The Bristol Nest

Manchester City Match Thread

35 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Got there in the end haven't they,

Streets infront of us and looked where we've both spent the last 20 years

At least we agree that the fans' attitude had nothing to do with it.

I remember many similar posts moaning that we weren't Sheff Utd a few seasons ago. They've currently got 1 point from 4 games in the Champ. Football is cyclical.

Edited by kirku

14 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

I think he's talented, but he's not yet suited to the system Farke likes to play. I mean, last season, when we're flying, you know spanking 7 past Huddersfield, where would Gilmour come into that side? 

He’s talented but far too lightweight to shine without some grit and muscle alongside him

Just now, kirku said:

Football is cyclical.

I remember many similar posts moaning that we weren't Sheff Utd a few seasons ago. They've currently got 1 point from 4 games in the Champ.

To be precise - no one wanted to be Sheffield United, to move up north and change our kit to red stripes. But some did want to comfortably stay up that year which Sheffield United did . 
Just for the record . 

3 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I'm going to biased because I automatically hate Hun s(um. 

Leave the pathetic sectarian nonsense out of it

1 minute ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

To be precise - no one wanted to be Sheffield United, to move up north and change our kit to red stripes. But some did want to comfortably stay up that year which Sheffield United did . 
Just for the record . 

Thank you for clarifying that, a truly valuable contribution 👍

3 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Just for the record . 

No, they wanted them to move down here and wear yellow and green.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, kirku said:

At least we agree that the fans' attitude had nothing to do with it.

I remember many similar posts moaning that we weren't Sheff Utd a few seasons ago. They've currently got 1 point from 4 games in the Champ. Football is cyclical.

It's shifted out the terrible owners, which as allowed them to be where they are now, surely your bright enough to see that?

• Haha 1

Just now, CDMullins said:

It's shifted out the terrible owners, which as allowed them to be where they are now, surely your bright enough to see that?

Interesting.

How has this all encompassing fan power worked out for Blackburn and Hull?

37 minutes ago, kirku said:

Leave the pathetic sectarian nonsense out of it

No.

And it's much more than sectarian. Vile fanbase full of knuckle-dragging racists, fake club that aren't actually even the Rangers of 20 years ago.

Hun s(um.

Edited by canarydan23
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

No.

And it's much more than sectarian. Vile fanbase full of knuckle-dragging racists, fake club that aren't actually even the Rangers of 20 years ago.

Hun s(um.

You've been on the beers again, haven't you?

Just now, Ken Hairy said:

Why am I watching MOTD?? 😂

I've turned it off as we walked out of the tunnel - I can't start drinking again. 

11 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Nope, I've been on your Mum.

You handle your drink as well as your "banter". Like a 14 year old.

Just now, kirku said:

You handle your drink as well as your "banter". Like a 14 year old.

Does that mean you're going to try and **** me?

Didnt notice at the game how soft the goals were, but having just watched the highlights the goals that we conceded were extremely soft. 

8 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Why am I watching MOTD?? 😂

Actually watching it back I thought we pretty well. If that Gundogan own goal goes in then who knows what could've happened after that? Fine margins in this league.

• Haha 1

Just now, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Actually watching it back I thought we pretty well. If that Gundogan own goal goes in then who knows what could've happened after that? Fine margins in this league.

I'm not sure I agree with you there mate, looking at it again it looked even worse than earlier. That defending was worse than schoolboy, and worse than anything we saw 2 years ago. 

9 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I'm not sure I agree with you there mate, looking at it again it looked even worse than earlier. That defending was worse than schoolboy, and worse than anything we saw 2 years ago. 

Wouldn't be saying that if Gundogan had wellied it into our own net (as he so nearly did) and then they scored two more own goals to make it 3-3 would you? As I said, fine margins...

(I was of course being sarcastic)

Our expected goals was 0.04, I'm not sure I've seen the xG stat that low before. So basically if we played that fixture out 25 times, we'd only be expected to score a goal once in those 25 games.... Thank **** we don't have to see that one play out.

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

4 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Anyone know why Giannoulis was taken off at half time?  (I'm not on social media).

Thought he was doing well first half, but Mumba looked great second half too.  Didn't notice that he took a knock or anything, so was it tactical?

he was leaving a huge hole in the back line on the left that allowed the first 2 goals in as the mc guys just strolled in to score twice. It happened over and over again. 

How was that Newcastle one offside???? I thought VAR wasn't going to overturn for someone's pubes being off? 

