee the same people wouldn’t have been bigging up the clean sheet that Ajer kept - that would be ignored to suit the mantra and they’d be complaining we didn’t score against or beat a likely relegation rival. Now those *are* the games that will make or break our season - not Man City or Liverpool.