Giannoulis was taken off as Jesus was destroying him with his runs, and he did the same with Mumba.

Very surprised/disappointed Farke kept with the 4-3-3 today and did not go 5-4-1. The advantage the former should give you is more of an out-ball but that was non-existent from minute one. 

It’s always bizarre when the majority of fans can see Aarons and Giann are suited as wing-backs and in a perfect game to try this Farke actually created more space for Man City to play through down the wings. 

If you are then going to give them the space out wide, then you must be able to defend the low-centre, which we also miserably failed at. Even discarding the five goals, how many other low balls made it all the way across the 6 yard line begging to be tapped in? Atleast another three or four from memory. 

Yes, they are a world-class outfit. Yes, it was a free-hit, but lest not also forget this was without Kevin De Bruyne whipping in pin-point balls. A poor, poor performance from all around other than those away fans that made the long trip. 

Edited by Bovril
  • Like 1

Watched the whole game and it felt like the majority of our last games after the restart the last time we were in the premier league, we didn't look that interested, no real bite and we turned up as nice old Norwich. Looking around for some big characters. Genuinely hope we get something positive from a match soon as the longer it goes the more shot everyone's confidence gets. 

I think Hurricane has summed it well. The team appeared to lack belief they could compete and that’s only going to end one way. However, if and until the quality of our midfield improves, notably Rupp and Lees Melou, both of whom were effectively absent yesterday, we look set to become an embarrassment to the PL once again.

There was definitely a lack of belief to give it a go because there was a brief moment at the start of the 2nd half where we did push forward in numbers and suddenly we looked a much better proposition. But that was extremely brief alas!

But rather than lack of belief and effort, it seemed to me what we were lacking was in fact having any idea how to play:

- when we got the ball we often immediately gave it away through poor passes and touches eg passes going straight out for throws

- basic defending. Jermaine Jenas on MOTD said even against lesser teams our defenders will be picked apart

- Krul’s kicking to Aaron’s on the right first half was bad - light, floaty kicks that we’re easy to intercept. I know this because Man City mates I was (unfortunately) sitting with pointed out in 2nd half the difference with Edison’s kicking - firm and accurate passes. Would Angus be better with his distribution?

- Pukki - same as Liverpool - made runs all the time but there was no creativity to get the ball into his path

- No plan B when defence is under pressure. Imagine still having Holty in the side. I’m not for a second promoting long balls, however as an occasional option to mix it up, we don’t seem to have any other possibility. Against top sides our Plan A is not good enough

- Rasicha tried his best on the left wing, we didn’t seem to have an option on the right other than the occasional burst fro Aarons. Cantwell seemed to play more centrally. 

OVERALL - against Liverpool I took away quite a few positives from how we matched Liverpool in general play. Against Man City however the alarm bells are ringing. We need much better performances against Leicester and Arsenal to prove we have a chance of staying in this league. 

Yesterday’s woeful performance from both Farke and the players has heaped even more pressure on the next two games.

Leicester and Arsenal are not of the same standard as Liverpool and Manchester City, therefore they should be regarded as winnable games.

Would it be worth bringing Gunn into the firing line to preserve Krul’s back?

Jedi, if there was a bright, or at least less dark, point it was, arguably, Raschica who at least looked ‘lively’. Agree that Pukki looked leggy but in no sense was yesterday’s failure his - with an absent midfield Pukki could have run all day without touching the ball. Beating Leicester is essential.

It's extremely unlucky to get Liverpool and Man C on first two games as that will always be a baptism of fire. To get Man c 2nd game, after they've lost first, and at home for 1st time in 18 months, showcasing their £100m, they were always going to be on fire.

They're out of the way, it's shown the huge chasm in quality that teams have, and given our players a rude awakening. But all games now will be easier opposition than those two, and Farke has to get their heads up and performing so we're more competative.

Leicester won't hopefully be at the same frenetic pace as Man City's relentless attacks and quality, so we'll be better placed to judge this Norwich side after that game, and hopefully we'll see more confidence and optimism that we can compete at this level.

My biggest concern is we've left our priority positions to strengthen until last. Webber said judge him at end of window, but this could be a cruel last week of window and he's now under probably more pressure to deliver than ever before. We've decided to pull out of others deals for whatever reasons, but if, and I say if, clubs won't release players, or agree to sell at right price, Webber could be in a very difficult position come end of window, and NCFC might have yet another long and fruitless premier campaign to navigate without the right players